October 12th, 2011

Clinton: 'Iran must be held accountable'

Editor's note:  The U.S. Justice Department says the FBI and the DEA have disrupted a plot involving Iran to kill the Saudi ambassador to the United States and commit other attacks. Two men one arrested, the other at large have been charged in connection with the alleged plot, which the Justice Department says was directed by elements of the Iranian government.

The Justice Department says one of the men Manssor Arbabsiar, a naturalized U.S. citizen holding an Iranian passport arranged to hire for the assassination someone in Mexico who he thought was an associate of a drug trafficking cartel. The person in Mexico actually was a DEA confidential source who was posing as a cartel associate, the Justice Department says.

Here are the latest developments in the story on Wednesday:

[Posted at 12:29 p.m. ET] Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Wednesday that the alleged attempted assassination of Saudi Arabia's U.S. ambassador by Iranian operatives is the "kind of reckless act" which "undermines international norms and the international system."

"Iran must be held accountable," Clinton said.

Clinton said the U.S. government will continue to work to isolate the Iranian regime.

[Posted at 11:48 a.m. ET] Mahan Air, an Iranian commercial airline, has been sanctioned by the United States for its ties to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Quds Force, the Treasury Department said on Wednesday.

[Posted at 7:27 a.m. ET]  Saudi Prince Turki al-Faisal said he believes "someone in Iran is going to have to pay the price" for the alleged plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States.

Al-Faisal, a key member of the royal family, was speaking at conference in London Wednesday. Al-Faisal's representatives said the remark was his personal view and not the official Saudi position.

Post by:
Filed under: Iran • Saudi Arabia • Terrorism • U.S.
  1. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

The foil hats still believe this is a CIA/ Mossad plot, despite the Saudi reaction. Uh, OK, dorks....

October 12, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cedar Rapids

Well to be fair it does not mean that the Saudi's were in on it if it was a CIA plot.

I am not saying I think it was a plot but its like when FDR was fooled by British operatives into thinking the nazis wanted to take over South America by handing over a fake map that supposedly laid out this plan.

October 12, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SaulQuinn

Dear Saudi Government,

If you want to pay anyone how about helping the good old United States pay off its National Debt by buying bonds.

October 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dano

Bonds are debt too, genius.

October 12, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • latuya

I love the rediculus comments that people make on here. IQ's levels should be demanded when voting and posting on blogs

October 12, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Show me yours and I'll show you mine

As "rediculus" as your spelling I would say, genius.

October 12, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Randy

Some Tomahawk Cruise Missiles into Tehran would be a good start and then have Israel assasinate President Pump a Wad

October 12, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Brownstain

Free saudi women.
    Who is going to pay for centuries of gender genocide in "the KINGdom"?

October 12, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Show me yours and I'll show you mine

You, that's who.

October 12, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Show me yours and I'll show you mine

Tell you what Saudi Arabia, you pay off our deficit and we'll blow up Iran for you. Deal?

October 12, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • warex

Kudos! Listen up Saudi, this is a good offer. Your problem solved, our problem solved....

October 12, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • ErmchairQB

No complaints if they threw us a petro discount either.

October 12, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. warex

One zombie dropped in the anywhere middle east will solve every ones problems. Zombie Apocalypse middle eastern style....

October 12, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. warex

What does Middle east zombies and marines have in common? Free oil.

October 12, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. american63

Its a political ploy, guys & gals. Anything for the "votes!" You're all assuming this 'threat' actually occurred on our soil!

October 12, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Show me yours and I'll show you mine

President Obama doesn't need a political plot to win against the array of idiots you Teapublicans have put forth.

October 12, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kenny

I think Rep. Peter King should be called into the US Army and deployed to Iran to take out the country. We should secretly deploy him without the knowledge of the media with at least 10 clips of blank ammo and a massive bull horn so he can shoot off his big mouth over there.

October 12, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. cardo

No need to worry, guys!! The Greatest President in American History is on the Job. I'm sure that he will get this all under control as soon as CONGRESS PASSES THAT JOBS BILL!!
    OH, I forgot, – he also needs to get a new gun-smuggling operation to Mexican Cartels going first!
    Oh! Silly me!! I also forgot that he just found a new solar panel company that he needs to get $500 million streamlined to for one of his billionaire banker friends.
    OH! just call me a DORK. I forgot that he is trying to change Irans' mind about getting NUKES! He is going to loosen up the restrictions and santions that the rest of us fools put in place that are causing all of this terrible hate toward us SOFT HEADED AMERICANS..

October 12, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Show me yours and I'll show you mine

DORK

October 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. That Guy

USA at it again with the "Hey,look over there" routine.Get people to focus on something else besides Occupy Wall street. Sure the guy captured is bad but innocent of this plot.Jus my opinion.

October 12, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ErmchairQB

Hahaha! Because occupy wallstreet was really gripping the nation?

October 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Thank you, That Guy. I was about to post the exact same thing here myself!

October 12, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. american63

I love it! Cardo, that was magmificent. You rock.

October 12, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Show me yours and I'll show you mine

No, he really doesn't.

October 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. George Patton

Now these cursed Saudis want us to fight their war for them, I presume, especially when this plot was most likely trumped up by them in collaboration with the West in the first place! This is getting more revolting by the day!!!

October 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. michaelfury

"Admiral Cosgriff’s caution was well founded: within a week, the Pentagon acknowledged that it could not positively identify the Iranian boats as the source of the ominous radio transmission, and press reports suggested that it had instead come from a prankster long known for sending fake messages in the region. Nonetheless, Cosgriff’s demeanor angered Cheney, according to the former senior intelligence official. But a lesson was learned in the incident: The public had supported the idea of retaliation, and was even asking why the U.S. didn’t do more. The former official said that, a few weeks later, a meeting took place in the Vice-President’s office. 'The subject was how to create a casus belli between Tehran and Washington,' he said."

October 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. MFC

How USA will feed its army comming out from Iraq...now its Iran. Poor bankrupt USA can't feed its own army !!!!!

October 12, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Show me yours and I'll show you mine

MFC? What is that? Mohammed Fried Chicken?

October 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |