September 15th, 2011

Quakes hit off Cuba, Japan and New Zealand

[Updated at 10:39 a.m. ET] The U.S. Geological Survey has revised downward the magnitude of Thursday morning's earthquake off Cuba to magnitude 5.1 from magnitude 6.0.

[Updated at 5:20 a.m. ET] A magnitude 6.0 earthquake hit off the southeastern coast of Cuba early Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake was centered 77 miles north of Montego Bay, Jamaica, and 370 miles southeast of Havana, Cuba. It hit at 4:43 a.m.

Forty-three minutes earlier, a magnitude 6.2 earthquake rumbled off the east coast of Japan, the USGS reported.  No tsunami warning was issued.

Both quakes were shallow, striking at a depth of six miles.

And seven minutes before the Japan quake, a magnitude 6.0 quake was recorded off the coast of New Zealand, according to the USGS.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Cuba • Earthquake • Japan • Natural Disasters • New Zealand
  1. Harbinger

JESUS JUST LEFT CHICAGO!!

I HEAR HE IS BOUND FOR NEW ORLEANS!!

Of course he will most likely work from one end to the other and all points in between.

September 15, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Herman in Anaheim

WHEN IS THE BIG DISASTER REDICTED, NOVEMBER 22. Does Alquada claim such powers as to take credit for these and futher disasters?

September 15, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oh no!

I forgot when this year's Apocalypse takes place. Wasn't it in May? Oops, I missed it.

September 15, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. God your creatiinist fromntje biblebelt, aka the Tea Party.

Half of you americans will somehow link this to your almighty God, that savior that created land. I say it's the aftershock of your deregulated banking economy crumbling down, hitting rick bottom so hard it's shacking the whole world. To think that some of you will probably vote tea party scares me more than earthquakes...

September 15, 2011 at 6:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frackle

I am sure half of us american's won't attribute it to god, now islam is another story. Better to vote Tea Party then to be a Tea Bagger..

September 15, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
    • LaffinAtYou

Your mangling of the English Language is much scarier than tea or earthquakes could ever be.

September 15, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Deep North

Damn Neutrinos!

September 15, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. S.E.S.

Think what you want and say what you will. But I think the good lord about had his fill.

September 15, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • DC603

How do you know what God is thinking or feeling?

September 15, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Deedee

Weird, all around the
    Same time. It's 3am here
    In California, we just had one
    Small one but kind of annoyed it woke me up, opened my eyes made sure the house is good and
    Now going back to bed....

September 15, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anna

felt it too

September 15, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
    • she's royal

Wow.....is that often occurring your way? I'm in NY and my people freaked out over a tiny quiver....except for my Haitian family members. They laughed at us. Shoutout to Spring Valley and Brooooooklyn NY!!!

September 15, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. Herman in Anaheim

IM IN california and did not feel it. BUYING PROPERTY IN Nevada to get Future Beach Front Property!

September 15, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Daniel toman

PRAISE THE LORD! Yes, the LORD is coming but the 7 and a half year period has not yet begun. GOD BLESS!

September 15, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oh no!

He got here last week. I saw him on Naples beach last weekend. Quite a tan.

September 15, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Marie

When will it begin? It seems like it is here now. All the signs and people going crazy. Just like Sodom and Gomorah. Scarey.

September 16, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fact Wino

It isn't that hard to look this stuff up http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Magnitude 6.0+ earthquakes happen almost every day – though 3 clustered like this is somewhat rare it does happen.

Sorry, no Apocalypse – at least not today.

September 15, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • MissMessy

Easy to look up yes, harder to make the conspiracy theorists understand... Not worth the trouble in fact.

September 15, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Fact Wino

@MissMessy – Oh I wasn't saying the CIA doesn't control the weather ... which they CLEARLY DO along with Trilateral commission and the Free Masons.

I was just saying that earthquakes happen every day.

September 15, 2011 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
    • LaffinAtYou

Fact Wino–If you are insinuating that the CIA doesn't control earthquakes as well, you are tragically naive.

September 15, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
    • MissMessy

Obviously a comet is making these quakes.

September 15, 2011 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Fact Wino

Wait – are you laughing at me or with me?

Pffft – CIA controller earthquakes is CRAZY – not like controlling the weather .... and the secret arks the government is building for 2012 ... I saw it in a movie so it is TRUE

September 15, 2011 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
    • MissMessy

It's the neutrinos getting angry! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jUP1k-PKh0 (one of the best 2012 stand up routines tbh)

September 15, 2011 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. simin a

These quake has sings when they want to hit every one said difffrent but not yet my way ? It hit every time , Evnthought oll pepole arond me wonder ????-i did admit last to cnn no body bowder to follow up . I guess the the think I am out if my mind. No I know beliv me whe I say it will happen I am I am teaching my son in case some thing happen .well cnn u do have my e-mai address if u are intrested u can email me I do not want make any money by this yet.

September 15, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Big R

I was just wondering if so and so was as smart as a fart. But as my mother's computer is concerned she doesn't have one fug-nuts! Besides this is all about Jesus freaks and they're claims of the Great Apocolipse! Both are re-tarded! But I am very clever and I thank you for noticing!

September 15, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Praise the Load

Huh? Are you responding to a post – envision the reply button. You also need to visualize a spell checker and a grammar checker.

What does your mother have to do with anything and why do we care about her computer?

September 15, 2011 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. God

Sorry, I slipped on Jesus's robe on my way out to ride my Harley. My bad, didn't plan to shake

September 15, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fact Wino

Just remember, God – If you shake it more than twice you are playing with it.

September 15, 2011 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Only one shake. Two and you're going to hell.

September 15, 2011 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. Herman in Anaheim

im 10 days older than Elves and Im sure he is singing Shake Raddle and Roll or Gonna Rock Around the Clock Tonight in Heaven causing all this shaken going on.

September 15, 2011 at 6:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. fernando

One word....ELENIN......look it up

September 15, 2011 at 6:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fact Wino

One word .... SCIENCE .... look it up

September 15, 2011 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

@Fact Wino– You're spoling his fun. There's apparently no meaning to life unless you think that you're going to be here when it all ends.

September 15, 2011 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Fact Wino

Sorry, I will keep my facts and reasoning to myself.

September 15, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Good. That stuff will get you in trouble. Look what happened to Galileo. "The Earth is firmly fixed; it shall not be moved." -Psalms 104:5 (lol!)

September 15, 2011 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. Scottish Mama

When is the next apocalyptic date?

September 15, 2011 at 6:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oh no!

It was in May. You're late. Sorry.

September 15, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |