Plane crashes at air show in West Virginia
September 17th, 2011

Plane crashes at air show in West Virginia

A single-engine airplane crashed Saturday at an air show in Martinsburg, West Virginia, a spokesman there  said.

The T-28 military training aircraft crashed at the Thunder over the Blue Ridge air show, Lt. Nate Muellerof the 167th Airlift Wing said.  He had no information on the circumstances of the crash or on injuries.

The aircraft was part of the Trojan Horsemen aircraft demo team, according to The Journal of Martinsburg.

The crash occurred during a stunt in which two T-28s were flying belly-to-belly, according to The Journal. The plane crashed in a fireball in front of hangars, The Journal reported.

FULL STORY
  1. Jackie

R.I.P. to the pilot

September 17, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SABC

OMG – again. Plane crashes are said to come in groups of three.

Condolences to the pilot's family.

September 17, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • ROFL!

No, that's just silly.

September 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • HW

I am waiting for the third one. I hope its a doozy.

September 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al

No, actually everything comes in three.

September 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Even by the standards of the usual comments here, yours is particularly ignorant. Please keep your inanities to yourself.

September 17, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lawrence

This is the third one, may be even the fourth. One in Kansas City air show on August 20, Reno Nevada September 18, then this one in W. Virginia. Then there was the Bournemouth air show in the U.K. on August 20. That's four in August and September.

September 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

The next plane I don't want to crash but send 1 single occupant to the farthest reaches of the galaxy the plane I'm thinking of has 2600 in the tail number

September 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

David – I'm glad you aren't talking about president Obama because the two 747s the president uses have tail codes 28000 and 29000.

So who are you wishing would die that has a tail code of 2600?

September 17, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Al:

except hot dogs, they come in 8

September 17, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sussan

May his soul RIP AMEN

September 17, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Earl Weaver

I saw the crash. I don't believe the pilot survived. Very sad.

September 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ccastine

man...we could dismiss this as a simple consequence of the sport if it weren't for the fact that almost ANY time a plan crashes, whoever is in it dies.

September 17, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. wvu fan

I live right beside the airport and heard a loud noise and saw the large ball of fire.. road closures and mass evacuations of spectators as the show has been cancelled. RIP ...very sad

September 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • joan

I live across the field from the base and saw the smoke and heard the sirens. So sad my kids and I were watching them perform from the front yard. RIP pilot.

September 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • HW

My heart goes out to the pilot..........Nah

September 17, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maryland Cowgirl

I witnessed this crash from the spectator area. I was horrified and it took a few moments for me to realize that it was NOT some kind of pyrotechnic stunt. This morning I am wondering how long it will take to get the image out of my mind. My primary concern is for alll the CHILDREN who witnessed this tragedy. My prayers for the family of the pilot and the other members of this aerobatic team.

September 18, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. CG

My condolences to both Familys of the Pilots. How tragic! Even though I think if you past 70 yrs old you should enjoy the show from the ground. R.I.P

September 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashleigh

The pilot hasn't even been disclosed yet. I'm fairly certain the pilot wasn't elderly. But way to assume and make judgement before you know the details.

September 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • pilot21200

age has nothing to do with at all. I been flying for 17 yrs and some of the best pilots are the older ones. Like the one reno its now coming per the faa just out at photos the trim tab on the vertical stabilizer broke off and at those speeds would and was disastrous

September 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ashleigh

My boyfriend was working at the show as is required of all Air Guardsmen this weekend, and contacted me as soon as it happened. Unfortunately, there was no possible chance of survival. They were doing a stunt and the T-28 banked west too hard and was unable to pull out. He crashed on the flight line right in front of the hangars. Our prayers go out to the pilot's family. They will disclose his name after his family is formally notified by the military is as custom.

September 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bill muniz

You know, what bother me the most was pointing out his age, that was very PREJUDICE!! they should retract this comment and apoligize to there family!!!!

September 17, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • What?

How is reporting age 'prejudice'?

And apologize to where family?

September 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Wildone

A lot of the planes at air shows are over 60 years old, and no matter how much time and money you put into keeping them flying accidents will continue to happen.

September 17, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • HW

OK –> Age of Planes 60+ –> I don't think its accidental that they seem to crash.

September 17, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kamikaze

There is nothing in this report that states someone died. They could have clipped the wing of the plane on the hangar and call it a crash. These reporters just want to cash in on "PLANE CRASH AT AIR SHOW".

September 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sam

This happens at almost every airshow. time to stop them

September 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara

That's not true at all. You know how many airshows I've been to and this has happened? None.

September 17, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TripleA

Sad. Prayers to all affected.

September 17, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HW

I seem to be watching Dumb and Dummer in reality.

September 17, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brian

Planes dont kill people. People Kill People..oh wait that's for Guns.

September 17, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |