October 3rd, 2011

Officials: Initial air quality tests show no danger from Texas chemical plant fire

Preliminary air quality tests show "no threat to the public" from a massive fire at a Texas chemical plant Monday, city and federal officials said.

Waxahachie Fire Chief David Hudgins said authorities believe that the fire "overran the sprinkler system," and it sent thick plumes of smoke high into the sky hours after it started. There were no flames visible by late afternoon, though by then the blaze might have discharged dangerous substances into the air, according to the federal Environmental Protection Agency.

That prompted EPA staff to dispatch air monitors to test for toxic vapors. Around 4:45 p.m. (5:45 p.m. EST), Waxahachie city spokeswoman Amy Hollywood said initial tests did not indicate any danger to those in the area. That assessment was later confirmed by EPA official Nicolas Brescia.

"We have not seen any significant level that would cause a public health concern," Brescia told reporters.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Texas
  1. banasy©

Uh huh.
    Let's deregulate this, so we can create more jobs!
    *NOT*!

October 3, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • hesea

Can't find any news on Fast and Furious. Needed to search CNN. Conrad Murry and Amanda Fox bigger news than US gov gun running?

October 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff Frank ( R - Ohio ) "Extremist Fruit Cake"

Do you know the first word contained in the word assessment. It's kinda like the feeling you get when you spend $5.99 for couple bottles of Evian water, then suddenly realize what Evian is spelled backwards. Only four articles down from this one, CNN made it abundantly clear, the north arctic has a huge hole in the ozone layer, but here four articles up, there's no problem with the air. I guess the airheads can say whatever they want on CNN blogs, cause they realize we're losing sight of our own sanity.

October 3, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lee Fong Lumberyard ( R - Ohio )

U jus keep fire way frum mi would.

October 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Jeff, you say that like it's a *bad* thing...
    J/K!
    And do you know, I've never noticed the Evian thing before, but then I never bought it, anyway...otherwise I'd feel really, really stupid!

October 3, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Goody! Lee Fong's back!

October 3, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. fernace

This is my state & Perry is on Obama about giving us more time to clean up the grandfathered industries! Now 1 has blown, (they do that regularly) & sent a toxic cloud in the air which may come back to earth or help to continue eroding the ozone! Lovely! Like we're not coughing & weezing enough around here! Please don't tell me "the article said..." 1st it was a fire at a chemical plant, 2nd it was a preliminary test! I've been thru these things many times, they always send toxins in the air! Of course TX. airquality is already pretty poor! What's a few more chemicals to suck in!!

October 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. leeintulsa

If the government says it, it's gotta be true..

October 3, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Oh, baloney!
    This isn't leeintulsa...

October 3, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@b.. and i will call you b.. if this is anyone, it's most certainly leeintulsa. there was sarcasm in that – I've noticed you put some sort of sarcasm tags on things so people will know you are being sarcastic when you are being sarcastic. I don't use such tags.. if they don't get it, screw em..lol.. j/k

I willl grant you one thing. I have changed from when I was blogging, so recently ago. I'm on my computer now – apparently alot of things were moving quickly, and not being able to page back was a ... hinderance.. Perhaps that is the change in 'style' you are noting.. On the phone, I don't mess with caps so much.. but on the computer, I'm much more likely to not be able to help capitalizing things that should be capitalized..

October 3, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Ohhhh, I get it; when you're on your phone, your u/n is in blue and underlined.
    You're on your computer.
    I use the sarcasm font when I'm being overly sarcastic...I'm a jerk that way. 😉

October 3, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. leeintulsa

ok, you're caught up..

October 3, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. leeintulsa

ok, so where were we?

October 3, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

Lol @ leeintulsa you were gov bashing lee...lmao...puleeezzz continue. No one does it better, and so tactful as you and i enjoy it tremendously lol

October 4, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. justathought

@ Jeff Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but if you knew the toxins and other unhealthy stuff the government allows you to comsume food and drinks, and the same wiith medicines that you may take then that hole ozone layer doesn't look too bad. The politicans are not to concerned about the enviromet or your health; the only thing they are concerned about is money and how much of it is going into their bank account and if they are going to be re-elected. Someone said yesterday that greed is a good thing, (So long as it kept him employed.)

October 4, 2011 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. Chemical Fires

Your body is a furnace.

October 4, 2011 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. Uraluni

– A look into a CNN story five years into the future –

The residents living within the Waxahachie area have been reporting an increased number of three armed children being born.

However, the EPA strongly denies there is any link to the large fire at the chemical plant five years ago.

October 4, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |