Tweets and blogs address 9/11 emotions
Peter Samuelson, 6, tires on a firefighter hat after a memorial service Sunday at Old St. Patrick's Church in New York City.
September 11th, 2011

Tweets and blogs address 9/11 emotions

Twitter users and bloggers were keen Sunday to share tributes to the victims and heroes of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Frequently used Twitter hashtags included #Sept11, #NeverForget, #WTC, #FDNY, #Wherewereyou, #911whereiwas, #NYC, #godblessamerica, and #RIP 9 (which probably was supposed to be 9/11, but Twitter cut it off after the slash).

While many tweets sounded the same notes of honor for the dead and condolence to their families, a few stood out. Some examples:

FDNYnews: Today we honor the 343 #FDNY members & thousands of others killed 10 years ago. They were all heroes.

Queen Rania of Jordan: As we remember that tragic morning ten years ago today, let us work together for better understanding and reconciliation.

1PolicePlaza: Today we remember the 23 NYPD Officers, NYC's finest that were killed at the site of the WTC.

Anonym_Iran: On 2001/09/11, thousands and thousands Iranians went instantly in the streets with candles in homage to the victims.

Rachel Sklar, editor-at-large, Mediaite.com: Hold ya head, NYC ... still the greatest city in the world. Salute, 143 (143 is code for "I love you")

JennymontyinSD (Jennifer Montgomery): I was working in the US Capitol, the Let's Roll heroes of Flight 93 prob saved my life. Peace, Love, & Remembrance to all.

Pandaa_TC: It's hard to think that the victims of 9/11 were home sleeping in bed with their families 10 years ago. RIP 9/11.

Jeffhardyforevr, a New Yorker named Dawn: Unfulfilled unfinished undone and innocent. The sadness n stress is washing over me like a black cloud. Miss you SO much Joey RIP 9/11/01

New York poet Amalie Flynn completed a year-long project to post a short poem every day to remember 9/11 and honor its victims and heroes on her blog at http://septembereleventh.wordpress.com/.

A blogger called Star Bear on WordPress.com wrote, among other things, "Things are changing, some minds are changing. There are quiet, joyful voices singing in harmony. Peace to you this day, may your heart be filled with peace - and joy."

Post by:
Filed under: History • September 11 • Terrorism • Twitter • U.S.
  1. OMG

Rams lost? ( shaking my head)

September 11, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Yeah your suprised I know. lol The first 15 min. was hopefu. the rest was injuries and despair. I shook my head so many times I may need therapy.lol

September 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

Well according to SUH our nose takle ,he said we will be 16 0 good start

September 11, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

show offs.lol

September 11, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gung hoe

Ya thats normally us oh well hows the cards

September 11, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Scottish Mama

I think they are almost out of it, darn brewers.

September 11, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

Always a bridesmaid.

September 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gung hoe

Ya but moma if the lions ever went to the super bowl there would be a earth quake From people in mich passing out

September 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

gung we bought our PSLs in football right before they went all the way. we have gone to every home game without fail since. It's the hope or I guess we would not sit thru the many losers also.

September 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gung hoe

Its almost like our sports teams are trying to pull our economy out of the funk

September 11, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Hope the human motivator.

September 11, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. gung hoe

Its almost like our sports teams are trying to pull our economy out of the funk Tigers magic number 7

September 11, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Scottish Mama

I think we were 41/2 back for wild card. I do not know what we did today. Like I said always a bridesmaid. the cards are always fun to watch. Pujols is community orientated and involved would hate to lose his kind in our town. We like for people to settle here and make it their home.

September 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. gung hoe

Believe me nothng is as enjoyable as a 0 and 16 season

September 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Depends if you have a snort or two or three.....

September 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. s kel

Hey all.

September 11, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

s kel have to say hello to you before I go dear sir. I imagine your day has run the gambit and you looked dashing in your uniform?

September 11, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Scottish Mama

gung I am gonna retire. It has been a full day and I want people who want to post their thoughts of 9/11 here. Thanks for the conversation. Luck to you and your Lions. Scottish

September 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gung hoe

That seems to happen here we have players traded away still live here DETROIT has worse name than it is Houston much more scary to me

September 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mad Hatter

This blog is for comments for 9/11 victims and you guys make it a football blog. WOW. Condolences to family of the victims lost on this day's anniversary. Salute to our active military men and women. Much love and respect to you all.

September 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. s kel

lol thank you Scottish Mama, I did was stopped by strangers just to get pics with me in it.,they were mostly tourists at memoral siteat pentagon.

September 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

s kel went to other site and caught you there. I guess you were here. A day late and a dollar short. Celebrity and spread the word. Glad to see you wore the dress uniform with all the ribbons, and you were dashing.lol Sleep tight gentle-man.

September 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |