Overheard on CNN.com: What exactly do the protesters want?
Police ticketed more than 700 "Occupy Wall Street" demonstrators crossing the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday in New York.
October 3rd, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: What exactly do the protesters want?

The recent "Occupy Wall Street" protests have been a hot topic on CNN.com lately, and the stories about them have prompted a great deal of discussion among readers. Many readers engaged in very heated debates, while many others wondered what the demonstrations were really about.

Wall Street protests enter 3rd week, pick up steam

Some readers have applauded the efforts of the protesters:

carnac95 said, “I think this movement is AWESOME!  It's about time the left be heard. We are hard working Americans that believe in science, innovation, compassion and taking our country back from the far right that only want "each man for himself." We are ALL in this together!!!”

JesusLizard said, “We should all be protesting. Sick of CEOs with their $10 million golden parachutes as they leave corporations that fail to make a profit to go work for another.  Sick of the billions our government has thrown at the banksters.  And a $14 trillion debt is unacceptable! Take the protest to Washington!”

Jones3 said, “I LOVE the protesters.  This is what this Country is all about.  I applaud their courage. The nationwide protests in this Country have: given people Civil Rights, stopped the last stupid War we were pushed into (Vietnam) and caused many other good things to come.  What else can we do with such a messed up Government?”

Others have indicated uncertainty over what the protesters’ exact aims are:

goingsoon said, “What exactly is the goal of the protests?  "End corruption" is too vague.  I wonder how many of these protesters are just sitting in, getting arrested with no ability to define the outcome they seek.”

randaxe said, “I still don't understand the objectives. What do these guys want to happen? More taxes on the rich? More regulation? The purpose has to be clear enough to demand for a particular action versus just saying the economy sucks.”

One reader expressed his bewilderment with the protests, asserting that the protesters are essentially going nowhere by protesting the various issues at Wall Street:

ExLonghorn said, “This whole protest thing is baffling to me. American consumers are pushing for ever-lower prices, which push local companies out of business and which push corporations to move costs overseas.  Then everyone complains that there aren't enough jobs, and that incomes are stagnant or declining. Well, duh. That's how this whole thing works, folks. Either buy American, or get ready to compete with 2 billion people in Asia who are willing to work harder than you for a tenth of your income. If this protest is about fairness, I humbly submit to you that WASHINGTON is the place to protest."

Other readers attempted to better explain the protesters' cause:

Libertycall said, “We are for taxation fairness and financial discipline, but not while Wall Street disposes of our income and savings. It's not anarchy, strikes, disorder we're aiming for, because our economy is in a poor shape.  We want to educate people who think they do well only by comparison to starving, unemployed, and desperate. We are on a course of becoming a 2nd Greece, and we want to prevent it, while we still can.”

ddelrose said, "People are speaking up about their frustrations of living in a country that has outsourced their jobs, corporate profits being made off the backs of those that do work, affordable healthcare that is unattainable, a Wall Street that has forgotten about taking care of its investors and politicians that have sent us down the river for their own goals. It is time to speak up...and stand up to what is happening here in America. If we don't, this country will never survive."

1. leeintulsa

@banasy: monty python, Life of Brian.. check it out...

October 3, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. s kel

hey bansay.

October 3, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. s kel

wife on phone now as I write this, she wants to know if Mackinaw Island is shutdown at Christmas time?

October 3, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    I apologize. I think I came off as arrogant again after seeing my style defined as that of a robber, and I'd like to keep my head because I don't steal.

October 3, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bigwilliestyles

@ JIF: your attempt at misdirection was less than admirable. But if your wear and carry the above mentioned items, and you engage in criminal behavior with selfish, criminal intent, or are part, parcel and accomplish to those who do, yes you are a criminal. The people at CNN, who are censoring blogs are criminals. Corporate CEO's holding back employment for political purposes are criminals. If you fit the above, so are you.

October 3, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bigwilliestyles

Style doesn't define one as a robber, criminal actions with criminal intent define one as a criminal.

October 3, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hey, fernace. I supported the protest too, with many thoughts on the complexity of our economic problems–and Europe's. It hit education, mentality, work ethics–you know my thinking, and I thought it was too conservative and–this time–rejected by a human, not a Hal.

October 3, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

do u know the answer to that banasy? dont wanta jump in if you do. and P.D. is gettin dumber every day! fri he found a loaded 38 between our house and the abandoned one next door and wont turn it in! dont get no smarter eh? lol and hey s kel how are you?

October 3, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@JIF:
    Oh, ok.

@leeintulsa:
    Why aren't you blue?

@s kel:
    Hi. And yes, I think it is, although chrissy or gung hoe might be able to tell you more.

October 3, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@b: LOL I get it now. I'm on my computer. I've noticed when I post from my phone, my name is 'clickable'.. though it doesn't seem to do anything on my phone.. what happens when you click my name when it's blue?

October 3, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

@JIF:
    I was alluding to the Mexican thread.
    never your head, sir.

@chrissy:
    You've got a prince there...unload it and throw the bullets far, far away, if you can't talk sense into him!

October 3, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ bigwilliestyles:
    Now your message is admirably clear, but it was not when I responded to your post.
    Nothing I have ever done is, in any way, criminal. I have worked all my life to escape the dire poverty into which I was born, and I am successful.
    My point was that there is nothing necessarily criminal about success.

October 3, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@joey: I consider myself a success.. But I think anyone that can afford to pay *someone else* to work on their car is a success..

October 3, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. toocy

What do we want?Stuff! When do we want it? Whenever.

October 3, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

if i could find it id call the cops myself!

October 3, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bigwilliestyles

@ JIF: never will I have a problem with an opinion, whether it differs from mine is irrelevant. Nor am I a 'politically correct enthusiast; as a matter of fact, I totally agree with the statement made by Hank Williams Jr.concerning the golf pairing. Right is right. But wrong is wrong and crime is crime. All criminals should be behind bars, not just the ones who can't afford fancy lawyer.

October 3, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

and s kel weather permitting yes it is unless theyve changed it in the last 5 years. but i believe that is the end of their season. you can google it tho to find out 4 sure which i reccommend

October 3, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |