Plane crashes at air show in West Virginia
September 17th, 2011

Plane crashes at air show in West Virginia

A single-engine airplane crashed Saturday at an air show in Martinsburg, West Virginia, a spokesman there  said.

The T-28 military training aircraft crashed at the Thunder over the Blue Ridge air show, Lt. Nate Muellerof the 167th Airlift Wing said.  He had no information on the circumstances of the crash or on injuries.

The aircraft was part of the Trojan Horsemen aircraft demo team, according to The Journal of Martinsburg.

The crash occurred during a stunt in which two T-28s were flying belly-to-belly, according to The Journal. The plane crashed in a fireball in front of hangars, The Journal reported.

FULL STORY
  1. Tonya

There is a video of the crash on WHAG Facebook page but I warn all to turn your volume down cause the people on it was just worried about getting on the news. No compassion at all that someone just died. Prayers to the pilots family

September 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. melissa

My family & I were @ the airshow. The pilot did not hit a hanger! He was no where near a hanger! I just wish people would get facts before you post comments! God bless his family & god bless the pilot!

September 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kevin

Condolences to all both this pilot/s as well as the pilot and victims in Nevada. I don't believe in banning airshows, as this is America. Not all airshows end in disaster and people have the right to do what they want, so long as they don't kill anybody or anything else illegal. But, my heart does go out to the victims' families.

September 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. What is this

What is this, I wanna make the news day? It seems like as soon as one accident happen another day there is always the same accident in another place. SMH.

September 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

Crazy weekend for aviation 😦

September 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DaddyRabbit

How awful. Seems clear that these dangerous air shows are best seen on TV. So sorry for those who died in Reno and now this in WVA.

September 17, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Derek

I was at the air show and saw the crash. I got a series of photos and the plane was totally destroyed. It was fortunate that no one on the ground was injured, but I do not know the status of the pilot. Totally horrifying to witness.

September 17, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mike

I was there, horrible sight, my heart goes out to the pilot and the family. true, alot of no compassion people

September 17, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

My condolences to the family of the pilot.
    This is sad.

September 17, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Thomas

You're right @DaddyRabbit! Much safer and instant replay. Pray for the pilots and other casualties.

September 17, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Richardwv

The loss of lives is tragic, but no more so than a typical holiday weekend where a great many more die on our roads in the name of recreation. The very nature of air shows is to have aircraft operating on the edge of their flight envelope within close proximity to the ground. When anything happens, there is little time to react. Hence a higher accident rate than aviation in general. That said, considering the parameters of air shows, I think they have an excellent safety record and remain an excellent entertainment venue.....just know and accept the risks.

September 17, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bret

We were at the W. VA air show. My family, 2 young friends and I were there to witness this. Very very sad for pilot, his family and friends. The greatest majority of people there were very respectful of the situation. Staff handled it all very well. Just a terribly sad event, on the heels of another fluke air show accident. We will still go again in the future. If anything for respect of the folks involved and to support the the many facets of military involved. The only thing that disturbs me, aside from the sad accident, is the amount of ignorance that gets voiced afterwards. People need to get there facts straight and have some respect.

September 17, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. KC

Is it just me, or does it seem that like this has been an incredibly tragic year for air shows? I can remember three off the top of my head.

September 17, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • yep

It's just you.

September 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. egor1

Another one. Was it inspected.

September 17, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Shana

My deepest condolences to the pilot family....This day will live in my mind forever...I cried so much... knowing that a great man is gone....May God Bless the family...

September 17, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |