Gotta Watch: Remembering Steve Jobs
Apple's website remembers founder Steve Jobs with a dedication on their homepage mourning the loss of a "creative genius."
October 6th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Remembering Steve Jobs

Apple's visionary founder Steve Jobs passed away Wednesday at the age of 56 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Today we pay tribute to Jobs' legacy as we look back at some of the most memorable moments from his life.

Apple’s dedicated founder - In June 2011, Steve Jobs made one of his last public appearances at a Cupertino City Council meeting while presenting plans for a new Apple campus. Despite reports of being ill, Jobs brought his humor and vision and continued to show his dedication to the company he loved.

Jobs: Live each day like it's your last – In 2005, Steve Jobs spoke poignantly about his cancer diagnosis and confronting death. Here, Jobs discusses how being faced with his own mortality inspired him to make the most of his time on Earth.

The creative genius behind Apple - Steve Jobs was Apple's passionate pitchman. Over the years, Jobs was front and center for the unveiling of many of Apple's greatest inventions, most often wearing his classic uniform of blue jeans and a black turtle neck. Steve Jobs' enthusiasm and wit were evident every time he took the stage.

To see more on the life and legacy of Steve Jobs, look back at some of his most memorable moments , hear from those who were closest to him and take a look at the impact his creative spirit has had.

Share your thoughts and memories in the comments section below or at iReport.com.

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Gotta Watch • Most Popular • Obituary • Science • Steve Jobs • Technology • U.S. • Uncategorized
  1. concerned grandma

Rest in peace Steve.

October 7, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. ginofrater

He got a lot of JOBS for the Chinese people, all Apple products are made in CHINA, we need new JOBS here not in CHINA.

He was just another greed C.E.O !!

We do not won noting for this C.E.O of made in CHINA gadgets !!

R.I.P.Mr JOBS.

October 7, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. Usaid ur Rehman

I spell genius, innovator, life modifier, a person to envy as J O B S.
    Steve thank you very much for giving the world that they even never dreamed of, thank you very much for bringing such a huge change in our lives, thank you very much for bringing smiles on our faces, thank you very much to make us Z ur Rehman
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Sent from my iPad

October 7, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Usaid ur Rehman

I spell genius, innovator, life modifier, a person to envy as J O B S.
    Steve thank you very much for giving the world that they even never dreamed of, thank you very much for bringing such a huge change in our lives, thank you very much for bringing smiles on our faces, thank you very much to make us Believe that an apple a day can keep Dr Gates away.
    For Sure without you it is a Jobless world, but you have sgown us the way.
    Usaid ur Rehman
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Sent from my iPad

October 7, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Adam

Steve Jobs made an impact on mine and many others lives. His impact on my life was very small. I own an Ipod. But I hope that his passing will either ignite or reignited peoples' desire to donate to the Lustgarten Foundation. For those who don't know the Lustgarten Foundation accepts donations for Pancreatic Cancer Research. Pancreatic Cancer, to me, is one of the scariest diseases out there. With only a 5% five-year survival rate, it is one of the deadliest forms of cancer. The world has lost many famous people to this disease, but it has lost thousands upon thousands of our loved ones. In the economy we are living in today few of the means to donate, but just remember every little bit helps. Whether it be Pancreatic Cancer, Breast Cancer, Leukemia, etc., most people have felt the effect of cancer in their lives. May Steve Jobs and the countless more RIP. And for those of you out there still fighting, you are in my thoughts daily.

October 7, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Money

I seriously can't believe how terribly petty people are in this country. What does the amount of money that he made have anything to do with this story? In a time when everything gets outsourced to China, us American's cannot even be proud of a successful businessman right here in the United States? You people have issues. Stop being jealous and realize that he worked hard to get where he is. I am far from rich but doesn't mean I can't be happy for those that are.

October 7, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. steve

he is right no one wants to die i was in tears when he said that

October 7, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. krasen

He was a bit of a tyran in business and he wasnt a very good human being either. He refused to recognize his daughter for some years.

October 7, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. Anne

"Tom" – it would be interesting to know what you do for the poor – easy to criticize people....
    "Steve Jobs" – thank you for the Genius in you.......... we'll never forget you....

October 7, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • joeBG

Steve Jobs had over $20 billion in personal cash, Apple, as a corporation, had over $76 billion. If I had that kind of money I would be doing something beneficial with it. What did Jobs do? Nothing. Hoarded it for himself. That is selfish and irresponsible.

October 7, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

to JoeBG-
      No, he was investing it for future students. Socialists like you want to take all the money from the rich for doing nothing.
      Taking and demanding money from someone else simply by virute of existing on this planet is a pathetic way to live.
      Even streetwalkers understand this principal.

October 7, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Thinking7

I just read a comment criticizing Steve for not doing more for people in the way of donating his money. I don't know anything about his donations, but I do know his knowledge has benefited the world. What he did with his own money is none of our business. He earned it. I applaud him. He was and is an inspiration.

October 7, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • I, Kahn O'Clast

Steve Jobs was an anonymous donor to numerous charities.

October 7, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. Steve Jobs iPhone APP

Hey! Did you check out Steve Jobs Quotes and Trivia App for your iPhone??? Great app for remembering this great man!!!! :-)

October 7, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • joao miguel

great app!

October 7, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ken

Guys, as a Brit living and working in China I thought I might possibly find some respectful and intelligent commentry on the loss of Steve Jobs, but all I find is a bunch of narrow minded people abusing each other, and I have spent the past 10 minutes laughing at all your comments.

I am not an Apple Kisser (whatever that is), just a person who has seen what impact a creative mind can make on the world. Did he make a lot of money, yes of course he did and good for him, because he gave people what they wanted and they said thank you by buying it by the millions.

I don't see anyone being held down by the throat and forced to buy ipad, iphones and mac's in the Apple store in Shanghai, they save up and pay the same price as everyone else for a genuine life changing product that makes them feel good and happy.

Thats what Steve Jobs left us all.

October 7, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Anna

Well said!

October 7, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Erica

Well said, and thank you! Steve Jobs was a brilliant mind with a unique outlook on life. We could all benefit from his way of thinking.

October 7, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Mankind99

Thanks Ken. These haters do not represent the majority of Americans. They are simply small people with small minds, who feel that tearing down others will somehow ease the pain of their daily lives.

Have a great weekend.

October 7, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Marilyn Bates, MS, CCC-SLP

As I worked with my special needs students, most with autism, I thought a silent prayer of thanks for Steve Jobs. I frequently use the ipod and ipad for my nonverbal students. This device gives them a comparatively inexpensive way to speak. High interest educational apps keep my hard to motivate students working on grammar (a typically boring subject). Steve Jobs opened doors for my students that were previously closed.

October 7, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. William

Wow joeBG funny thing is you probably buy his products as well plus he was very private so none of us know if he made any donations. I would expect this though anyone nowadays that's successful gets bashed by everyone but hey you know funyn thing is that was probably a motivation for him to and anyone else you bash.

October 7, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. El Flaco

I think Jobs' biggest accomplishment was that he was the first one to produce computers that came in different colors.

October 7, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bill

You never hear anything about his being a very philanthropic person. He reportedly denied a request from Bill Gates to donate a small portion of his fortune to charity. Seems as if he hoarded all his billions and used none for philanthropic projects. He made himself the face of Apple, more of a cult figure that the brains behind it's success. Wonder if his wife will give any of it to useful projects or continue to keep it all? Be interesting to see how that plays out. Anyway, his family is set for life.

October 7, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • MomOf3

I've heard that he donated a lot of his money anonymously, and didn't want to take credit for what he did in that arena. It's really none of our business what he did/does with his money. He gave us a great legacy in giving us his mind and talent for technology...for that I am forever grateful!

RIP Steve Jobs, you will be missed...

October 7, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |