Overheard on CNN.com: Life after death?
September 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Life after death?

Comment of the Day:
"I’ve always believed that naysayers take that route because it requires little to no effort. It’s easier to shoot something down than it is to give it wings."–cabinguy

Do loved ones bid farewell from beyond the grave?

Some people tell of conversations with loved ones whom they didn't know were dead. John Blake's story about "crisis apparitions" had CNN.com readers sharing their own stories and arguing over their validity.

oldnewbie said, "De Santo could not have had a grief-driven hallucination or vision because she didn't know her friend had died! She thought he was just stopping by like he always did. So there goes that explanation. The problem with scientists is that if they accept the supernatural, their world no longer makes sense."

Guest said, "I am a doctor. One of my patients died suddenly about 1 pm. When the family arrived at the hospital and was told he had died, the kids freaked out. His wife just sat there silently. I thought maybe she hadn't heard me or didn't want to hear, so I went into greater detail. She looked at me calmly and said that she knew he was going to die today. She said she woke up around 5 am and he was sitting on the edge of the bed. He kissed her, smoothed the hair back from her face and told her it was time for him to leave, but he loved her and would watch over her until she could come join him where he was going. Explain that."

Bluabs said, "This happened to my grandma. Her daily routine before she became ill was to go to the local market in the morning, buy fresh produce and cook lunch and dinner for the family. She had a stroke and was confined to the hospital for a week. Hours after she died, several market vendors recalled seeing her come through the market and purchase items, greeting everyone cheerfully as usual. They were all so happy for her that she had recovered. Imagine their shock when told she had passed away the previous night."

skeptic933 said, "I always awake early before my wife. One Saturday, I woke up at my usual time (6 a.m.), and found my wife sitting alone downstairs on the sofa in the dark. When I asked what was wrong, she said she had heard her Dad's voice while she was 'asleep' saying, 'I am ready to go now. It is all right; I am not afraid' and addressing my wife by name. My wife replied, 'Are you sure, Dad?' and he said, yes. Then my wife's mother called to say Dad had died in his sleep earlier that morning. I am a skeptic, a scientist, an atheist, an all-round cynic. But ever since that day, I concluded there is something here I don't understand, but it is real."

therm said, "This has happened to me with three people in my life. I never saw an apparition of them, but things happened that can't be explained. I'm a scientist, and it was difficult to reconcile these things. But, with our knowledge that the universe is both local and non-local, I believe it's real. Call it a cosmic consciousness if you want, but it's there. I think this is where all of our delusions about god have stemmed from, but I would bet my money on the non-local universe and quantum entanglement."

forrester99 said, "There is this thing called an 'observer' in quantum physics, absolutely necessary for quantum physics to actually work, but it is never defined and there is no theory that can account for its existence. Yet we know that people are observers, because what they observe causes the collapse of the wave function of particles, not only in the future but also in the past. That is just as spooky and mystical as any paranormal event. Until we understand the nature of the observer in quantum physics, I suggest you hold off on saying what can and cannot happen in this strange and wonderful universe we live in."

Without a job, California woman forced to live a lie

Update: Sukhraj Beasla's story

California bank manager Sukhraj Beasla was about to be promoted to assistant vice president when she was laid off. A year-and-a-half after her unemployment benefits ran out - in the summer of 2010 - Beasla submitted her story to iReport, saying she was still smiling. Now, as she barely makes makes ends meet working a variety of part-time jobs with no benefits, she's not so optimistic. Many CNN.com readers sent good wishes and advice and said they had families like hers.

archanamol said, "I am Indian, I had the same problem, and yes, it is hard to look your parents and relatives in the eye in an unending critique of yourself while being honest about your situation. Move out of the expensive area. Move back home if you must (most Indian parents will let you). Roll up your sleeves and accept whatever you manage to land. Forget about what the family will say about lack of prestige; it's an honest living. I did this, and I learned more in that time than during my more successful job years. At the age of 30 she should be strong enough to be honest about herself to her family."

canadian306 said, "If she's sending 30-50 applications a day, however, I think she isn't putting much thought into them. My advice is to cut down on volume and focus your efforts into submitting a few good applications per day rather than 30-50 which I presume are fairly generic."

Many readers suggested she move to a cheaper area or take in a renter. baboons said, "At least move out of California. That's part of the problem. sandalo Move to Buffalo NY, Geico is hiring and so are the local banks M & T and First Niagara, over 500 positions between those two banks."

But squeekybrain said, "Moving costs a fortune too, and if no job is waiting for her, she could be really skeerewed." sarahH said, "She might have a lease. Breaking a lease can cost more than 3 times the rent and failing to pay that can cost you your credit rating."

The8thSeal said, "The poor and broke ... a.k.a. the U.S. middle class."

1. Jazzzzzzzz

I'm not one who believes in those who are supposible dead and come back to life. The closet I ever came to some like that WAS a hallucination. My daughter of 19 months had passed away, and some time after wards a aquaintence came up to me and asked how she was, I automatically said fine and froze in the next moment. Thinking for about 10 seconds (Omg, did I leave her home alone) I really had a hard time knowing if you was dead or alive in those moments. I can't explain it any other way than it was horrific to think I may have left her alone.

September 26, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

You have my deepest condolences, Jazzzzzzz.
    Imo, what happened to you was just a knee-jerk reaction to a question you answered for 19 months, and for a moment, you forgot.
    Like any good parent, you panicked at the thought that you left her alone...
    Forgivable, if you ask me...
    Again, so, so sorry.

September 26, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. s kel

the dead dont come back to life, but they do move on. Now spirits on here could be some dead thats for some reason are sticking around. Some what some people are calling ghost could be something negitive( demonic) or something positive (angelic).

September 26, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. s kel

And Jazzzzz im sorry what happened to you and for your loss of your young one.

September 26, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

thanks s kel
    Thanks Banasy
    Now wouldya help me find my glasses.... LOL

September 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. s kel

it on top of your head, or around your neck, lol

September 26, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzzz

LOL, that's what Banasy just texted me. Nah, I'm going to walmart in a minute and getting 2 pair

September 26, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Hey, s kel, whassup?

I used to hear my son in my house at tomes right after he died, but that was a long time ago.
    I still feel him around at times, and weird little things happen around here, too.
    My younger daughter sees him out of the corner of her eyes sometimes, and she was only 4 when he died, so....
    I'll go for angelic, lol!

September 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JFritz

. . .and I'm listening to Coast-to-Coast. Thanks, George. You've shown us many "unexplainable" things, and maybe finally the rest of the media is getting it. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Real or imagined, may this bring comfort to those who lost their love ones. Peace, Jazzzzzz

September 26, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. driving

you are more alive Dead' than when you were alive""'it is 24 7 in Hell or Paridise waiting on the Final Judgement" When your Body and Soul Seperate' Dead' you know as you were when you were alive' but you are Dead' The inward part of the Body is the Soul' God know's what We are thinking when we are' and no body else does"' we all have differant finger print's' DNA' ect' our last Breath here on Earth is our first being in Eternity' but we are not Breathing' we are Dead' now with all that Said' it is the Most Feared thing of Man kind' is being Dead in Body' but Alive in Soul" the final Judgement of God for Man kind' is What did we do with Jesus' did we take God word and get Saved here on Earth as our Body and Soul were one' did we except what Jesus did on the Cross for us personally' or did we do our on thing" the Bible say's if we do not get Saved and Die that way' all the work's that we Done here on Earth will be Burned up and our Soul we be cast into the Lake of Fire for Ever and Ever' it never End's Now' for Those that Got Saved and excepted what Jesus did for them on the Cross When he Died for them and them Rose on the Third day and the Story goes' and showed people that i am the real Person if you want to get into Heaven' see the scar's on my hand's and feet' then a Cloud took him back to Heaven where he is sitting at the Right Hand of the Father in Finished Work"""' and for those that excepted Jesus for what he did on the Cross and got Saved' the Bible say's that it has never intered into the Heart of Man what God has Prepared for those that Love him" Street's of p Pure Gold Pure' GOLD' no more darkness no more tear's and fear's' for ever and ever' so it it really not all that hard to understand the way of Life if you will except just that and with just plane oh comon Sense" but Death is for Ever and we are in this together' you can Party with a Crowd' but you will die with Jesus in Your Heart' or not' that's it

September 26, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pam Miller

My son and I went to visit my sister-in-law at the hospital and though she was scheduled to be released the following day, she said she knew she wasn't going home , when I asked her why she thought that, she told me she knew she was going to die because my husband had been there the previous night and told her not to be afraid because he would be with her. He had been dead for 3 years. She died the next day.

September 26, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WOT

We are all body,spirit, and soul therefore; the things
    we do not understand should not shock us! Explain a dream of one pasted on ; a mind is to be used!

September 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. raven

My condolences to both Jazzy (for Jasmine) and my sista (for Eric). And Ive had wierd things I cant explain happen too. I dont even bother to try unless someone is with me when they happen. Most people just nod and say Uh Huh when Ive tried .

September 26, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. raven

Sigh.. here we go again.. if you smell Crest and Secret its me..

September 26, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

What about eau de listerine? I smell listerine total care every morning? Is that the ghost of hygiene?

September 26, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

I don't particularly care if people believe me or not; it's *my* experience, after all.
    Thank you raven, for remembering my son's name.
    That means a lot.
    I am reminded of a little girl I would have loved to have known by her mother's tribute every time she is on these blogs.

September 26, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |