Gotta watch: When blind see, deaf hear
Sarah Churman hears her voice for the first time thanks to an implanted hearing device.
October 5th, 2011

Gotta watch: When blind see, deaf hear

Today, Gotta Watch is looking back at some of our favorite firsts from over the years. These videos are inspired by a touching video of a deaf woman hearing her own voice for the first time.

Deaf woman hears her voice for first time – 29-year-old Sarah Churman was born with a hearing impairment, but her life changed dramatically after receiving a hearing implant. Her husband Sloan filmed the moment she was introduced to a device that allowed her to hear for the first time in her life. [cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/10/03/ac-deaf-girl-hears.cnn"%5D

Student takes first steps at graduation – An inspiration to her peers, Angeline Lavasseur crosses two milestones at the same time, walking for the first time to receive her diploma at her high school graduation. [cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/06/06/dnt.student.walks.graduation.wxyz"%5D

Brothers meet for first time – Two brothers who grew up in separate houses meet each other for the first time in more than 75 years. What's more astonishing is the fact that the brothers actually lived just minutes away from one another the whole time. [cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/07/18/pkg.elderly.brothers.unite.wbns"%5D

Blind man regains sight – A legally blind, who suffered from macular degeneration, suddenly regains his vision after being hospitalized for dizziness. [cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/10/05/dnt-blind-man-sees.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Gotta Watch • Health • Science • Technology • Uncategorized
  1. Dee

For all you hearing people out there...Not for nothing, but shouldn't a video about a deaf person hearing their voice for the first time be CLOSED CAPTIONED FOR THE HEARING IMPAIRED AND DEAF? And while I'm on the soap box here, there is NOT ONE VIDEO ON CNN that is CLOSED CAPTIONED. Now, maybe all the advertisments they run before every single video will help support the use of closed captions on all of their online video. And that goes for ever other site that runs video. It's 2012 already people. Get with the program.

October 5, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

I agree!

October 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

its actually 2011 ...but who's keeping track

October 5, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Good point, Dee!

October 6, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alexis

I agree with you Dee... I am deaf and it hard for me to hear it and understand what they are saying half of the time. It would be great if they put closed captions on here. I think if they did... more people will watch this more. people would watch this more often.

October 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. hodad

I I can explain with an equation. 0-0=0 right? But I exist.......If my equation is right you must be wrong....
    Have you ever felt or seen an xray? Logic would dictate there is no such thing then......The world and everything
    else came from a chia pet or something like that only bigger right...

October 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

Its called an xray film........ small minds are sad

October 5, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Erin

She could not have been deaf for her whole life... she would not be able to talk so effortlessly, and would not know the sounds of all words!

October 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Necessary

idiot.

October 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

While it may be possible that she has been totally deaf her whole life, I also am a little skeptical. I have know a number of deaf people and her speech patterns are better than the vast majority of the deaf people I have encountered in my life. One more thing - there is nothing wrong with being skeptical. The biggest issue I imagine she would have is comprehending the sounds of language. I would love a follow up on this story.

October 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Poptart

It actually said she was hearing impared. She might have had a degenerative condition that made it so she only got implants later in life. That would explain her age and her speech.

October 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ayn Rand

We were not born with sin. That's a silly bible talking babble job.

October 5, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dawn

So he starts us out having sins?
    He did that. Not us. He's punishing us for things that people thousands of years ago did.
    I might believe in a god someday, but it will not be such an illogical one.

October 5, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Duuuuude!

Im curious how profound her deafness actually is. Her speech is far too good to be completely deaf. Not trying to down the great situation, but want others to know that there are varying degrees of deafness. And her results may not be typical. My brother has a Cochlear Implant, and can "hear" sounds. These sounds are far from what we hear, and he is profoundly deaf. He can read lips and converse well with others, as he went to a lip reading school since 18 months of age. People who have had hearing obstructions due to illness or reactions, but have a functional cochlea, may hear nearly what we hear. Someone who is profoundly deaf, may have much less of a result. Congratulations for this girl and her family.

October 5, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • angela

That's exactly what I thought! She speaks, she recognizes different sounds. She had to hear before this to some extent. She doesn't even have vocal qualities of prelingual deaf.

October 5, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Duuuuude!

October 5, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. OkHal

I spent many years following and believing in God. After many years of trials and tribulations, filled with prayers to God to "guide me", I gave up on God. I am stronger, I love myself more, and I believe in myself more than I did chasing a fairy tale. My life is full now. However, if you want to believe in God, feel free. Just understand that I will never ask you to "research" my beliefs and shove them off on you.

October 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hasa Diga Eebowai

So when in the evolution of h0m0 sapiens did we begin to have free choice/sin? Did it start with our chimp like ancestors, genus australopithecines, genus h0m0, or are all ancestors from the original rat like mammal born into sin? Are all animals born with sin? How about plants and even single celled organisms?.................... How small your world must be

October 5, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alex Povolotski

It's high time. Drop down the 5 year approval period for many drugs and the humanity will be cured from many deceases. Red tape is the stopping factor. All the power to Wall Street protesters!!! Block the entrance to the Stock Exchange. Don't let them get in for a month!!!

October 5, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Alimack

Ayn and Dawn, I am a believer of Jesus Christ. All (believers) are not out to shove our convictions at others. I can understand why it would be difficult to believe that we are born with sin. Believers accept this because it comes from the Bible. I am the mother of two and when my children where born they were perfect and precious. But as I read scripture I can see how even children are born with a selfish nature, that selfish nature continues into adulthood and some never consider anything but themselves. To some selfishness equals sin. Hopefully we can agree that we primarily live in a "as long as it make me happy" world. Possibly people claiming to represent Christ have offended you, I regret if that has happened. The Christ I know is loving, caring, and sacraficial. My life is peaceful and full of joy (even though it hasn't been easy) because I have a relationship with Jesus. Im not writing to offend. And don't feel its necessary to defend Christ, he defended the world on the cross. But I offer you a softer perspective and hope (pray) that one day you will be open to his love. Grace and peace be with you.

October 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Laurie

The two older gentlemen obviously do share the same genes... they look and sound remarkable for their age! I hope they have 20 more years together.

October 5, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Torn

I agree a bout the closed Caption, please add them to video's. I am hearing impaired and itls wonderful to have that on most TV programs.

October 6, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  14. fernace

This is awe inspiring & has been for a while now! I think many of these scientific breakthroughs are in their infancy or 2nd-3rd tweaking to update & upgrade! In my estimation God works through humans & science to accomplish these modern day "miracles"! We live in 3D, on planet Earth & do have free will! This is a volatile planet & it's our burden & joy to live here & take the good with the bad! Many things we question God about are things we impose & can stop if we wanted to, such as wars & continous famine! I think Evolution & creation go hand in hand! I also live & let live & try not to impose my beliefs on others, but will explain (like now) when the occasion arises! That's my belief system & it gives me comfort! Hurrah for Gods work through the scientific community!!

October 6, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. starr

wow. that must be nerve breaking to actually hear for the first time. at the same time tho, exiting

November 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |