32 arrested for selling waste cooking oil as new
Chinese police inspect illegal cooking oil, better known as "gutter oil" seized during a crackdown in Beijing last year.
September 13th, 2011

32 arrested for selling waste cooking oil as new

Thirty-two people have been arrested in China for selling cooking oil recovered from gutters behind restaurants, the state-run Xinhua news agency reports.

China's Ministry of Public Security said it recovered more than 100 tons of the illegal so-called "gutter oil," the report said.

The arrests came after a six-month investigation that spanned 14 provinces, according to Xinhua.

The state-run China Daily, citing a report in the Beijing Times, said the oil comes from restaurant gutters, leftover pieces of pork and poultry fat. It is refined at illegal plants that remove impurities with calcium carbonate and neutralize acidity with alkali.

The oil then is repackaged and sold with customers unable to tell its origins, China Daily reported. Testing at state-run facilities showed some of the oil met safety guidelines, China Daily reported, citing the Beijing Times.

Authorities shut down six underground production sites, Xinhua reported.

Earlier this year, authorities destroyed two illegal cooking oil production facilities in Guangdong province, Xinhua reported in May.

An oil container at one of those plants had sanitary napkins, plastic bags and other garbage in it, according to the Xinhua report.

Post by:
Filed under: China • Crime • Food
  1. James

Gross, why not process it into biodiesel for China's rapidly growing auto market?

September 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sean

That's because, No Tickee No Shirtee!

September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. YC

I am chinese but I don't like China and I hate a lot chinese business people. I hate chinese government. I hate some chinese people doing things on the surface and cheating other people no matter chinese or others. I wish I could do something to punish those people and I wish I could save some innocent kids. I feel so sorry about chinese people hert other people.

September 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. banasy©

S kel is in the Washington, DC area.

As for this story, I got nothing.
    Oh, wait-ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

September 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Scared

The same things DID happen here before the FDA. It is what sparked the govnt to create the FDA. Specifically in the early 1900's Coconut was becoming very popular for sweets like candy bars and cakes. In order to cut costs some candy makers were using splintered bones mixed with sugar and real coconut. This and other practices like it spawned the FDA

September 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • meccano

FDA? I thought all government agencies and regulations were bad and things like science and medicine were the works of the devil?

September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • JLV

Actually a book by Upton Sinclair about the meat packing industry called The Jungle, that was meant to get people to vote for social programs and support unions instead grossed people out and made them call for the creation of the FDA.

September 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • karma sutra

China is run by tea partyers.

Do not regulate any industry, let crooks thrive.

Just how did republicans get rich ?

September 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • boogietime

Upton Sinclair was a fiction writer you know. And the meat packing part was like 10 pages of the book the Jungle.

September 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Edward R. Murrow

It's not the Chinese people's fault that they have no souls...

September 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Bob in NOLA

What a bunch of arrogant Americans running their mouths (or keyboards) deriding China when they have never been there and don't know what their talking about. Shame on you for looking down your nose at a country that is better than America in many ways

September 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bugmenot

Why don't you finish yer kimche before you start spewin'.....You be spoutin' effluent.

September 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • bugmenot is an idiot

Kimchee is Korean you fool.

September 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

I have there, including the province mentioned in the article.I think it is worse than what of people are saying.There are very few thing better in China than in The US.

September 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara Lee

I have been to China and it was disgusting. The river near the office was filled with raw sewage....the majority of people are dirty poor and public bathroom "squatter..yuck"!

Never know what kind of meat you are really eating ...rat, cat, dog, etc. By the time I left I was fasting .. good thing I was there only for 2 weeks. Nasty...Nasty...........and they steal ... movies, music, product designs, etc!

September 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dominic

Better in many ways, except when it comes to regulating cooking oil, human rights, child slavery, freedom of speech, etc...I could go on and on...

September 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Hey 'Bob in NOLA', how much FEMA and BP dollars did you cash in on? Do you think China looks after their population like the US did in NOLA?

September 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Drill Press

We no see cat of yours. You no call anymore.

September 13, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Husker69

too buku

September 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. boogietime

Is this the Chinese version ofl finger lickin good?

September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bugmenot

Depends on where your finger was.

September 13, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. YC

I hate some of chinese people althoug I am a chinese. I don't know what should I say. I wish there are some protesters stand up. Most dirty business people should go to hell.

September 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. peter

"Testing at state-run facilities showed some of the oil met safety guidelines, China Daily reported, citing the Beijing Times."

just gonna leave this here

September 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. George

And I ate a lot of egg rolls when I was in China. Arrrgh!!!! Sanitary napkins??? More arrrrrgh!!!

September 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Repstyle

Yes, I'll have the Poo Poo platter, maxi, heavy flow please.

September 13, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. volksmaniac

There hasn't been any decent fries since they stopped deep frying them in pork fat .

September 13, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. R.I

forget to tell everyong, Please don't eat at chinese restaurant in U.S, especially Fried Rice or Fried something. Those oil used again and again even already dark. I worked at many chinese restaurants and they all are similar. Restaurant people only eat food what they cook separate from customers.

September 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply