Tweets and blogs address 9/11 emotions
Peter Samuelson, 6, tires on a firefighter hat after a memorial service Sunday at Old St. Patrick's Church in New York City.
September 11th, 2011

Tweets and blogs address 9/11 emotions

Twitter users and bloggers were keen Sunday to share tributes to the victims and heroes of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Frequently used Twitter hashtags included #Sept11, #NeverForget, #WTC, #FDNY, #Wherewereyou, #911whereiwas, #NYC, #godblessamerica, and #RIP 9 (which probably was supposed to be 9/11, but Twitter cut it off after the slash).

While many tweets sounded the same notes of honor for the dead and condolence to their families, a few stood out. Some examples:

FDNYnews: Today we honor the 343 #FDNY members & thousands of others killed 10 years ago. They were all heroes.

Queen Rania of Jordan: As we remember that tragic morning ten years ago today, let us work together for better understanding and reconciliation.

1PolicePlaza: Today we remember the 23 NYPD Officers, NYC's finest that were killed at the site of the WTC.

Anonym_Iran: On 2001/09/11, thousands and thousands Iranians went instantly in the streets with candles in homage to the victims.

Rachel Sklar, editor-at-large, Mediaite.com: Hold ya head, NYC ... still the greatest city in the world. Salute, 143 (143 is code for "I love you")

JennymontyinSD (Jennifer Montgomery): I was working in the US Capitol, the Let's Roll heroes of Flight 93 prob saved my life. Peace, Love, & Remembrance to all.

Pandaa_TC: It's hard to think that the victims of 9/11 were home sleeping in bed with their families 10 years ago. RIP 9/11.

Jeffhardyforevr, a New Yorker named Dawn: Unfulfilled unfinished undone and innocent. The sadness n stress is washing over me like a black cloud. Miss you SO much Joey RIP 9/11/01

New York poet Amalie Flynn completed a year-long project to post a short poem every day to remember 9/11 and honor its victims and heroes on her blog at http://septembereleventh.wordpress.com/.

A blogger called Star Bear on WordPress.com wrote, among other things, "Things are changing, some minds are changing. There are quiet, joyful voices singing in harmony. Peace to you this day, may your heart be filled with peace - and joy."

Post by:
Filed under: History • September 11 • Terrorism • Twitter • U.S.
  1. bobcat2u

My heartfelt condolences to any and all who were affected by this.

September 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Troll of 2:39

hi I am a stupid troll with very little education I can't spell joeys fuLl name. I don't like joey cuz he has a good life and has a positive outlook at life. I am opposite of that and I am stupid to. Please forgive me. Gotta go back to my jail cell. Computer time is over.

September 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gung hoe

I know that's not JIF above. That troll doesn't respect sensitive blogs. That is so sad.

September 11, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. starbear

Thank you for noticing quiet voices.

September 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

So many messages and so many people gone. How sad. And how could anyone be so heartless as to troll anyone, not just Joey, on this thread. I find it amazing. Why such lack of respect?

September 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Not me<

September 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RuffNutt

Many different nationalities died that day,not just americans. Wish we could go back in time and stop it. Hey fakey JIF-you are one sick cow.

September 11, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT ( TROLL SLAYER & KUNG-FU PANDA TRAINER )

@FAKEY.. LAME

September 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sharon

Sad thread but I read the happy and the sad articles. We need to re-live it otherwise we are just turning our backs on the victims. That's something that we can't do. Who is that person posting under Joey's name. I've been reading and blogging here for half a year. I know that isn't JIF. What kind of a sicko would do that in a thread like this has me baffled.

September 11, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

T.T

September 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ali Baba

I wanna hear a story!

September 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Yosemite Sam

You better read my son Ali Baba a story or im gonna throw ya in the boilin oil rabbit!

September 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. White Rabbit

Here- take this and follow me. I will show you how deep the rabbit hole goes!

September 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. George Patton

Aren't we kind of running it into the ground over 9/11? After all, what we did to some other countries is immeasurably worse than what happened to us on 9/11. For instance, what about the horrific 1972 Christmas bombings of Hanoi, North Vietnam for 13 days on end, using those ungodly B-52's? That makes one feel ashamed to even be an American since no decent person would take pride in such an atrocity!!!

September 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • gung hoe

Thank you, George. I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, yours is about the only intelligent post here on this web page.

September 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. RELAX

MY OPINION! GOD SEE'S EVERYTHING WE ALL DO AND HE WILL HAVE HIS REVENGE

September 11, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. gung hoe

Last post not me was it geogey

September 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gung hoe

Hey moma sorry bout RAMS Lions are winners haha just kidding

September 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |