October 6th, 2011

Obama: Jobs bill must pass to protect U.S. economy

President Barack Obama urged Congress to act on his jobs plan Thursday, saying it was needed to protect the United States from another economic downturn.

Economic problems in Europe could have a "very real effect" on the U.S. economy, Obama said at a White House news conference.

Any senator who is "thinking of voting" against the jobs bill next week "needs to explain" why he or she would oppose something that would help U.S. families and businesses, he added.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics
  1. fernace

We are more divided now than ever before & yet it seems we want the same things! Jobs, ability to work hard to achieve the American Dream, security concerning health care & education & keeping our tax paid necessity programs off the chopping block! OK, that last is a sticking point, but do we really want SS & MediCare in the private sector? We need the Jobs Act, we need to close taxloopholes & stop giving subsidies, we need to stop corperations from being able to call themselves "a person"! We need jobs for our own sake & for the economical recovery of the nation! Not many want to live on the dole, that's a false assumption!!

October 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. lil african children

If you were abused,philip,are you a h o m o t e x t u a l

October 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Concern about jobs

Obama can make all the jobs he wants, but minimum wage does not pay the bills.....

October 6, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

@Jerry G Martin:
    Why are you blaming Obama for the end of the Nasa shuttle program? GWB did that in 2004.

It seems to me that Obama greatest mistake was running too soon, and being too altruistic and naïve.
    He ran for POTUS after serving only two years in the Senate; he needed far more experience in dealing with the back-stabbing world of Congress.
    There were people who swore that *if* Obama were elected, they would work tirelessly to make sure he was a one-term President. One has to ask themselves this: why such discord from a man who has barely announced his candidacy before others set out to destroy him?
    After all, he hadn't even been declared a winner in the *primary* yet.
    Mr. President has been one of the truly nicest Presidents; therein lies the problem
    He's not weak, per se; he's just not as big of an ass hole as it apparently takes to govern the people. In other words, he feels the plight of the *people* instead of the call for the *dollar*.
    Yes, he's made mistakes...but the blame *has* to be shared by the people who swore from the day he announced his run that they would make sure he fails in all he does.
    The very people who keep making him jump through hoops are the ones deriding him when he stumbles; sick, pathetic, *cruel* game.

October 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • slider

You forgot that he is very polite. He bows to all the foreign leaders.

October 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

We are reading many points of view here. That indicates the complexity of our country's economic plight.
    Tax the rich? That would be fine if it would solve the problems, but it will not solve our problems.
    Just one problem we have is that many citizens are simple-minded enough to think that taking the money of the rich and giving to the poor would turn this dysfunctional society into a good one.
    That redistribution of wealth would be like giving all of a family's savings to the family drunk so he could eat.

October 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. @lil africa

Yes, I use both thumbs when texting. I was born that way. (and it's bad enuff... that we burn africa's oil and wear africa's diamonds on our obesity epidemic while they starve...w/o some little twit making a joke out of it. Even though I am your intended target...

October 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. @ lil african children

Irrelevant and wholly inappropriate.
    Shame on you.

October 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Good afternoon, JIF.
    I agree with you; if there were an easy answer to America's plight, it would already be in place...no matter what party the POTUS might belong to.

October 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@philip:
    Yes, "we burn Africa’s oil and wear Africa’s diamonds on our obesity epidemic while they starve"
    No debate necessary, because I agree.
    Now, what should be done about it?

Bear in mind that I'm not going to give away my antique engagement ring that has been passed down through generations on my husband's side, nor am I going to give up the diamond engagement ring that he gave me for everyday wear.
    They're not DeBeer diamonds anyway.

October 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    Tnank you for your support.
    As for me and mine, we're going to a "support Obama" (re jobs) rally in Harlem on Sunday, October 9.
    We think it's important for some white, Republican faces to show up to support the President's best efforts.
    I'm leaving for work again soon: I came home to eat and rest, but I have a rehearsal tonight, so I won't be around.
    I'm tired.
    At least I have work.

October 6, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nothing can be done about it.

Most people do not even realize "it" exists. Trying to get Americans to do anything is like trying to kick a dead horse anyway. The only thing that seems to rally Americans is what rallies gazelles when lions are stalking: fear. They all clamor for the middle of the herd not because they are patriotic gazelles, but because they are scared gazelles. I guess all that can be done is to not talk about it anymore. It's kept our glass half-full so far.

October 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@JIF:
    Let us know, please.
    My best to your wife.

@Nothing can be done about it.

Yep. As I figured.
    Just a way to trash Americans, I guess.
    Well done.

October 6, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

My glass is still full to overflowing.
    Life is good.

October 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    I'm a fan of old-cut diamonds. You're fortunate to have that.
    They handle light with very beautiful dispersion.

October 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fat Elephant with tiny donkey head. (talking to itself)

"It's your fat ass that's the problem" Oh yeah? Well half of that ass is yours same as it always was. Vote Donkey! "No! Vote Elephant. We can stomp the sh!t out of all of 'em. That Donkey can't protect you!" Wull, are guy got OBL but dey did terk are jarbs so...

October 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |