September 15th, 2011

Quakes hit off Cuba, Japan and New Zealand

[Updated at 10:39 a.m. ET] The U.S. Geological Survey has revised downward the magnitude of Thursday morning's earthquake off Cuba to magnitude 5.1 from magnitude 6.0.

[Updated at 5:20 a.m. ET] A magnitude 6.0 earthquake hit off the southeastern coast of Cuba early Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake was centered 77 miles north of Montego Bay, Jamaica, and 370 miles southeast of Havana, Cuba. It hit at 4:43 a.m.

Forty-three minutes earlier, a magnitude 6.2 earthquake rumbled off the east coast of Japan, the USGS reported.  No tsunami warning was issued.

Both quakes were shallow, striking at a depth of six miles.

And seven minutes before the Japan quake, a magnitude 6.0 quake was recorded off the coast of New Zealand, according to the USGS.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Cuba • Earthquake • Japan • Natural Disasters • New Zealand
  1. technutter

THIS MIGHT BE ELENIN.... WHAT THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA DOES NOT WANT YOU TO HEAR. THERE IS A CELESTIAL BODY PASSING THE EARTH'S TRAJECTORY... DO SOME RESEARCH!!!!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqKsJwMhCt0&w=640&h=390]

September 15, 2011 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

This was already proven false on a previous page in this forum. Move along sir.

September 15, 2011 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
    • technutter

Oh no!

You are quite the troll, and probably have little mathematical background. These theories cannot be dis-proven until after the time is passes.

September 15, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
    • the prophet

Hi thank you for the Info....I too anticipate a massive a celestial body of energy, stretching of our magnetosphere transferring this energy to our tectonic plate thus causing earthquakes, more importantly faults will open and volcanic eruptions will occur, our atmosphere will be consumed and we all are dead. In addition to what is coming, I am starting to see activities from the son our son is acting up with massive burst and flairs, this energy is reaching our magnetosphere thence stretching it and transferring it to our tectonic plates causing earth shakes. People think earthquakes are caused from within our earth, I doubt that I believe there from space and our son is a major player, the celestial body is an addition to that. I am predicting a massive earthquake will hit in Las Vega before year end, where to earth will shake and the entire desert will plunge into the earth by at list 1000 feet below sea level, in addition Yellowstone will erupt.

September 15, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • technutter

YES. There truly may be something going on here. Do some research on Michio Kaku!!! He will be known as the Einstein of our day.

September 15, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Your theories about Elenin are about as sound as your theories regarding my mathematical background. Don't speak about subjects that you have no knowledge of. I guess we'll see what happens on October 17 when I take my morning run. Unless I get hit by a bus by then, which has a higher probability of occurring than Earth being affected by Comet Elenin.

September 15, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • technutter

It's not necessarily how big the bus is, but how many atoms are packed inside it. I do hope you are able to participate in your planned run.

September 15, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • the prophet

CNN is blocking my post they do not want to spread panic

September 15, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Ok, I did a little bit of math, using the Gravitational Equation: F= Gm1m2/r^2

Assuming that your little comet (4km in diameter is pretty small by astronomical standards) is made of 100% tungsten (chosen for ridiculously high density and to maximize the gravitational force) at it's closest point of approach of .234 AU (a quarter of the way to the sun, or 35,006,000 km)
      Then the gravitational force of Elenin on the earth is approximately 1.18*10^12 times as large as the moon. In laymans' terms, one person standing on a 10 foot tall tower has the same effect on the earth as Elenin did at its closest point of approach.
      I welcome anyone to redo my calculations.

September 15, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

I apologize, that's 1.18×10^-12 (slight difference...) forgot the minus sign. :)

September 15, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Scott, you're just inciting them. They're going to respond with something like "you have no idea what you're talking about" and reference something about it being a dwarf star that is so dense that hadrons cannot exist in their normal states. Therefore, it can't be "tungsten" or any other element in the periodic table. It's just a super dense ball of subatomic particles that's headed right for us! You're right, just be comfortable knowing that. :)

September 15, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Inquisitive

Why were these events reported in reverse order? But before that, another quake. And before that another quake. Dumb journalism.

September 15, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. Duh

But quakes are not related to each other. One cant cause another. Thats like saying Bank of America is a good bank.

September 15, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

But they are a good bank! They've been helping the executives of Bank of America make tons of money. Where would those poor souls be without BofA?

September 15, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
    • christmineng

I am not a geologist, but i believe quakes 'could' be related to each other.

If one quake occurs and causes a fault line to move, another fault line could shift (quake) as a result.

September 15, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Trust me I'm a scientist and yes I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night

You are an idiot. Of course quakes are related fool. Do some research on tectonic plates.

September 15, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

....Of course quakes relate to eachother...didnt u ever take 3rd grade science class? DUH is right...

September 15, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ginny

We had a 3. 0 quake in center point/trussville AL(a little ene of birmingham,AL) wed a little before 6pm w/2 small aftershocks. no struckturat damage anywhereh just shaken windows, dishes & the like. seems like the worlds' tetonic plates everywhere are doing a little rearranging. it seems like if one's gotta move & release presure in one area it puts pressure on the rest & something's gotta give somewhere else. could this be a sign of the "big one's" coming soon? especially if places like b'ham, AL are getting quakes that donjt normally donpjt get them?

September 15, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
    • lynseypug

Got any fracking near there? I'm convinced that's what caused the quake swarms in Arkansas.

September 15, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Herman in Anaheim

Gold does not float and does not tarnish so it will not float away and keep its value during the flood, cut it does have a melting point so its value could flow down the sewer back into the ocean so we can have anther 49er gold rush! Was Fort KNOX in thr Heat Belt or Flood zone. Maybe a tornado could hit Fort Knox, US treasury NY Fed Reserve send the money and gold flying and spread thewealth to solve Obamas unemployment problem.

September 15, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

How about this. When the Apocalypse happens, you take all the gold. We'll take the food and water, and meet back in 2 weeks. Okay?

September 15, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. gina

This was from azcentral last night breaking news.Police: Scottsdale Airport tower told officer they observed #meteor activity. Did you see it? This was around midnight a meteor was seen across arizona, san diego,california and my mom used to say that signs from the heavens meant disasters on earth well now this morning and all these earthquakes at once. I think she was right. Revelations in the bible. Its just a matter of time before the big one hits California.

September 15, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Tod

Really? my dad used to say that whenever someone touches himself/herself, it mean disasters on earth. I think he was right. It's just a matter of time before the big one hits my backyard.

September 15, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. j

The Earth is crying out...the return of Jesus is soon...

September 15, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. Steve

Correction,there were 4 – 6+ Magnitude Quakes, one in Alaska yesterday...4 in less than 24 hours...hmmm..http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_big.php

September 15, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. ckelley

It's not God or Jesus or any other nonsensical religious occurrence. Get your incredibly gullible heads out of your butts and read something based on fact for a change. You might find it refreshing to know what's ACTUALLY happening rather than what some centuries-old storybook is telling you.

September 15, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Bert

I would rather listen to a centuries old book that has stood the test of time, than someone who makes stuff up in his much younger head!

September 15, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Yes, because listening to something new (and correct) is much worse than listening to a very old lie. How many generations thought the Earth was flat?

September 15, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • ckelley

Riiiiiight. Because the Bible wasn't made up. No way, uh-uh.

I don't understand the "much younger head" part, but whatever. I guess not making sense just comes with the territory.

September 15, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • DC603

Yes, it makes so much sense to ignore science. Your book has withstood the test of time? Sure, it's great reading... but saying, "because the bible says so" isn't fact.

September 15, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Yes, and science can often be updated as new information is discovered and technology evolves to test theories. Trying to alter a religion starts wars. Big ones.

September 15, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. boyamidumb

The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!

It's dropping all of the whackos all over the planet!!

Look guys even if it were the end – NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT SO ENJOY THE SHOW!!!

September 15, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. George

Earthquakes on a tectonically active planet? Preposterous! There is no precedent in history for earthquakes or floods or ... oh wait. Yes there is. Billions of years of it.

Get over it people, the end is NOT near. Not for a long, long (x a billion) time. So quit your fanaticism, pay your bills, and quit blaming God. If you were a true believer you'd welcome the end times, anyway. Stop running around like Chicken Little, and live your life not in fear but in curiosity to learn the unknown.

September 15, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. the prophet

hello my post

September 15, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. the prophet

why you blocking my post

September 15, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Haydon

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at you people and your crazy meteor and celestial body comments. You people that have comments about religion being nonsensical need to wake up. First of all God is real. Even a scientist can't explain how life began. Simple fact=you can't take inorganic material (rocks, dirt etc) and somehow mix them in some primordial soup and all of the sudden POOF organic life. Simply doesn't work. A very simple yet true condition of life itself. So maybe you people who slam the bible should pick it up and actually read it before commenting

September 15, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

There's about as much proof of Him existing as there is proof of Him not existing. Using an indirect "proof" that God exists by saying we don't know how life began is one of the reasons religious people get mocked in today's society. No religion can be proven by the scientific method. If people put as much "faith" in humanity as they do in a book, we'd all be a lot better off.

September 15, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • ckelley

Oh, I've read the Bible, front to back. Not every single version of it (and there are many versions, depending on who was using it to wield power at the time) but I know enough to understand that the ones who believe the world began 6000 years ago with two naked teenagers, a talking snake and a magic apple are the ones who need to wake up. I consider myself fortunate to have been gifted with the ability to tell truth from fairy tales. I don't know if God or Krishna or Allah or Zeus are real and I am not so arrogant to say they are or are not. Nobody knows and will never know until maybe, just maybe, something's there when they die. I just don't see the point of believing in Bible stories when anyone who knows anything about history can see them for what they are – tales to explain to Bronze Age goat-herders why certain natural events happened, with a few moralistic fables thrown in to instruct people how to behave. Simple as that. Believing it's anything more is – wait for it – NONSENSICAL. And when you consider how long modern man has walked the Earth, the thought that the Judeo-Christian God is the only true one is arrogance in its truest form. It would be funny if it wasn't so damn sad. So you can laugh or cry or have a prayer rally or "love anyway" or whatever it is you folks do for us poor lost souls, I don't really care. I am very happy with the person I am, and feel no need to turn to fairy tales to make my life worthwhile. I can do that on my own.

September 15, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

@ckelley- I'll see you in hell. :)

September 15, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • ckelley

Can't wait! I make a pretty good buffalo chicken dip. You think Satan would like it if I brought that to the party? Considering it's already hot down there...

September 15, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Just make sure to bring plenty of Ranch dressing. It should put out the flames.

September 15, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. the prophet

Because I am posting information from the USGS suggesting our world is nearing towards a major catastrophe my post is being blocked?

September 15, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • DAve

delusional much?

September 15, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

I think it's because people who call themselves "the prophet" often have no idea what they're talking about. History has proven this time and time again.

September 15, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |