Overheard on CNN.com: What exactly do the protesters want?
Police ticketed more than 700 "Occupy Wall Street" demonstrators crossing the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday in New York.
October 3rd, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: What exactly do the protesters want?

The recent "Occupy Wall Street" protests have been a hot topic on CNN.com lately, and the stories about them have prompted a great deal of discussion among readers. Many readers engaged in very heated debates, while many others wondered what the demonstrations were really about.

Wall Street protests enter 3rd week, pick up steam

Some readers have applauded the efforts of the protesters:

carnac95 said, “I think this movement is AWESOME!  It's about time the left be heard. We are hard working Americans that believe in science, innovation, compassion and taking our country back from the far right that only want "each man for himself." We are ALL in this together!!!”

JesusLizard said, “We should all be protesting. Sick of CEOs with their $10 million golden parachutes as they leave corporations that fail to make a profit to go work for another.  Sick of the billions our government has thrown at the banksters.  And a $14 trillion debt is unacceptable! Take the protest to Washington!”

Jones3 said, “I LOVE the protesters.  This is what this Country is all about.  I applaud their courage. The nationwide protests in this Country have: given people Civil Rights, stopped the last stupid War we were pushed into (Vietnam) and caused many other good things to come.  What else can we do with such a messed up Government?”

Others have indicated uncertainty over what the protesters’ exact aims are:

goingsoon said, “What exactly is the goal of the protests?  "End corruption" is too vague.  I wonder how many of these protesters are just sitting in, getting arrested with no ability to define the outcome they seek.”

randaxe said, “I still don't understand the objectives. What do these guys want to happen? More taxes on the rich? More regulation? The purpose has to be clear enough to demand for a particular action versus just saying the economy sucks.”

One reader expressed his bewilderment with the protests, asserting that the protesters are essentially going nowhere by protesting the various issues at Wall Street:

ExLonghorn said, “This whole protest thing is baffling to me. American consumers are pushing for ever-lower prices, which push local companies out of business and which push corporations to move costs overseas.  Then everyone complains that there aren't enough jobs, and that incomes are stagnant or declining. Well, duh. That's how this whole thing works, folks. Either buy American, or get ready to compete with 2 billion people in Asia who are willing to work harder than you for a tenth of your income. If this protest is about fairness, I humbly submit to you that WASHINGTON is the place to protest."

Other readers attempted to better explain the protesters' cause:

Libertycall said, “We are for taxation fairness and financial discipline, but not while Wall Street disposes of our income and savings. It's not anarchy, strikes, disorder we're aiming for, because our economy is in a poor shape.  We want to educate people who think they do well only by comparison to starving, unemployed, and desperate. We are on a course of becoming a 2nd Greece, and we want to prevent it, while we still can.”

ddelrose said, "People are speaking up about their frustrations of living in a country that has outsourced their jobs, corporate profits being made off the backs of those that do work, affordable healthcare that is unattainable, a Wall Street that has forgotten about taking care of its investors and politicians that have sent us down the river for their own goals. It is time to speak up...and stand up to what is happening here in America. If we don't, this country will never survive."

1. chrissy

hey banasy waddup girl! was gonna call ya earlier but thought might as well excercise the brain and knew i would run into u here lol

October 3, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat2u.

Hey banasy
    Oh, I totally agree. Peaceful is definitely the way to go. I just hope that some screwed up in the head types don't infiltrate their ranks. There are a whole lot of crazies out there. Look what happened in london. That started off as a peaceful vigil for that slain man.

Oh wait a minute, I think I see your mom too. Hey Mrs. banasy. lol

October 3, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Thomas Jefferson

Why censoring......justa patriot tellin it like it is..,

October 3, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tattletail Tattler

Imma tell, Oh Deputy Eric Holden, dem evil elitists banking peoples with their conivin' lawyahs is a censoring mah Thomas Jefferson's banking quotes...

October 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bigwilliestyles

CNN is so full of crap. CNN, ABC, The Washington Post, Citigroup, Microsoft, AIG, all multinational, globe straddling conglomerates, huge corporations everyone, but the people are supposed to believe that the "News" corporations think differently from other corporations? Please. First the "News" Corps try to ignore the protest (just like the rest of Wall St.), now they want to know "what the protesters want" an attempt to make them look unorganized and rudder less, the prelude to a campaign of ridicule.

October 3, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bigwilliestyles

What they want is for you 'smartest guy in the room' suit and tie wearing, Blackberry/briefcase carrying CRIMINALS to give the country a break from your financial crime spree, and to be held accountable for your past robbery. What's so hard to understand about that?

October 3, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@saywhat:
    Word.
    I think, however, that's too much to put on one sign.

October 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Oops, I'm sorry- that was meant for bigwilliestyles.
    My apologies.

October 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@leeintulsa:
    No, not many...I read more than anything...I've been movie deficient for most of my life!

@chrissy:
    I'm under the weather today; been laying down almost the entire day. Blargh...if you know what I mean.

October 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ bigwilliestyles:
    I wear suits and ties from Bergdorf's and carry a black alligator briefcase. I'm writing to you on a Blackberry.
    Do you think that these things define me as a robber?
    Would you consider that perhaps I worked a lot harder to get these things than most people who don't have them?

October 3, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

i know that feeling very well banasy! and i cant remember the last time i got more than 4 hours sleep in l day! goin to my drs thurs tho thank god! ive had this dayum cold almost 2 weeks!

October 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

My long and thoughtful comment on this demonstration and the economic direction of this country (and other countries) didn't make the cut.
    Maybe I'll chop it and submit it in little phrases.

October 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    Get well soon.

October 3, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Thank you, JIF.
    Re: your comment:
    Start with the head.

October 3, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

@chrissy:
    You poor dear; you have chronic pain.
    You're a better woman than I when it comes to that.

October 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |