Gotta Watch: Remembering Steve Jobs
Apple's website remembers founder Steve Jobs with a dedication on their homepage mourning the loss of a "creative genius."
October 6th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Remembering Steve Jobs

Apple's visionary founder Steve Jobs passed away Wednesday at the age of 56 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Today we pay tribute to Jobs' legacy as we look back at some of the most memorable moments from his life.

Apple’s dedicated founder – In June 2011, Steve Jobs made one of his last public appearances at a Cupertino City Council meeting while presenting plans for a new Apple campus. Despite reports of being ill, Jobs brought his humor and vision and continued to show his dedication to the company he loved.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/10/06/bts-jobs-cupertino-city-council.cnn"%5D

Jobs: Live each day like it's your last – In 2005, Steve Jobs spoke poignantly about his cancer diagnosis and confronting death. Here, Jobs discusses how being faced with his own mortality inspired him to make the most of his time on Earth.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2011/10/06/jobs-stanford-commencement-dying.cnn"%5D

The creative genius behind Apple – Steve Jobs was Apple's passionate pitchman. Over the years, Jobs was front and center for the unveiling of many of Apple's greatest inventions, most often wearing his classic uniform of blue jeans and a black turtle neck. Steve Jobs' enthusiasm and wit were evident every time he took the stage.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2011/08/24/bts.steve.jobs.apple.timeline.cnn"%5D

To see more on the life and legacy of Steve Jobs, look back at some of his most memorable moments , hear from those who were closest to him and take a look at the impact his creative spirit has had.

Share your thoughts and memories in the comments section below or at iReport.com.

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Gotta Watch • Most Popular • Obituary • Science • Steve Jobs • Technology • U.S. • Uncategorized
  1. Caziy

Anita, I hate to break it to you but wake up. The job of a business is to make money, not create jobs or solve the world's problems. Would you rather he have just lived on the streets then? Honestly I don't see much point in your criticizing the dead. If you can put your name on HALF the amount of stuff that Steve Jobs helped create then I will begin to respect your opinion. But as of yet you are no different than the thousands of jealous people below him who wish they could do what he did.

October 6, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cduda

A life well lived for the masses of this earth....I hope it was well lived personally and for all of your loved ones as well.

October 6, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Johan S

Anita .. Nobody was ever forced to buy an Apple product yet they sold millions .. that is proof that Apple created more value into the world and helped the economy and created jobs. People willingly gave their money to get an iPhone or an iPad .. it was their CHOICE ..because having an iPad was better than having $400 .. it created VALUE! I'm sorry your knowledge of basic economics is sorely lacking if you think otherwise. Do you have any idea how jobs are created? You are uneducated in the basics of economics, yet you have declared an opinion .. an opinion born from stupidity .. I'm sorry to bear the bad news .. I hope you take it seriously and educated yourself about economics and why it's not a zero sum game!

October 6, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • kletus

I've tried to explain it to her, but it's beyond her comprehension.

October 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bill the Science Guy

Steve Jobs was a creative force which resulted in the creation (and not the redistribution) of wealth. Our material wealth comes from using science to do and make things more efficiently. It does not mean that wealth is being taken from others. There is a lot more total wealth in this country than there was 200 years ago. Along the way, Steve Jobs also created a lot of material wealth for a lot of other people also as well as providing products that people want. Creating a lot of wealth does not mean that the person is greedy. I think people of all income levels can be greedy. But if you do not like the material wealth and ease of living that science and technology provides, there are options. Everyone is free to join the Amish and live a life without machines and technology. It is your choice. But I do not think it is correct to call those who use technology to create wealth "greedy" just because they have created the wealth.

October 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. stevie68a

Why do posters have to introduce their imaginary friend "jesus" on these sites? For one thing, Jobs was a buddhist.

October 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kathy

People have said that Steve Jobs had an ego, and why shouldn't he have. Looking at all that he has done and contiued to invent, he left us a legacy that can't be replaced, I am deeply saddened. His journey to live each day to the fullest was my husbands motto, at the end of that, was for we don't know what tomorrow will bring. So True! Knowing Steve Jobs life, he was an Amazing Man. He was certainly Captivating, no one could walk out with a presence like his, and command so much anxiousness and excitement. You knew he was going to "Astound" you. Leaving you breathless. His humor contagious, his appeal to all he graced, left each with memories they will treasure and look back fondly, saying I was lucky to be in that moment at the right time, for I truely believe everything in life is just that "Timing". I heard someone say, that Steve Jobs did all he could here on earth, that God watched from above and said, it's my turn. I want you to come up and design an iphone and ipad just for me, so I can advance myself. Then there's Julie Chen who said her 2 year old son through the ipad converses with his 76 year old grandma, who has taught him to speak mandarin, how amazing is that! Steve Jobs has put forth another younger generation introduding technology at its finest to the toddler set. I teared up, to think this man continued his Passion to the very end, even when his life drained him of energy and good health, he fought vivaciously and visiously to pursue living his day to the fullest. He made sure each day counted and it. He left back himself in all that we use and hold within our hands, a constant reminder of yes, a man of vision, beyond his time. He could see we are headed into the digital era, so yes, do stand up, and be counted make the change that he's started for us, like his dream of building an apple campus in the shape of a circle, which by the way represents one, unity unbroken, and his message keep changing the world to make a difference. Thank You Steve Jobs for making my world a brighter and better place to live and enjoy. For reminding us all that nothing is impossible if you dare to Dream, the unimpossible becomes possible.

October 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. justice

Steve Jobs-The Apple of the Eye!

October 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Iron-man 1315

gondo and other religious people I get it you want to convince people to come to the Lord but ladies and gentelmen come on. This is not the time nor the place for it. Furthermore, in all your posts you imply that Jobs is going to Hell I would love for you to prove that. No serisously prove it absolutely and completely. Show me Jobs's place in Hell then I will believe you. For in my estimation you are commiting a most terrible sin "Judge not". Also my friends would it not be a good idea to remove your own plank before casting judgment on the mote in your now deceased brother's eye?

Spare us all your sanctimony! You don't know where Jobs is going nor can you. When last I looked you were not Christ or God.

October 6, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SLP

@Anita
    Nope, I am not part of the rich elite. I am a teacher from Georgia who makes $56,000 a year. You are right, there are greedy CEOs out there. Just like there are greedy teachers, greedy construction workers, greedy lawyers. Let's just say for the sake of argument that he didn't share his wealth with the world. You know what, that was his choice. He made his money by his own ingenuity and hard work. It was his money to decide what to do with it. At the end of this life, we are all going to have to answer for what we did with the resources we were blessed with. True charity comes from the heart, not from government regulations. Rich people aren't running my life. I am sorry if they are running yours. Sounds like you are dealing with some bitterness. I hope you can find some peace. Maybe concentrating on doing what you can to help the less fortunate instead of hating those who have more than you would be a start down the right road.

October 6, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jack

Steve Jobs RIP
    built a website for remembering Steve Jobs
    http://www.ourstevejobs.com – Collecting 19552011 messages.

October 6, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Matthew S.

CNN,

I realize that a buck's a buck, but seriously – could you try and use a little tact when displaying ads before "in memoriams"? There's just something slightly tacky about clicking on a Breaking New item, as I did last night, have having the video prefacing the Steve Jobs death announcement with an ad for a Swiffer.

October 6, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • JGeuy

Steve Wozniak chose to leave and still collects a paycheck from Apple to this day. He never shared the same passion for the process that Jobs did and left to puruse- happily- other opportunities.

October 6, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SteveJ was the man!!

I admire this man with all my heart.....may he rest in peace!.....and whoever speaks bad about him (you know who you are), its simple.....its called envy

October 6, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Troy

Steve Jobs got to where he was by stealing, lying and exploiting Steve Wozniak. If you, or your company, are sitting on tens of billions of dollars "just in case", and you're not spending that on medicine or schools or feeding the poor, you are an egomaniacal piece of trash. Sorry Steve, but good riddance.

October 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. rob g

I listened to steve talk and what a selfless guy and one who is so courageous facing his end the way he did . Thank you steve for the guts and contributions fo this planet and mankind. we should all take his lead when it comes to life as he saw it.

October 6, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. A.W.Messenger

Thanks CNN for posting this video.

October 6, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |