Gotta Watch: Kid drivers
A young boy drives a car while his father encourages him.
September 6th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Kid drivers

There are bad drivers. There are "beary" bad drivers and then there are kid drivers. You read that correctly - children getting behind the wheel and hitting the roadway years before they're legally allowed to do so. You've gotta watch these tiny drivers get behind the wheel and see what happens next.

A family drive – The whole family hops into the car for this seven-year-old's country drive. With mom and baby unbuckled in the back and dad filming the littlest driver in the front, the boy steers his away along the road.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2009/08/05/pkg.can.7.year.old.driver.ctv"%5D

Snack attack – A six-year-old boy was on a mission. This was no joy ride. He was hungry and headed to the nearest store for grub. Along the way, he had to stand up just to shift gears. Watch how this food run ends.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/04/18/or.kid.driver.kobi"%5D

I missed the bus – A six-year-old decides to grab the family's car keys and head to school after he misses his school bus. He's determined to take on the 10-mile trek and get to class on time.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/01/07/dnt.va.6.yr.old.car.crash.wtvr"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Gotta Watch
  1. shishta

If they can reach he peddles and it is NOT someplace where ANY type of traffic can go than I think it is ok, that kid driving the van with all of his parent unbuckled was the dumbest thing I have ever seen, it was raiing and all it would have taken is another car to swerve and they would all be dead.
    One of the reasons why 1 in 5 poeple on the road cannot drive is because people don't worry or look out for other drivers, they just drive completely oblivious of everything.

September 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Texas Pete

Still safer then those people who drive while texting.

September 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PK

The parents who allowed their young son to drive while mom and baby were unsecured in the back seat should be arrested for child endangerment and have CPS remove those kids from their custody IMMEDIATELY. Damn....

September 6, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Anon

There is NOTHING on the roads in Quebec. Except for a few well-known big cities, there is absolutely NOTHING OUT THERE but trees, trees, trees, trees, trees, and more trees!

And then some more trees!

September 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • ROCKWOOD

Sounds like a male dogs paradise!!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ROCKWOOD

I learned how to drive at my relatives in the country. Started off at 13 with a 3 on the column 1960 something Ford truck. But that was in the country......my cousin taught me and with my uncles permission. But I think the laws back then were that kids could drive on the gravel roads, but not the paved ones.

One time when I was 15....oops, can't tell that story or my mom might see it and I'd never hear the end of it.

But...I'm 50 now, and have never had an accident. Perhaps learning on the gravel roads of the country wasn't so bad after all.

September 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Job goadfly

You don't need anyones permission to Get behind the wheel, the license is permission. Drive is Commercial term to carry loads. Travel is your RIGHT, its not DRIVING. learn the difference or be a slave

September 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bigwilliestyles

Imo, some of you are n-u-t-s.

September 7, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. justathought

I guess I shouln't tell how my brother in law let his 4yr old drive his p/u truck standing up on the seat. He was all aone in the p/u truck. They lived way out in the country. My brother in law just put it in gear, let it "idle" while the kid steered the p/u down the road, he drove into the driveway and shut off the igniition to stop. (My sister was proud of her son, but blew her top at her husband.) This kid and his younger brother were opperating tractors by the time they were 6.

September 7, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |