September 27th, 2011

16 dead after bus runs over land mine in Afghanistan

[Posted at 9:50 a.m. ET] Sixteen people, including 11 children, were killed when their bus ran over a landmine Tuesday in Afghanistan's Herat province, according to a spokesman for the Herat police, Noorkhan Nikzad.

Also among the dead are four women, Nikzad said, and at least four civilians were injured.

The civilian minibus struck the mine in Herat's Shendand district while returning from a wedding party with 20 people aboard, he said. Taliban militants are believed to have planted the mines, he said.

[Posted at 8:59 a.m. ET] Sixteen people, including 11 children, were killed after their bus ran over a land mine explosion Tuesday in the Herat province of Afghanistan, according to a spokesman for the Herat police, Noorkhan Nikzad.

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as soon as we get it.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan
  1. banasy©

What, the Taliban is protesting WEDDINGS now?
    11 children?
    Disgusting.

September 27, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Insensetive bunch of gits.
    Freaking bunch of cowards.

September 27, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat2u.

Yeah the taliban did make a statement that they were going to start targeting weddings and funerals.
    That is one sick bunch of trash. We are starting our drawdown of troops and it's so sad that we can't protect these people. Our warriors have done all they can do, and it is time to bring all of them home. The taliban is always going to be there wether we are or not. And they are going to continue to kill their own people, wether we're there or not. It will never change.

September 27, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

I read that they were going to start targeting weddings, but I didn't think even the Taliban would stoop so low...I was tragically wrong.
    These people are brutal, no better than a pack of wild animals in nature.
    There is *nothing* in their perverted rhetoric that would *ever* make me want to follow their teachings. Nothing.
    I am sure that muslims everywhere are shaking their heads in dismay.

September 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat2u.

Until the people say ENOUGH, this type of violence will never stop. Sadly though, they won't even try to defend themselves. Personally, I'd rather go down swinging than just roll over and let them do what they want. I'll definitely take as many with me as I can.

September 27, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jordan scene©

Yeah these taliban sure are sick and twisted people! But you really couldn't classify them as wild animals, because their action even go against the laws of nature. But what do you expect from a group of people that is so isolated from the rest of the world and blinded By their twisted faith and teachings? Unfortunately even with the largest standing army, there is no foreseable way we will ever fully defeat the taliban. You can kill a person or people, but its not as easy to kill an idea or a movement.

September 27, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Anomic Office Drone

I try time and time again to understand where the Taliban and groups like them are coming from, but I simply cannot process attacking the innocent to hurt your actual target. I understand their reasoning, but I can't empathize. I can't imagine how you live with yourself after even thinking of doing that to people, much less going through with it. They just make me sick. I can't help but question their very humanity.

September 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RUFFNUTT ( PEOPLE FOR FREE AIR ON MARS & MUNTANT RIGHTS ACTIVIST )

some one better call triple a.. that bus is going to need some rode-side asistance

September 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. leeintulsa

Those afghanis really oughta do something about these nut jobs.. Hey, how about Mata ReligiousMurderers.. Doesn't really roll of the tongue.. Maybe Mata Talis.. Or Qaedis..

September 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

Maybe they don't know you can have gangs based on something besides god.

September 27, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

@Jordan scene©:
    You're right.
    My apologies to the wild animals.

September 27, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |