Plane crashes at air show in West Virginia
September 17th, 2011

Plane crashes at air show in West Virginia

A single-engine airplane crashed Saturday at an air show in Martinsburg, West Virginia, a spokesman there  said.

The T-28 military training aircraft crashed at the Thunder over the Blue Ridge air show, Lt. Nate Muellerof the 167th Airlift Wing said.  He had no information on the circumstances of the crash or on injuries.

The aircraft was part of the Trojan Horsemen aircraft demo team, according to The Journal of Martinsburg.

The crash occurred during a stunt in which two T-28s were flying belly-to-belly, according to The Journal. The plane crashed in a fireball in front of hangars, The Journal reported.

FULL STORY
  1. Bob

They've corrected the article. Earlier, it stated "hangers".

September 17, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bob

They've corrected the article. Earlier, it stated "hangers"..

September 17, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jimh77

My band played at an Air show in 1976, we were on a flat bed. 2 F15's flew over our heads maybe 30 feet above us. Thaty was it for me. as soon as we were done, I was outta there and refused to play at any others. Air shows should not be public events in my book. There are no "SAFE" areas for the public like at race tracks.

September 17, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • brad johnson

Really? Are you that scared of events? You're disgusting and scared. Please stay in doors forever. Wuss.

September 17, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blart

Those things scare me too! Also, when my wife whips out her chest bags I dive under the table and don't come out until they're gone.

September 17, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joseph

What a wuss, no wonder you never made it big

September 17, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

You could easily get killed in a car crash on your way home from work. Does that mean we shouldn't be driving cars or riding in them anymore?

September 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Yes Jim, it's best that you stay indoors-nobody ever expects aircraft to crash at an air race, after all it's just a gig, right?

September 17, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

I hope you wear a helmet and padding around your house. Many more people die each year of accidents in the home than at air shows. Car accidents, influenza, food allergies, stairs, bathtubs, the world is a scary place, how do you make it through the day?

September 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • BobR

Jimmy, if the F15s were 30 feet above your head you would not have been left standing – the "wind" would have blown you off your feet along with the rest of your "band". As a pilot who has attended at least 50 airshows with Concords, Harriers, F14s, F16s, F18s, F22s, etc – I have never seen a plane come within 500 feet of the crowd which is an FAA rule. Where I live in VA, I have military jets fly over my farm almost every day on there way to their training area. I love the sound – It is the sound of freedom!!! Get a life.

September 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mark

Jim shut up and go live in your safe bubble.....

September 17, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Hahaha.

September 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. D.Butler

There's a reason why air circuses with wingwalkers and the like as seen in the Great Waldo Pepper and represented by Gates Flying Circus were banned in or around 1927.

September 17, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. wvgirl

I was at the air show when the accident happened. It really bothers me to read some of these comments that are written here. Some of you are very inconsiderate and rude. I hope the family of the victim is not reading your comments. Please remember that a man just died in front of a crowd of people watching. Whether you agree with airshows or not is not the issue. Please think about what you are writing before you post. The family and friends of this man may read your post. My heart goes out to them. They have lost their loved one.

September 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Meanwhile 100 other people give or take across the country were killed in car wrecks the same day and nobody gave it a second thought.

September 17, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. notasterisk

everyone knows people posting here are idiots.
    OOPS!

September 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • pitterpatrat

🙂

September 17, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John B

I love the people who say that air shows are dangerous and they should never be allowed. There are literally dozens of air shows every year and crashes are extremely rare. We only hear about air shows when there is a crash. More people get hurt in the stands of pro sporting events each year than at air shows...but we still have pro sporting events. People just need to relax and just don't go to air shows if they don't like them.

September 17, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Dozens? Try hundreds. It all has to do with the way the human brain is wired. We give a great deal of attention to rare events, but when something happens frequently we cease to notice it. Hundreds of people are killed every single day by all manner of things from automobiles to cheeseburgers.

September 17, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jack

Well dont read it then...

September 17, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JeffersonAirplane

Condolences to family and friends of those involved in this accident.

Seems to be a bad year for air shows with multiple deaths and accidents. Having attended and volunteered for several over the years I know these individuals ensure their planes are well maintained. But even then there are things that go wrong either due to pilot error or an unexpected problem. I don’t know if there should be more frequent front to back inspections or something else but I hope that these shows do continue because as many air shows happen every year accidents are few but recently not far between.

September 17, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. AndrewNY1988

Two accidents in the same amount of days. I am sure they are exciting, but maybe it is time for some regulation on them. (I know I sound like a commie)

September 17, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

You mean like the FAA? Approximately 100 Americans were also killed in the same day in car accidents. Yeah I think we already have regulation in both cases, accidents still happen.

September 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Eric G

actually just as many people died at the Indiana State Fair stage collapse last month. Perhaps they shouldn't allow Country music anymore?

September 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Hey that might not be such a bad thing 😛

September 17, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dwells

I find it very sad the comments. Would everyone just realize a horrible accident occurred and a pilot has died. Someone with a family, who was respected by his peers. It doesn't matter if your views are different that is called freedome. Just stop for a few moments out of your lives and give the respect to an individual who was very honorable in his history and was loved by many. God Bless America and could we all learn to have a little respect.

September 17, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Go to oprah!

September 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dwells

Why all the mean remarks. Do you not realize that a tragic event occurred and someone who has a family, is respected by his peers, who was a friend died suddenly. You all have a right to your beliefs and discussion of whatever you believe in that is called freedom, however say a pray and think of this man's family. What is wrong with you?

September 17, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. J. Rayl

Time we banned air shows. I live next to a small airport and every spring when it's time for the show, I sit in fear of the next crash. Isn't it time to leave the dare-devils to their own kind?

September 17, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |