(Correction: An initial version of this post incorrectly reported that charges in this case were dropped, when in fact they were never filed.)
[Updated at 11:15 a.m. ET] After investigating a complaint filed against former IMF head Dominique Strauss-Kahn, in which a journalist accused him of attempting to rape her in 2003, French prosecutors said there was a lack of sufficient evidence to file charges.
Strauss-Kahn admitted to "sexual aggression" against Tristane Banon at the time, but a three-year statue of limitations applies in the case, the Paris prosecutor's office said in a statement.
Strauss-Kahn, who recently returned to France after sexual assault charges against him in New York were dropped by prosecutors, was questioned by Paris police last month, along with Banon.
Banon filed a complaint against Strauss-Kahn in France, alleging he attempted to sexually assault her in 2003; he has filed a counter-suit alleging slander.
Banon's mother, Socialist politician Anne Mansouret, has said she discouraged Banon from filing charges against Strauss-Kahn at the time of the alleged assault for fear it would hurt her journalism career.
In an interview with French TV station TF1 earlier this month, Strauss-Kahn said he met with Banon recently and "I said the truth to her in this meeting. There was no act of aggression, there was no violence. ... The version that was presented was imaginary."
On Monday, lawyers for Strauss-Kahn asked a judge in New York to dismiss a civil suit filed there by his accuser in a now-dismissed sexual assault case.FULL STORY