Overheard on CNN.com: Life after death?
September 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Life after death?

Comment of the Day:
"I’ve always believed that naysayers take that route because it requires little to no effort. It’s easier to shoot something down than it is to give it wings."–cabinguy

Do loved ones bid farewell from beyond the grave?

Some people tell of conversations with loved ones whom they didn't know were dead. John Blake's story about "crisis apparitions" had CNN.com readers sharing their own stories and arguing over their validity.

oldnewbie said, "De Santo could not have had a grief-driven hallucination or vision because she didn't know her friend had died! She thought he was just stopping by like he always did. So there goes that explanation. The problem with scientists is that if they accept the supernatural, their world no longer makes sense."

Guest said, "I am a doctor. One of my patients died suddenly about 1 pm. When the family arrived at the hospital and was told he had died, the kids freaked out. His wife just sat there silently. I thought maybe she hadn't heard me or didn't want to hear, so I went into greater detail. She looked at me calmly and said that she knew he was going to die today. She said she woke up around 5 am and he was sitting on the edge of the bed. He kissed her, smoothed the hair back from her face and told her it was time for him to leave, but he loved her and would watch over her until she could come join him where he was going. Explain that."

Bluabs said, "This happened to my grandma. Her daily routine before she became ill was to go to the local market in the morning, buy fresh produce and cook lunch and dinner for the family. She had a stroke and was confined to the hospital for a week. Hours after she died, several market vendors recalled seeing her come through the market and purchase items, greeting everyone cheerfully as usual. They were all so happy for her that she had recovered. Imagine their shock when told she had passed away the previous night."

skeptic933 said, "I always awake early before my wife. One Saturday, I woke up at my usual time (6 a.m.), and found my wife sitting alone downstairs on the sofa in the dark. When I asked what was wrong, she said she had heard her Dad's voice while she was 'asleep' saying, 'I am ready to go now. It is all right; I am not afraid' and addressing my wife by name. My wife replied, 'Are you sure, Dad?' and he said, yes. Then my wife's mother called to say Dad had died in his sleep earlier that morning. I am a skeptic, a scientist, an atheist, an all-round cynic. But ever since that day, I concluded there is something here I don't understand, but it is real."

therm said, "This has happened to me with three people in my life. I never saw an apparition of them, but things happened that can't be explained. I'm a scientist, and it was difficult to reconcile these things. But, with our knowledge that the universe is both local and non-local, I believe it's real. Call it a cosmic consciousness if you want, but it's there. I think this is where all of our delusions about god have stemmed from, but I would bet my money on the non-local universe and quantum entanglement."

forrester99 said, "There is this thing called an 'observer' in quantum physics, absolutely necessary for quantum physics to actually work, but it is never defined and there is no theory that can account for its existence. Yet we know that people are observers, because what they observe causes the collapse of the wave function of particles, not only in the future but also in the past. That is just as spooky and mystical as any paranormal event. Until we understand the nature of the observer in quantum physics, I suggest you hold off on saying what can and cannot happen in this strange and wonderful universe we live in."

Without a job, California woman forced to live a lie

Update: Sukhraj Beasla's story

California bank manager Sukhraj Beasla was about to be promoted to assistant vice president when she was laid off. A year-and-a-half after her unemployment benefits ran out - in the summer of 2010 - Beasla submitted her story to iReport, saying she was still smiling. Now, as she barely makes makes ends meet working a variety of part-time jobs with no benefits, she's not so optimistic. Many CNN.com readers sent good wishes and advice and said they had families like hers.

archanamol said, "I am Indian, I had the same problem, and yes, it is hard to look your parents and relatives in the eye in an unending critique of yourself while being honest about your situation. Move out of the expensive area. Move back home if you must (most Indian parents will let you). Roll up your sleeves and accept whatever you manage to land. Forget about what the family will say about lack of prestige; it's an honest living. I did this, and I learned more in that time than during my more successful job years. At the age of 30 she should be strong enough to be honest about herself to her family."

canadian306 said, "If she's sending 30-50 applications a day, however, I think she isn't putting much thought into them. My advice is to cut down on volume and focus your efforts into submitting a few good applications per day rather than 30-50 which I presume are fairly generic."

Many readers suggested she move to a cheaper area or take in a renter. baboons said, "At least move out of California. That's part of the problem. sandalo Move to Buffalo NY, Geico is hiring and so are the local banks M & T and First Niagara, over 500 positions between those two banks."

But squeekybrain said, "Moving costs a fortune too, and if no job is waiting for her, she could be really skeerewed." sarahH said, "She might have a lease. Breaking a lease can cost more than 3 times the rent and failing to pay that can cost you your credit rating."

The8thSeal said, "The poor and broke ... a.k.a. the U.S. middle class."

1. fernace

Nope, Yep, you're wrong! I have had many para.nor.mal experiences in my life & while I can't speak for any religious organizations I can say that our life force is spiritual! I also don't know for sure where we go, when we die, but I know that while our physical bodies "rot" as you put it, the spirit or soul moves on! Jazzzzz & banasy I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your babies, a parents worst nightmare! It seems you are healing & able to talk about it, which is healthy! Your little boy's visits, banasy, are an expression of love & a sign that he's earthbound! Next time, aknowledge his presence & encourage him to move on! That is, if you can bear to let go of his visits, because it is almost like letting go 2ce! If we think about it, most of us have had a "visit" or 3 in our lives, it's not uncommon! Yep, even you, Yep! Ps. don't hide your gift, raven! People tell me I'm nuts all the time! I just smile & agree!! :)

September 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Awww, thanks again, layminister herman.

September 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Scanland

None of those people who had dreams got them out of thin air. They knew these people were going to die.
    They hallucinated a comforting dream. Nothing more.
    People who are totally clueless about the health of their loved ones (like a control group) do not have these dreams.

These things sound good, but they can easily be debunked. If you don't want your fantasy-dream debunked, don't shove it in other people's faces and keep it a private treasured memory. Keep your comfort private.

September 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • R. Davis

I'm 67 years of age and I have had more than a hand full of events that I would like a scientist explain.
      None of them had anything to do with dreams my first was in 1956 the last was in 2001.
      But like most people I keep them private.

September 27, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm's paranormal experience

Well errr regardin' dreams I awoke from sleep one nite and found my future spouse had astral projected themselves to mah sofa, comfortablly sleeping next to me holding my right hand...by the time I woke up they'd done mystically dissapeared. I tellyah when I catch up with'em inna future they gonna hafta leave that occult sheeit alone...

September 27, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

@fernace:
    He wasn't little, exactly, he was 17, and after a couple of years I encouraged him to go into the light. I think he just visits occasionally to check in and see what my younger daughter is up to; he adored her.
    He'll always be in my heart anyway; I will never lose him, really.

September 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@Scanland:
    You cannot debunk what I know. You will not have experienced what I have; so you have no idea what to debunk.
    We'll just keep it that way, shall we?
    Since you find the idea of people telling similar stories on a thread specifically about this topic uncomfortable, there are other threads to post on.
    Buh bye.

September 26, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

Wow scanland, I can only imagine the solace you must give to your friends and family in times of crisis. Do you tell them that crying is just a biological function?

September 26, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nancy

I believe in reincarnation... yes, I know, almost as bad as believing in a "god" that's gonna make everything all right. But not quite, y'know? I think we've been here before, we'll be here again, and we keep coming back to work out what we didn't learn the last time, but that's just me.

That's the only way I can explain some of the things that have happened in MY life, though. Sometimes, the soul doesn't realize that it needs to move on – or it does, but it has strong feelings of unfinished business. My daughter and I have gone through this in other lifetimes (learned via hypnosis in separate sessions, over a year apart), and we're still working out the kinks. My son has had an irrational fear of water since infancy, but an equally irrational pull toward certain shipwrecks in history.

Once my daughter and a friend wanted to film some footage inside a building that was rumored to be "haunted." As they asked permission from the owner, I sat in my vehicle, just keeping an eye on the girls, wondering how it was going. As clear as anything, I heard a voice tell me "It's okay, we don't mind if they're here." There was no one else in, or near, my vehicle.

I've had other similar instances occur... but they don't bother me so much as they affirm the presence of an essence that transcends the physical. And, again, I know it sounds batty... but it makes sense to me.

September 26, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. gung hoe

Wow everybodys on this thread hi jazzz and raven jazzz Iam so sorry for your loss and banasy so so sorry for loss of eric ,But hes watching over you and keeping his mommy safe from evel spirits @justathought thats true love budd its to be honored and cherished.@fernace please dont let anybody discourage you with what youre doin @skel you know all of us love you and youre md seafood

September 26, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. s kel

Bansay , Jazzzz scanland is just some close minded azz that is so blind that he will refuse to see even things before him.

September 26, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. s kel

gung hoe I wish I could ship some to you and thank you. Say hello to our mutual friend bansay and I wish you well and even more succesful in your roofing business.

September 26, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gung hoe

Im with you there skel that scanlan probably makes his day by being a jerk

September 26, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. gung hoe

@skel will do Also Im going to get to meet chrissey one day next week for a lunch my treat

September 26, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. raven

Hey gung hoe! havent talked to you in a while .hope youre well. Tell Chrissy raven says hello. I think its pretty cool that this forum is forging friendships outside of it.

September 26, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. gung hoe

I tell you what skel , That banasy if she dont have it together I d be very suprised She seems sooo squared away And shes such a nice person You know you can tell how they are by how they treat others

September 26, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. clearmind

@banasy & jazzzzzzz Now I understand how you could have been so gracious towards me when my wife was murdered. Thank you and I too am so very sorry for loss. both of you are such wonderful women. also where has my brother Joey (jif) been, good I hope. Love to both of you. James (mr sandyk)

September 27, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |