October 6th, 2011

Obama: Jobs bill must pass to protect U.S. economy

President Barack Obama urged Congress to act on his jobs plan Thursday, saying it was needed to protect the United States from another economic downturn.

Economic problems in Europe could have a "very real effect" on the U.S. economy, Obama said at a White House news conference.

Any senator who is "thinking of voting" against the jobs bill next week "needs to explain" why he or she would oppose something that would help U.S. families and businesses, he added.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics
  1. America's glass

Not your personal cup that runneth over. Big picture banasy. Big picture. That old strain the gnat gulp the camel thingy.

October 6, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@JIF:
    I have several really beautiful antique rings; I have a beautiful 1 1/2 carat round solitaire emerald engagement ring set in platinum that's stunning. I wear it on my white gold/platinum days.

@America's glass:
    Just making a general statement to this blog that there is *one* happy American here.
    Although I'm aware of many things, b!tching and moaning about things that can't be changed interferes with my zen time.

October 6, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. fernace

@ banasy 5:26, @ JIF 5:29, I so agree with these posts of y'alls! Well said to you both & you're right that Repubs & Demos need to work with & support eachother JIF! Kudos to you & yours! I'd also like to point out that there are always gonna be disagreeable things happening in this country & the world! We aren't perfect & can't expect our society to be, but we can STRIVE for better! That has put us where we are now, in a quicker, more streamlined, more socially conscious world! I back the underdog & believe most of us are decent humans! Even though I'm struggling right now, I consider myself very lucky in many ways & my glass is definitely half-full! It would be nice to see congress working together for the betterment of the country, but not holding my breath! PS. Never let any1 (named Philip) make you feel guilty about a beautiful heirloom diamond ring or even the everyday 1! He needs therapy & meds which I've told him for a month now! Just relying on religion ain't cutting it in his case!!

October 6, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. fernace

That last was for banasy, of course!!

October 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. slider

The President's Job's Bill: $450,000,000,000.00 to create 1,200,000 jobs equals costing $350,000.00 per job without factoring in the administrative costs.

October 6, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • slider

Oh excuse me $375,000.00 per job.

October 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@slider:

And the leaders bow to him.
    It's called diplomacy.
    Protocol, you know.
    Like no-one touches the Queen...

October 6, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@furnace:
    Thanks!
    Nobody on this earth can make me feel guilty about anything if I'm guiltless.
    It's futile to try.

October 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi, fernace.
    Thanks...I've always been a loud-mouthed activist. You've seen me do that on here for causes that caught my attention.
    I remember when Republicans and Democrats were much closer ideologically. More common-sense centrist. This new House has nothing–Nothing–to do with Republicans of my youth–they've all gone crazy, the nice elephants.
    I'm so tired, I'm practically in a state of fugue.
    I'll get to the gym in the morning.
    Night, fernace.
    Night, banasy.

October 6, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. moncler kids vest

October 7, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Salomonr8

Why do you believe passing this job bill would work? President Obama says that if the Job Bill is not passed, it could put the U.S. in another recession. I believe that this job bill is just another word for STIMULUS and do you remember what happended with his last stimulus and what he said? Last time he said, we needed the stimulus bill passed to avoid recession, which still happened. President Obama is the most inexperienced President that the U.S. has ever had and I hope the people of this great country will let him know that by making Obama a one-term President.

October 8, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Philip:
    Please explain to me your assertion that the Nazis founded DeBeer's when it was founded in 1888 by Cecil Rhodes.

October 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amazon Woman

banasy – I thought you knew everything.

October 10, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. calvin fischl

If the American people are really interested in creating jobs in America all they have to do is stop buying products not made in the USA. If companies start losing money because people refuse to buy thier products they would be forced to make them in the USA. Foreign countries call this protectionism, I call it bring the jobs back to america.

October 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Poboy32

For the support for American people I believe if we had one system of government jobs wouldn't be no problem to much seperate issues is auto upsets for any body in America

October 10, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. ggcanada

china did not send jobs to china americans did

October 12, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. al leong / nyc / toronto

john. a big hurdle in economics is that the market is not clearing excess labour caused by the minimum wage laws (this artificial floor in economic terms enables chinese firms to outcompete in labour costs). by removing this floor (min. wage). businesses would be able to compete against chinese and mexican firms. labour mobility would enable US and mexican workers to fill the void, increase tax revenue and balance the budget. the issue is political... will CAW allow this? if their membership increases they have more money in their pockets, more membership and a stratified labour union (at all wage levels) so it should also be good for unions. instead of looking at currency pegs, which is artificial at best (Canadian dollar reaching parity because of exports of a 32 MM population vs 350 MM US population seems odd), working directly at jobs vs currency seems a better approach to productivity and utility (non-economic externalities/metrics vs a simple Balance of Payments (BoP) accounting) of success/leadership in the world.

October 13, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. vodknockers

Hey 0bama...even your own party won't vote for your stupid bill. They see that it is nothing other than another stimulus spending bill that won't work. Harry Reid voted against it...duh. Just keep blaming Repubs...that's all you have left...blamer-in-chief. Pathetic.

October 14, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |