Plane crashes at air show in West Virginia
September 17th, 2011

Plane crashes at air show in West Virginia

A single-engine airplane crashed Saturday at an air show in Martinsburg, West Virginia, a spokesman there  said.

The T-28 military training aircraft crashed at the Thunder over the Blue Ridge air show, Lt. Nate Muellerof the 167th Airlift Wing said.  He had no information on the circumstances of the crash or on injuries.

The aircraft was part of the Trojan Horsemen aircraft demo team, according to The Journal of Martinsburg.

The crash occurred during a stunt in which two T-28s were flying belly-to-belly, according to The Journal. The plane crashed in a fireball in front of hangars, The Journal reported.

FULL STORY
  1. NoodleHat

Redneck activities like this should be banned. There should be treatment given to rednecks in the world. It is a sad debilitating condition. It lowers them from humans to sub-human cretins.

September 17, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • MahBoi

A poster child for the Democrats, I'm sure.

September 17, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. leeintulsa

Does the bible say anything like, "and yea, small single-engine aircraft will fall from the sky"? 😉

September 17, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

No, but it does say, "if God wanted you to fly he would have given you wings." Its on page 633 of the King James version right next to the the story about the whale that swallowed that boy and the boy survived and grew up to be a Republican.

September 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bayousara

Which bible?

September 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • b. Slider

it sez "fly not ye sinners, or ye shall land on top of all the rich folk and cause great chaos". It further states "that the only good that cometh from this tragedy is that cnn will not mention the debate for 5 hours"!!

September 17, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack Hoff

But Tony, God gave man the knowledge and tools to create flying machines. If he didn't want many to create a flying machine, he wouldn't have provided the knowledge or tools. Similarly, this could also mean the Wright Bros (not trying to be racist with my use of "bro") directly violated that section of the Bible and are thus in hell, right?

September 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill in Florida

Sorry, I don't read fiction.

September 17, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harvey

My great grandfather said if God meant for man to fly, He would have made his bones as hollow as his head.

September 17, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

This story has nothing to do with the bible. Any ways whats up with all these jets crashing at air shows.

September 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank ( R - OHIO ) "Ohio - Birthplace of Aviation"

Indeed a tradgic day for aviation. The Trojan Horsemen are in our prayers.

September 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Amen. As well as the family of Jimmy Leeward and the families of the victims in Reno. Horrible day.

September 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billy Jester

and all of the people who were in those box seats.....oh!!! the humanity, and the injustice that it didn't land on top of those in the cheap seats. Tis is a sad day for wing walkers everywhere

September 17, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ryan

hangars* ???

September 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Yes, it crashed in front of hangers. The wire kind.

September 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corvus1

Yes, hangars. As in buildings where aircraft (and spacecraft) are stored.

September 17, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank ( R - OHIO ) "Ohio - Birthplace of Aviation"

I really hope I can make my first sky dive jump before the summers out. I've been waiting a year. Now the weathers turning cold. 😉

September 17, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Puppet

These trainers have ejection seats and hopefully they got out alive.

September 17, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. James

I had been taking photos of these planes as they passed over my house while performing. It really makes me sad to know I was taking photos of a man flying and doing the thing he loved before being taken from his family and friend. The only peace I can find is knowing he died doing what he loved.

September 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bill Loyd

I was employed by Mr. Mangan's company for eight years. He was a great guy and an awesome pilot. I have flown with him several times. I know that safety was always first with him. You will be missed Jack.

September 17, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • b. Slider

somebody wants his job back...........

September 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hank Renolds

What does a comment like that really mean?

September 17, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hank Renolds

By comments I am referring to the people that made the comments. I met Jack at airshows over the years and he really was a nice guy. People should think before they comment and show how ignorant they really are.

September 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mark

This just in....a second plane has crashed into the hangar.....we will never forget...

September 17, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lewis

its time to put this all at a stop, think of this family who lost a father ,, husband,, friend or grand dad,,, let them grieve in peace,,,,, my heart goes out to this family,,^i^

September 17, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Frank ( R - OHIO ) "Ohio - Birthplace of Aviation"

Amen Jason and Lewis

September 17, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • b. Slider

bhu who

September 17, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bubaphelps

how unoriginal....copycat news...how boring

September 17, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. wepopew

One of six T-28s crashed during a demonstration at the air show "Thunder over the Blue Ridge" this afternoon. The pilot was killed. No other injuries. The demonstration team is known as the Trojan Horsemen.

September 17, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mr. Hoffman

First and for most, My heart aches for those affected by this tragedy..Second, I'm angered that the sponsors of this kind of show would promote the act of flying 60+year old planes at 300 MPH upside down and sideways so close to spectators...How could anyone in the know not understand the risk of doing such things? Shame!!

September 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hank Renolds

Are you a regular airshow attendee? I am intrested in your comment . I have promoted a lot of shows over the years and understand people love to be thrilled but no one ever wants or deserves to see a crash on front of them. There is a line between intertainment and this but accidents happen be it auto racing, airshows, or some sports. I only ask you not to judge to quickly or harshly. I would like to hear your comments on the airshow industry if you have any. How long and how many events have you attended?

September 17, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

You don't know anything about flying do you? First their speeds were probably closer to 200, if not a little less for manuevering. Second, when you're discussing age in terms of aircraft, it's pretty meaningless. Most of these aircraft have been completely restored and examined. They're required to have inspections every year with certain other components checked even more regularly. To infer that 60 year old aircraft are inherently dangerous is complete BS.

September 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ron Frey

It seems from the accounts given they got tangled up and blew.

September 17, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |