Overheard on CNN.com: A few good people can combat evil
Police carry away chains that were used to imprison handicapped people in the basement of a Philadelphia apartment building.
October 17th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: A few good people can combat evil

Comments of the Day:

"The landlord and the block captain are heroes and should be awarded." - CWhatsNew

"The block captain notified the landlord, who checked on the situation not once, but twice. There will always be bad people. We are OK in this country as long as there are more good people." – PatSJ

Landlord finds mentally disabled people locked in basement; 3 arrested

A landlord alerted by a neighborhood block captain found four mentally handicapped people locked in the basement of his apartment building in Philadelphia. Three people have been arrested and accused of detaining them and stealing their Social Security checks.

CNN.com readers applauded the block captain, Danyell Tisdale, and landlord, Turgut Gozleveli, for their good citizenship and wondered how to stop evil from happening. maxhedroom said, "Thankfully someone saw something odd and did something about it." Ulaa said, "The important thing is SOMEBODY gave a damn."

khill9702 said, "That is a rather vigilant block captain. Actually gives meaning to an unofficial and voluntary labor of love for some people, being a block captain. Who knows how long they would have been down there if she didn't call the building owner to come inspect his property."

Ohio1970 said, "To Ms Tisdale: You definitely did the right thing. You saved four lives today! And to the landlord: Thank you for taking her concerns seriously. You, too, helped save their lives. As the parent of a developmentally disabled adult this story made me weep. The system has failed these four individuals. There is no excuse."

inc0gnit0 said, "This is terrible. On the other hand, no more terrible than the homeless mentally ill wandering the streets, discarded by society. Of course, unlike the three suspects, society as a whole can't be prosecuted."

Eliz1108 said, "As any human, I find this disturbing. As a mother of a young child that is developmentally disabled, this frightens me. My daughter will someday become an adult and eventually outlive me. Although I have the ability to prepare for her future as best I possibly can while living, there is no doubt that one day the responsibility for her wellbeing and care will rest on someone else. I hope and pray that more will take a stand and advocate for the special needs community.

nathan5871 said, "What the hell is the matter with this world? This bizarre behavior is becoming more and more frequent in the news these days."

JeanVSeatte said, "There are good people in the world, dear heart. That's why everyone is so shocked and horrified when something like this comes to light - it disgusts us. Don't worry, most of us are good most of the time."

TimSims said, "It's a perfect example of how normal people can help prevent evil, simply by being concerned about their neighborhood and their neighbors. Rather than focus on the evil, why not focus on the good? Be like this block captain and the landlord who took her seriously enough to look into the situation repeatedly."

1. banasy©

I cannot win.
    *Facepalm*™

October 17, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. nancyhouse

It is a brilliant study with luck, Have to disclose you are among the best people We at any time found. With thanks to get ad this short article.lately, replica zenith is very hot,I don't know what do you think about it ?let us have a exchange here!

October 17, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. raven

Night Night ,Jazzzz.

October 17, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. banasy©

Ikm not gone yet, sista.
    I must like torturing myself.

October 17, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

yea, I was looking for what it means but couldn't find it and gave up
    ok, but I'm gone anyhow
    Bye

October 17, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. raven

Me too about JIF!! Took me a while. And bimbothebirthdayclown, I know right ?? Look what can happen! sigh ..

October 17, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. banasy©

Ah, it'll be all right.
    You bruched and flossed, after all.
    I've known BtBC for a while, through several incarnations.
    (I'll never tell, tho!). ;)

October 17, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. banasy©

Spell much, Donna? Brushed!

October 18, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Mad Ole Lady

Well night to all. Don't understand the Jazzzzzz thing but anyway that's for the best.

October 18, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Mad Ole Lady

I think these tolls hijack names and then peeps get confused on the he said she said bull and the trolls laugh at the blog fights. Trolls bully on here cause they get bullied at school.

October 18, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. raven

I hope so. Even if there are personality conflicts, Id feel bad if I drove someone off . Ill say Im sorry. sincerely. And leave it at that.night everyone!

October 18, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. chrissy

lol i just knew i would still find you here my sista from anutha mutha and raven too. im still chucklin over joey....who knew huh? and mad old lady its really not a mystery, no one would hijack her name thats just her weak attempt at a defense lol

October 18, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. raven

Hey chrissy. I didnt catch on that it was JIF for a loonngg time! How are you ?

October 18, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. michaelfury

More than a few need to do it.

October 18, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. OcHa Yosh

rEnters using low credit score ... You'll locate amount of future property owners who may have ... Local Durham has two of the cheapest marketplace towns to exist in great britain ;... How to Report a Landlord

January 12, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse | Reply