Overheard on CNN.com: What exactly do the protesters want?
Police ticketed more than 700 "Occupy Wall Street" demonstrators crossing the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday in New York.
October 3rd, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: What exactly do the protesters want?

The recent "Occupy Wall Street" protests have been a hot topic on CNN.com lately, and the stories about them have prompted a great deal of discussion among readers. Many readers engaged in very heated debates, while many others wondered what the demonstrations were really about.

Wall Street protests enter 3rd week, pick up steam

Some readers have applauded the efforts of the protesters:

carnac95 said, “I think this movement is AWESOME!  It's about time the left be heard. We are hard working Americans that believe in science, innovation, compassion and taking our country back from the far right that only want "each man for himself." We are ALL in this together!!!”

JesusLizard said, “We should all be protesting. Sick of CEOs with their $10 million golden parachutes as they leave corporations that fail to make a profit to go work for another.  Sick of the billions our government has thrown at the banksters.  And a $14 trillion debt is unacceptable! Take the protest to Washington!”

Jones3 said, “I LOVE the protesters.  This is what this Country is all about.  I applaud their courage. The nationwide protests in this Country have: given people Civil Rights, stopped the last stupid War we were pushed into (Vietnam) and caused many other good things to come.  What else can we do with such a messed up Government?”

Others have indicated uncertainty over what the protesters’ exact aims are:

goingsoon said, “What exactly is the goal of the protests?  "End corruption" is too vague.  I wonder how many of these protesters are just sitting in, getting arrested with no ability to define the outcome they seek.”

randaxe said, “I still don't understand the objectives. What do these guys want to happen? More taxes on the rich? More regulation? The purpose has to be clear enough to demand for a particular action versus just saying the economy sucks.”

One reader expressed his bewilderment with the protests, asserting that the protesters are essentially going nowhere by protesting the various issues at Wall Street:

ExLonghorn said, “This whole protest thing is baffling to me. American consumers are pushing for ever-lower prices, which push local companies out of business and which push corporations to move costs overseas.  Then everyone complains that there aren't enough jobs, and that incomes are stagnant or declining. Well, duh. That's how this whole thing works, folks. Either buy American, or get ready to compete with 2 billion people in Asia who are willing to work harder than you for a tenth of your income. If this protest is about fairness, I humbly submit to you that WASHINGTON is the place to protest."

Other readers attempted to better explain the protesters' cause:

Libertycall said, “We are for taxation fairness and financial discipline, but not while Wall Street disposes of our income and savings. It's not anarchy, strikes, disorder we're aiming for, because our economy is in a poor shape.  We want to educate people who think they do well only by comparison to starving, unemployed, and desperate. We are on a course of becoming a 2nd Greece, and we want to prevent it, while we still can.”

ddelrose said, "People are speaking up about their frustrations of living in a country that has outsourced their jobs, corporate profits being made off the backs of those that do work, affordable healthcare that is unattainable, a Wall Street that has forgotten about taking care of its investors and politicians that have sent us down the river for their own goals. It is time to speak up...and stand up to what is happening here in America. If we don't, this country will never survive."

1. bigwilliestyles

If Madof's empire hadn't run short on funds, he would currently be a pillar of society, looking down his nose at the 'less fortunate'. I have more respect for the ladies who clean my building than a Madof or his ilk, but I wonder how many more Madofs are out there, bilking people out of there hard earned money and living the high life, while complaining daily about the 'high crime rates' in urban America, and laughing quietly to themselves.

October 3, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

lol @ banasy and if i could unload and toss the prince id do that too girl!! lmao and today woulda been a gr8 day 4 that... i told u ive had a cold ever since i got back from upnorth, today i was coughin and he runs to my room and says "u smokin crack"

October 3, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ leeintulsa:
    I think that what you have done in your life is a model of success.
    I've told you that before.

October 3, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@joey: and you're a friend of banasy's, so you must be alright:) thank you..

October 3, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

now ive seen a few crackheads since ive moved down here and my observation, they WOULDNT cough if their lives depended on it lmao

October 3, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@leeintulsa:
    Nothing happens! I jiust want to know how you do that so it's not so easy to get trolled...that's why you're not, you know...

@chrissy:
    Why? Did he want some?
    What is *wrong* with him? Yeesh!

October 3, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

lmao @ banassy! hes l. demented 2. pickled and 3. dumb as a post!

October 3, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ bigwilliestyles:
    I agree with you that anyone who devises and manages a racket is a criminal.
    That has nothing to do with wearing fine clothes, carrying a showy briefcase, and talking on a Blackberry–the last item in the list, I'm told, will soon be outdated and therefore "out."
    Your post was not clear to me, and I am a terrific editor in both manuscripts and musical scores.
    Surely you would agree that not every rich person is a criminal. I know many rich people. Very few of them would steal anything at all.

October 3, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@joey: I don't think he's talking to you, bro.. And just so you know, if you wear a blackberry, you are part of the collective. They say resistance is futile.. I know it not to be true 🙂

October 3, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

The "HEAD" of my rejected post:
    Many comments about the demonstration were based on truth, but none contained the entire truth of the very complex issue of our economic failure.
    Reading the comments was like hearing the descriptions of an elephant being described by a group of blind men, each feeling one part of the animal.
    Let's see whether that "beheaded head" gets past Hal or not.

October 3, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. s kel

Thanks crissy, bansay, we might spend Christmas there at the resort on that island.

October 4, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ leeintulsa:
    Thanks. I don't really fit into the mold that forms the men he hates. I just had this one day off, and I'm rested, I guess. Tomorrow morning starts it all over. I had so much fun not doing anything today that I don't want to go to sleep–have to, though.
    Ciao.

October 4, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

yw s kel do you live in michigan? and if so have you been to frankenmuth? very, very beautiful place especially during the holidays!! 🙂

October 4, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Bonjour banasy, leeintulsa, fernace, saywhat, raven, Cesar, jazzzz, Philip, gung hoe, Atsa Lotta-Spaghetti, Mmmmm, Jordan Scene, and anybody I missed.
    I slept in, dreading the day's work. Now hitting gym (chest/back) then teach, office stuff, and, eternally, practice, practice the piano.
    About second in my rejected demonstration comment: many protesters really don't understand what is wrong, but they know that something is TERRIBLY wrong, and that nobody around them has any money–or even a job.
    Our entire mentality needs to change, and leaders need to stop telling lies to get (or buy) votes.
    It's more than a book's worth, and complex.

October 4, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Many of us have believed too many cotton-candy lies that come to us from a surround-sound system.
    Our educational system is broken. The underlying philosophy, since the per-
    version of William James's thinking, is inverted. Money is not the answer. Computers are part of out educational problem: pupils can retrieve and assemble facts quickly without learning to think. The loss of having to write things down (tactile learning) and the annoyance of having to look up information are parts of the problem.
    It's a lot more than one book.

October 4, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. ANONYMOUS 0407

THIS IS A MESSAGE FROM ANONYMOUS... YOU WISH TO KNOW THE GOALS OF WALLSTREET PROTESTERS? yOU WISH TO KNOW THE GOALS OF ANONYMOUS AS A WHOLE. SEARCH "ANONYMOUS: OPERATION NO MIDDLE GROUND" ON YOUTUBE. ALSO CHECK OUT OTHER VIDEOS ON ANONYMOUS 0407 CHANNEL.

October 4, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I've been rebuked here for mentioning dependency on the government for money. I understand that in this complex economic situation, many have no other recourse. Nevertheless, everyone needs to break that addiction, and it's as hard as having to detox from Valium. Many don't know that they can become independent.
    I have championed an aspiration to wealth. Not everyone can become wealthy, but by trying to achieve wealth, everyone can make a living. To the tops of the trees through trying to reach the stars.
    One can make his own job. I made mine.
    It's much more complex. I've just touched the issue.

October 4, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |