Officials confirm 'credible but unconfirmed' 9/11 threat
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said "there's no reason for any of the rest of us to change ... our daily routines."
September 8th, 2011

Officials confirm 'credible but unconfirmed' 9/11 threat

[Updated at 10:05 p.m. ET] New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told reporters Thursday night that authorities are "taking additional precautions" given "new threat information" tied to the 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

These measures include "vehicle checkpoints around the city," more bomb-sniffing dogs around the city, increased towing of illegally parked cars and greater police staffing, according to Kelly.

[Updated at 9:56 p.m. ET] New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg told reporters Thursday night that while additional police will be deployed around the city amid reports of an "unconfirmed" terror threat to the city on September 11, "there's no reason for any of the rest of us to change ... our daily routines."

In an earlier statement, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo urged residents to be "cautious and aware" while adding, "There is no reason to panic." And D.C. Metro Police Chief Cathy Lanier said that authorities in the nation's capital are preparing for 9/11 anniversary events and noted "maintaining a certain sense of unpredictability is essential to the success of any security plan."

[Updated at 9:53 p.m. ET] U.S. officials said Thursday evening they have "specific, credible but unconfirmed" information about a potential threat against the United States coinciding with the 10th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks.

"We have received credible information very recently about a possible plot directed at the homeland that seems to be focused on New York and Washington, D.C.," a senior administration official told CNN Pentagon Correspondent Barbara Starr.

The official said the plot was believed to involve three individuals, including a U.S. citizen. U.S. officials believed the threat was a vehicle laden with explosives, but "the intelligence picture is not completely formed," the official said. "Not enough is known about the potential operatives and their plotting."

Another source gave CNN conflicting information about possible details of the threat.

A senior law enforcement official involved in briefings about the matter told CNN Justice Department Producer Terry Frieden that his best information is that the three individuals had not yet entered the United States.

The information came in around noon Wednesday, one official said.

A senior federal law enforcement official intimately involved in counterterrorism efforts told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King authorities "aren't sure if this is or real or just chatter." The official confirmed the threat was vehicle-related.

Officials said they were taking the threat seriously, while evidently trying to temper the news by saying such threats are commonplace during key events.

FULL STORY
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

One of my earliest and most important mentors had a collection of small statues of elephants.
    One reason was that she loved the animals, and the other was that she was a staunch conservative and Rupublican.
    I have one small elephant statue that a pupil brought me after singing Aida in Africa. I think that I may expand that into a collection.

September 9, 2011 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bill Schmalfeldt (@ParkyBill)

Uh, maybe this is just me? And I'm not the crispiest cookie in the jar or anything like that, but why do they tell us these things when there's nothing we can do about it? Wouldn't it be better to just tighten security, keep an eye out for these three jerks and the trucks? Because now that they know that WE know, won't they just change their plans and blow up something ELSE?

September 9, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. michaelfury

"why do they tell us these things when there's nothing we can do about it?"

That is the first question. The next question: Who wants you to be afraid?

"Fear is the mind-killer."

September 9, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
    • TrueFollower

That's funny, I thought that is what we wanted the government to do......

September 9, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. C. Methodius

We must always keep the memory and learn the lessons of 9-11; as the dangers are ever present. See how Obama attempts to re-write American history at http://downeastdooryard.blogspot.com/

September 9, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. s kel

Methodious you seem to be one of those stupid tea partyers. Let me remind you that bachman, palin and the former arkansas gov(I forgot the fools name allready) huckallby or somethinglike that along with your tea party leaders have allready attempted to rewite history to favor their right wing lies. Pres Obama has not. Oh and before you say something else stupid, I was at the Pentagon on Sept. 11 , 2001 as a firefighter than later in Oct. helped dig at ground zero in NY.

September 9, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • rhymeskeema

this is you: "your dogmatic political point of view is inferior to my equally misguided dogmatic political view, making you stupid and me smart. Why? Because I gorge myself on news that supports my political views."

September 9, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. My little pony

My Elephant has the biggest fat lard ass of them all. How dod it get to be so overly obese? Good qustion. How in the hell can an Elephant's ass get so freaking huge, when all it has to eat through is a tiny little Donkey head? (or whatever foreign nation it tramples...Donkey head or no.) Get it? No? Dang. Fat amd stupid.

September 9, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. My little pony

My little pony is nice. Your Donkeyaphant is mean. Mean, and fat. Get it yet? No? Dratz. Sure know how to get that oil, don'thcha. Sure know how to get that hiv, don'tcha. Sure know how to get that debt too. How about them childrem? You know how to get at them too. But'cher best at gettin them kids. World leader in that one. Get it? No? And we know why donkaphant don't want to get it, huh.

September 9, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. My little pony

Hey. Does that donley head on the dashboard of your car bobble when you hit a bump? What? No way. Your lord and savior doesn't get rattled over that. That's the sound of your own sabres rattleing. Kill. Yay! Be killed.Cry. Murder. Oopsy. Be murdered. We gotta do sumpin' bout that and a lickety split too.

September 9, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. RUFFNUTT (ELF SLAYER & PURPLE KUSH SMOKER , )

they should just ban the miuslims for that week and be llike... muslims get out!!!

September 9, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. bobrock

Just another reason we we must stop acting like idiots and stop respecting religion (and religious people) as if we are dealing with a rational dogma/philosophy and people.

September 9, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. rhymeskeema

such serious fades from official people! must be very credible and not in anyway a threat to fall in line.

September 9, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rhymeskeema

Hey I think I saw someone in dange of forgetting 911. Can I citizen's arrest them?

September 9, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. rckmom

" Officials confirm 'creditable but unconfirmed".....isn't that an oxymoron????? God help us from the idiots in charge!!!

September 10, 2011 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. debbiepenn

However, U.S. officials claimed that the plot never went beyond the planning phase. http://bit.ly/rggOYU

September 11, 2011 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rachel Thompson

more lies- the military industrial complex/ police state runs on fear

September 11, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |