Gotta Watch: Remembering Steve Jobs
Apple's website remembers founder Steve Jobs with a dedication on their homepage mourning the loss of a "creative genius."
October 6th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Remembering Steve Jobs

Apple's visionary founder Steve Jobs passed away Wednesday at the age of 56 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Today we pay tribute to Jobs' legacy as we look back at some of the most memorable moments from his life.

Apple’s dedicated founder - In June 2011, Steve Jobs made one of his last public appearances at a Cupertino City Council meeting while presenting plans for a new Apple campus. Despite reports of being ill, Jobs brought his humor and vision and continued to show his dedication to the company he loved.

Jobs: Live each day like it's your last – In 2005, Steve Jobs spoke poignantly about his cancer diagnosis and confronting death. Here, Jobs discusses how being faced with his own mortality inspired him to make the most of his time on Earth.

The creative genius behind Apple - Steve Jobs was Apple's passionate pitchman. Over the years, Jobs was front and center for the unveiling of many of Apple's greatest inventions, most often wearing his classic uniform of blue jeans and a black turtle neck. Steve Jobs' enthusiasm and wit were evident every time he took the stage.

To see more on the life and legacy of Steve Jobs, look back at some of his most memorable moments , hear from those who were closest to him and take a look at the impact his creative spirit has had.

Share your thoughts and memories in the comments section below or at iReport.com.

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Gotta Watch • Most Popular • Obituary • Science • Steve Jobs • Technology • U.S. • Uncategorized
  1. @ElGordoTejano

One Vision, One Mission, One Man
    My passion for his vision started when i first purchased the ipod classic. From there it grew to the nano, shuffle, ipod touch, iphone, ipad, and finally an iMac. One vision, one mission. To make the lives of others easier. One man, one passion, One vision, One Steve Jobs. Thanks for sharing your vision, mentoring and inspiring so many all over the world, that it is possible to change the world for good.
    Steve Jobs
    He in some way shape or form touch almost all our lives. Even those that criticize him were touched in some way.
    "Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become" –Steve Jobs

October 7, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. John

bye bye Apple – Hello Droid.

October 7, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mariam

Kim Harrisson dit :J'ai bien aime9 relire ce iebllt.Je constate que malgre9 les moments difficiles j'ai appris e0 me connaeetre moi-meame ce qui m'a permis d'eatre la of9 je suis aujourd'hui.J'ai pris de l'expe9rience un peu partout, Vancouver, Que9bec, les voyages et dans plusieurs emplois, souvent bien diffe9rent les un des autres (e7a tu le sais de9je0). Je suis appere7u que la patience c'est payant mais quand il faut parfois faire un pas vers l'arrie8re. Souvent ce pas, va nous faire faire un saut extraordinaire vers l'avant.Comme tu le sais, je viens tout juste de faire ce saut qui me permettra de re9aliser tous mes reaves les plus fous !!!Aujourd'hui je n'ai aucun regret des expe9riences que j'ai acque9ris parce que cela m'a permis de de9couvrir l'emploi de mes reaves!! AGENTE DE BORD!!Dans la vie, il n'y a pas de proble8me, juste des solutions!

March 12, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. jimmyd

i'm not a big Mac fan for many reasons, but Steve Jobs was a great addition to our culture and a true genius. I will miss him. Truly great man.

October 7, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pepita

I just want to say again how disturbing that iTime time trvael story was. Though I must admit to some surprise that the President of the United States would be allowed to use one – I would think that with that level of technology, there would be a half dozen government agents with them who would take turns advising the President on events so to minimize aging issues (though he was secondary to this – I almost wonder if the "President greying" nod was suggesting the President already has access to this technology and this explains why they go grey so fast).I find it horrifying for two reasons: first, that it would so easily be abused with no safeguards on it to prevent multiple loops to relive the same four hours over and over again, and second, that the primary character saw her roommate grow old and die... and yet willingly decide to follow in her footsteps.(Imagine what it might do to a pregnant woman! She could end up giving birth within a few days rather than the months normally meant for this... and then the child would lose their mother as the mother continued to abuse the iTime.)No. To me, this is a horror story. And if they ever came out with an iTime story... I would refuse to take one, even if offered one for free. Because the temptation to abuse it would be far too great.Rob H.

March 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rogers

It never ceases to amaze me of the stupidity and lack of virtue of the socialists who wander the face of the globe. Steve Jobs was more than just a genus he was a visionary. A man who had the drive to take ideas and make them change the world. If you ever listened to some of the advice he gave, his concept of life and work does not fit the socialist. They are just too lazy to do anything but complain of how the affluent do not give up all of the fruits of their labor to those who deserve nothing. All they want is a free ride on the backs of those who work hard and are dedicated to constructive ideals. The concept of being modern Robin Hoods of stealing from the rich and giving to the poor is just a lame excuse for existence. I rather you not be sucking up my air to spew out your nonsense. In other words, GET a REAL LIFE and quit being a LEACH.

October 7, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. GGooden

I often find myself wondering these days if the Internet and its capacity for giving everyone a voice is actually moving society toward being more vapid, cruel and arrogant. It's threads like this that fuel my wonderment. SNL did a skit last Saturday about "comment haters" so art is imitating life. Rest in peace Steve. You don't have to watch the decline.

October 7, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. malyk01

Steve was a great guy and made life a little easier for extremely busy people. I hope he was close to God so he can truly enjoy the life after.

October 7, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. ouyangmingjie

Thank you for everything you have done for us. we never forget you .

October 7, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ouyangmingjie

Thank you for everything you have done for us. we'll never forget you.

October 7, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ouyangmingjie

Thank you for everything you have done for us . we'll never forget you.

October 7, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. cosmic_ant

I think that Jobs was a marketing Genius, but if the computer industry had followed the way of Steve 25 years ago with his Vertical computing ideology, we´d be in stone age.

October 7, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Slim latte

If Steve's job's spiritual senses are accurate, as I believe they are, we are in the stone age from a human-to-human being human values point of view. We have the greatest technology in history but where are we with our social health and well being?

October 8, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Aziz

Wow, that's a BIG question how best to get the USA back to work?Keying off your blog I bieleve the root of all business is customer value (no big surprise coming from me). The whole tech industry is a recent (last 25 years) example of new/improved customer value. Hundreds of thousands of jobs (my own included) have come out of this new value arena. Whole new product categories have been created.However, it's easy to think that government wasn't involved . If we think about the current internet guess where that started, DARPA government (not Al Gore.) Also, new/improved customer value requires customers who are at a point where they can benefit from the new value and purchase it. Governments that ensure orderly markets, a secure and educated population and good infrastructure greatly increase the ability for business growth and jobs. Fundamentally, job growth goes hand-in-hand with consumer demand growth. We are, for a lot of complex reasons way beyond my pay-grade struggling with a demand problem. Is government the main problem? I don't personally think so it's a contributor when it fails to provide the basic essentials for growth that I mentioned above.Which takes me then (rather circular I know) the law of unintended consequences applied my comments about the growth in the tech industry. We are now starting to see the consequences of pervasive technology enablement many jobs just aren't needed anymore. We've automated them out of existence. And off-shored many others. Oops.This is where it gets tricky: How do you grow demand through jobs. How do you grow jobs through demand. They are mutually reinforcing and mutually destructive. New value is the key to positive reinforcement of the cycle.I bieleve much of that new value is in small to medium sized businesses and in garages where Jobs, Hewlett & Packard, Gates and many others started. They're out there working on the Next Big Value Industry not sure I answered your question very well!!

March 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ICT for All Club, Kingdom of Thailand

On behalf of the Information and Communication Technology for All Club, please accept our very deepest sympathy on the passed away of Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs, October 5, 2011.
    We can well appreciate what a great loss this must be to your family, Apple Inc. and our World. Your dearest Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs was more than a great world's innovator;
    He has brought an ICT to people around the world.

Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs was a man who had "profoundly" changed the face of the modern world. We shall follow in his footsteps in promoting the use of computers and the internet to improve the quality of life of all people.

October 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. manjunath

god give less for good ones.

October 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. supertripper

I am a chinese boy,and in my opinion ,Steve Jobs changed the word.A lot of people are enjoying he brought convenient,RIP,MAN

October 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. pallavi

Steve is gone.And one day, we all will.
    All he continues to remind us Mortal beings, which we love to forget that any day is as beautiful day like today to die and death is the cure of all disease and we , how innocent, insist on curing ourselves against it (death).

Death will come and touch us, any day, you don't know, may be today.

So, live your life and follow your heart.May your heart be the driving force to your life and your mind be the rudder .

October 7, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. supertripper

I am a chinese student ,who can give me some advice about learning English,my E-mail supertripper@163.com
    Thank you very much!!!

October 7, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lawrence Lechtreck

Pick a topic you know well enough to write a book on it, in the language you want to learn. Read that book.
      I used the life of Albert Einstein, written in German.
      I did it and I passed the reading exam.

October 8, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |