Clerk’s mistake led to $25M prize, Powerball winner says
Powerball winner Kathy Scruggs says she intended to buy only a Mega Millions ticket when she entered a store last month.
October 4th, 2011

Clerk’s mistake led to $25M prize, Powerball winner says

The odds of winning a Powerball jackpot are 1 in 195,249,054. It appears Kathy Scruggs beat them without even trying.

Scruggs, 44, of Lithonia, Georgia, told lottery officials Monday that she won September 14’s $25 million Powerball jackpot only because a store clerk had misunderstood which lottery ticket she wanted to buy.

Scruggs said she had asked the clerk at a Shell Food Mart for a Mega Millions ticket, not a Powerball slip.

“But when she turned around, she had actually printed out a Powerball ticket also. So I actually bought (both),” Scruggs said Monday in a video recorded at Georgia Lottery headquarters in Atlanta, where Scruggs had come to claim the prize.

Scruggs said she realized she won the prize the day after the drawing and woke up everyone in her house.

“We were screaming and hollering, and everybody came running,” Scruggs said in a Georgia Lottery news release. “We couldn’t believe it.”

She chose the cash option and will receive $15,124,017 before taxes, according to the Georgia Lottery.

Scruggs said she had been looking for employment since her seasonal job, relating to high school prom season, wrapped up. She said she’ll use the winnings to build a home for her mother and her grandmother, and to start foundations for the homeless and to provide dental assistance for the needy.

Baljit Suddan, a clerk at the Shell Food Mart in Decatur, Georgia, where lottery officials said the winning ticket was sold, said she would have been the person to have sold the slip. But she can’t remember this particular sale, she said Tuesday.

“Sometimes it happens,” Suddan said of the ticket mix-up. “They ask for something, and by mistake (we) give them something (else). ... It was a blessing for her.”

She said she had yet to see a picture of Scruggs and looked forward to seeing one so that she could jog her memory.

“I just want the lucky lady to come over here (so I can) see her lucky face,” Suddan said.

The winning numbers for the September 14 drawing were 16, 41, 42, 50 and 59, with 5 being the Powerball.
powerball

Post by:
Filed under: Georgia • Lotto
  1. mark

LOL. Wins $25 million... but takes $15 EVEN before taxes!?? After taxes gets $7 million lump cash... lol. Yet we have plenty enough to drop 6 billion in cold CASH dollars on Iraq that for 7 years we think we lost. No tax mind you. Geez.

October 28, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Thedeacon48

Now that you are a "Millionairess" stay humbled, but now you have a new problem. "The Ravin Wolves in Sheep Clothing", your so-called friends will become your enemies ,and your enemies will become worse......God bless ya sis.

October 28, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oi

Not if she was prudent amount the company she kept before winning.. And if she doesn't go announcing her winnings to everyone. I commend her for wanting to help others, may she pray for wisdom and may God guide her!!

November 11, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Kay

I would say you got it right on the money on that total hell

August 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Raider

Congratulations on your happy accident! Have fun!

November 28, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Robin Smith

Better to be lucky than good as I always say!

December 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. obesimed zayıflama hapı

You know thus considerably in relation to this subject, produced me in my opinion imagine it from so many numerous angles. Its like women and men don't seem to be interested unless it's something to do with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding. At all times deal with it up!

June 16, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. obesimed zayıflama hapı

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I've really loved surfing around your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing for your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

June 17, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. aplicaciones en la nube

Thank you for the good writeup. It in reality used to be a amusement account it. Glance advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?

September 9, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Poetry

It's in reality a nice and useful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

September 10, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Simpel PAS | Simpel Teach

Thank you, I have just been looking for information about this topic for a while and yours is the best I've found out till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the source?|What i don't understood is actually how you're not really a lot more well-preferred than you may be right now. You are so intelligent.

September 19, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. get facebook like

You really make it seem so easy together with your presentation but I to find this topic to be actually something which I feel I'd by no means understand. It seems too complicated and extremely wide for me. I'm looking ahead on your next submit, I'll attempt to get the hang of it!

September 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply