Dugard files complaint against federal government over kidnapping
A picture of Jaycee Dugard before she was kidnapped sits framed in her stepfather's home.
September 22nd, 2011

Dugard files complaint against federal government over kidnapping

Jaycee Dugard filed a complaint against the federal government Thursday, seeking compensation for what she called its failures to track the man who held her captive for 18 years, a public relations firm representing her announced.

The lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for Northern California, said Nancy Seltzer, whose Los Angeles-based firm detailed the complaint. According to a press release, the U.S. government "summarily rejected" two requests from Dugard "for private mediation in the case."

The U.S. Justice Department had no immediate comment Thursday, as it had not seen and thus did not know the details of the complaint, spokesman Charles Miller said.

Dugard was 11 years old in 1991, when she was abducted from the street in front of her South Lake Tahoe, California, home. Philip and Nancy Garrido held her and the two daughters she gave birth to in subsequent years in a hidden compound of sheds and tarpaulins.

The complaint relates to Philip Garrido, who was a registered sex offender well before authorities located Dugard and her two children, who he'd fathered, in 2009 in an Antioch, California, home. It notes that "the federal government had parole supervision responsibility" over him from the day he got out of custody in 1988 through 1999 - including the date in 1991 when she was kidnapped - after which responsibility shifted to California authorities.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Jaycee Dugard
  1. banasy©

@yada:
    Yeah, it was a troll. It has done this to her once before, a couple of weeks ago.
    Scared the bejeezuz out of me! I was crying!

September 22, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@wally:

Jazzy is one in a million! She's hilarious, seriously!

September 22, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank ( R - Ohio ) "Lunatic Fringe"

I know...hook her up with Davis. Oops my bad 😡

September 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Caracas

Lunatic Fringe, we all know you're out there....

September 22, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. the prophet

Haha what's the point to even have the Federal Government if it can't do it's job, ho wait the Federal Government is the one the has the money, shouldn't the State Department get sued instead , ho whatever let's sue avery department.

September 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joe

It's the State Government se should be filing suit against not the Federal Government. The State parole board was the ones responsible to follow up on Garrido the Federal Government doesn't involve itself with State parolees.

September 22, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. the prophet

Precisely my point ...the state department oversees issues such as the one alleged in this case. I wander on what grownds was this law suit based on ?

September 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzzz

Thanks guys
    although, (I'm laughing right) , some days I feel like I have the sakes from loving people wayyyyyy to much
    Night all, see ya this weekend

September 22, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

Opps , sorry Ms Dugard
    I am 100 % behind the TRUTH of your exposure to the Governments LACK of interest in searching for you and your captive!
    Keep up the good fight my friend

September 22, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Showmeyerpapers

Not only have illegal invaders slit the throats of the working man they are responsible for 75% of the crime here in denver radioreference dot com monitor police and ems frequencies for yourself they must have killed 250000Americans in the last 50 years look at lapd online all most wanted 95% spanic

September 22, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Showmeyerpapers

Nuke the border absolutely

September 22, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. s kel

ummm Showmeyepapers when the radiation reaches you and your family, you still wanna nuke the border areas?

September 23, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. raven

I cant imagine how they could compensate her. They cant give her back time lost with a loving family. They cant give her back her innocence. But they CAN give her money. LOTS of money. And I hope they do.

September 23, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

Good LucK to you Jaycee. You are a strong, brave woman. You did what it took too keep your self and your daughters relatively safe. You are a hero and things will be nothing but wonderful for you and your family. Good luck to you. Take care of yourself. Sincerly, •Mary•

September 23, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. justathought

There was tesimony during the trial of the Garridos, that neighbors had called the police saying that they had seen a child in the back yard, when plolice arrived they apparently only asked questions without checking the back yard, to which the police department said they could not do without a search warrant. Why wasn't a search warrant issued. before they arrived? P.S. This sounds strange to me, because when it was reported that my stepson had marajana growing in the backyard the police asked if they could go into the yard, they also advised me that if not given permission they would get a search warrant, and I might be impicated in the seach, it was my choice.I granted them permission (they found what they were looking for, my stepson was arrested.) My point is, the police could have gotten a search warrant if they had wanted, but apparently were not interested in doing so. I say the police lacked responsiability.

September 23, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |