Only women, kids allowed into Turkish soccer game
Women and children fill the stands in Istanbul's Sükrü Saracoglu stadium on Tuesday night.
September 21st, 2011

Only women, kids allowed into Turkish soccer game

Soccer authorities in Turkey may have hit on the perfect solution for unruly fans: Ladies Night!

The Turkish Football Federation had planned to make Istanbul favorite Fenerbahce play two games in an empty stadium after fans invaded the pitch after a friendly against Ukraine's Shakhtar Donetsk during the summer, according to a Turkish Weekly report.

But new rules say those games will be open only to women and children under age 12, National Turk reports. Admission is free.

The policy got its first test Tuesday night in Istanbul, as 45,000 women and children turned out to watch Fenerbahce and Manisaspor face off in the Turkish Super League.

“It was such a fun and pleasant atmosphere. At first, we Manisaspor players couldn’t believe in what we were seeing and hearing,” Manisaspor midfielder Ömer Aysan is quoted as saying by National Turk.

What they were hearing was something unexpected in the usual partisan atmosphere of Fenerbahce Istanbul’s Sükrü Saracoglu stadium: cheers for the visiting team.

Players from both teams greeted their female fans before kickoff, tossing flowers into the stands, Turkish Weekly reported.

Security was tight, according to Turkish Weekly, with a female-only guard force outside checking to see that no men entered the stadium.

The game ended in a 1-1 draw, but that didn't dampen enthusiasm for the idea.

“This memory will stay with me forever. It’s not always that you see so many women and children in one game,” Fenerbahce captain Alex de Sousa said at a post-game news conference, National Turk reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Soccer • Sports • Turkey
  1. Adam

I think this is exactly how a men-only crowd would react at a women's soccer game. Who cares about the score, I like both teams.

September 22, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. UCFknightman

I am a man and I'm the only way I know how to be. I make no apology.

September 22, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob Schoenberger

So if you say your as an idiot for acting like an idiot makes you an idiot.

September 22, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob YOU'RE an Idiot

Bob go back to grammar school. Thanks!
      -Society

September 22, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob Schoenberger

Check my grammar and you will see it is correct.

September 22, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • JW

I like it, no more men at sporting events. Let them watch from home, some can't control themselves.

September 25, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jamie

Better the lines for the bathroom were REALLY long!

September 22, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
    • kap

yea, but you can use the men's bathrooms as well

September 22, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. ReeferSutherland

Immagine if they tried this on an NFL game?

September 22, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeri

MUTINY!!

September 22, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

When was the last time you saw an all out riot at an NFL game?

September 22, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • AL in West Palm Beach

Usually NFL fans are wayyy too drunk to riot.

September 22, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Vesstair

The 40 women in the stands would all get to meet a player!

September 22, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. asli

September 22, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. ske

Hi, i just wanted to share a funny event regarding this news. During the match, while cameras pointing at the crowd, there was a lady wearing headscarf among all the other ladies who looked like a man disguised as a woman by headscarf to enter the match. It was all on the social media, that "his" love for fenerbahce made "him" even to disguise as a woman:))) But later on they found out that actually she was a woman, and now she will sue the news channels reported her as "Male Fenerbahce Holigan, entered the match by diguising himself as woman" :)))
    i am linking the news on turkish CNN which you can find "his" photos:

September 22, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • ske

by the way, to make it clear, i am not makin fun of her, just the idea is funny also probable, that something i would have expect from a sports holigan, maybe they even did but no camera was lucky enough to record it:)

September 22, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. joe

Soccer is a sport for women so it only makes sense.

September 22, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeri

Obviously you've never played soccer. . .

September 22, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob Schoenberger

Obviously you never played the game because your ignorance is truly outstanding.

September 22, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • edward

if you are making a comparison to american football, at least in soccer they dont have fully armored and padded players that are afraid to play full contact like rugby players. i bet an american football player would not be able to keep up with a soccer player in a match. but hey they are fully armored!!!.

September 22, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Justin Observation

It makes me wonder what the world would be like if they banned men from all the world's governments.

I'm guessing it, like this football match, would be more peaceful.

September 22, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • defD

yeah for 3 weeks each month

September 22, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • C. Smith

If Hillary Clinton is anything to go by, not so much.

September 22, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. lara,istanbul,TURKEY

please, dont comment about turkey without knowig NOTHING about it..
    this is SECULAR REPUBLIC OF TURKEY..and we are ATATURK'S children.. anyone who wants to open his/her ass can open.., anyone who drinks until goes crazy can drink!!

September 22, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

What?

September 22, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • sdr tr

take it easy :)))

September 22, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hmmmmmmm

First, I am male....a crabby old school one at that.
    However, be it NFL, NHL. or yes, even soccer, when I go to a game I want to watch and enjoy the game. I really do not want to get into a fight with the other teams fans. Well, saying they stink and boooing them is ok. Frankly, if only letting women into games for a bit will teach the loud mouth, ignorant, males who only go to games looking for a fight under control I am all for it! In other words, maybe men will behave if they have their "toys and games" taken away from them!

September 22, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • pj

Agreed. This is not a long-term solution to the riots, but it may open the eyes of the trouble-makers about what they stand to loose.

September 22, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  11. PRW

Gulay,

After travelling the globe, many times over, you must realize that many Americans seldom leave their home state let alone, study World History until college.

Some of these comments, ignorant as they may be, are just dribble because that’s all the person really knows or think they know.

For many, ignorance is bliss....

September 22, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Gülay

PRW, I am overly bored of such medieval comments about us. I have been living in Paris for the last couple of years for my Master studies and also here people have so "great" prejudice against us. It is sickening and even under such fun and beautiful articles I have to deal with ignorant comments. My cousin is an American citizen who finished her PhD in US and has been living there for almost 20 years now, last year married to a great American guy I adore also, have too many American friends and profs that dined at my place in Istanbul before, I am each time apalled by ignorant people. This headscarf issue and the "islamification of Turkey" provocative participations are overall pathetic attempts. And I'm a Deist indeed myself. Imagine the torture. People have free will, they can wear scarves (which I object therefore independence of wearing a scarf is intself an oxymoron but am not a fascist either way) or they can walk nude. I have not a single friend with a scarf nor a member of family. Nevertheless, each time I have to deal with such cliché comments about Turkey and Turkish people. Just as I said before, if Turkey has to deal with such issues today, it is thanks to western politics and the process after the 80s. I don't remember a day in my childhood, seeing even a single person with a headscarf in my life. Let's make a facts correct.

We are children of Atatürk, that will "NEVER" change.

+ Females support football immensely in Turkey. I myself have fanatic female friends indeed, also my sister and my mom go to matches. It is even pathetic to justify females of my country here. Unbeliavable really...

September 22, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bob Schoenberger

They ought to do that at Eagles games, actually all games. We all need to be a lot more considerate of each other even if we disagree, and that goes way beyond sports!

September 22, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mikey

I love that even the security was female only as well!

September 22, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mark

As a male and someone who isn't a sports fan I can't feel anything but disgust for the fans that cause this work of action to be needed. It's pathetic and I applaud the officials for doing something about it in such a public and pointed manner.

September 22, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. ozzy

I as a Muslim Turk find some of the stereotypes and prejudices here about Turks, Turkey and Muslims really annoying.

In addition to my fellow Turks' replies I also wanted to say, as a Muslim Turkish guy I

-don't give a damn whatever the hell my wife wears...

-don't care whether my sister wears a mini skirt or a scarf... I don't care if she has multiple boyfriends... As a grown up
    adult she is free to live as she wishes...

-don't care if my brother is gay as long as he's happy...

-am happy to live in a secular country ...

-believe in democracy, liberalism, individualism, and capitalism...

-believe my fellow citizens have every right to be atheist, deist, agnostic, pagan, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Budhist or Hindu... I don't give a rat's ass...

-don't care if Turkish ladies wander the streets half naked...

-believe in freedom of speech so I don't care if you criticize Islam...

Turkey is not your average Muslim country that you see on Fow News everyday and not all Muslims are wife beating, primitive cavemen as you think...

September 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |