October 26th, 2011

1 dead, 5 hurt in Philippine blast

[Updated at 2:12 p.m. ET] One person was killed and at least five others wounded in a bomb blast late Wednesday while two more improvised explosives were detonated in a village near the southern Philippine port city of Zamboanga, officials said.

Senior Superintendent Edwin de Ocampo, chief of the local police force, said two bombs planted at a lottery outlet and at another site about 100 meters away were discovered. Police were in the process of detonating two of the bombs when the third device went off hitting a roadside eatery in the village of Sangali at around 9:15 p.m., about 30 kilometers east of downtown Zamboanga.

De Ocampo said the three improvised explosives were planted almost 100 meters apart from each other. He said the fatality, a civilian, was killed when he tinkered with the third improvised bomb as policemen were detonating the two other explosives.

"The civilian was killed on the spot by the powerful blast," he said.

Police had initially said two people had died in the blast but later revised the total to one dead.

[Posted at 12:37 a.m. ET] Two people were killed and at least five others wounded in a bomb blast late Wednesday in the southern Philippine port city of Zamboanga, officials said.

Two more improvised explosives were detonated nearby, officials said.

FULL STORY
  1. banasy©

What is the point of *these* bombs?
    What is going *on* these days that people just want to blow up other people?

October 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat2u

I don't know what's wrong with people anymore, banasy. The really crazy thing is that these idiots take up a cause and kill people who have nothing to do with that cause. I still haven't figured that one out.

October 26, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. raven

And why the hell was a civilian (and i quote )tinkering with a freakin BOMB ??

October 26, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. raven

You tinker with things like model airplanes or broken tvs, not bombs .

October 26, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat2u

Hell, just give me a thermal nuclear device and I'll take care of all this crap.

October 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

Lol bobcat2u, with a rusty pair of tinsnips ?

October 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. raven

Oh nevermind, i misread.. thought you were sayin you were gonna tinker with one but i think i missed the mark.

October 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

A little background, this is a few hours drive south of where my in-laws are. It is in an area that Abu Sayyef, an al-Qaeda affiliated group, is claiming as Islamic territory. These attacks are common in Zamboanga City, as well as some other areas on Mindanao and the neighbouring islands, but thankfully not ZDN, where the relatives are.

October 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Hi, Bimbo.
    Thanks for the clarification; I had no idea that there were factions of Al Quaeda, although I shouldn't be surperised.
    I have never heard of bombings in the Phillipines before.

October 26, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

hi bimbo, and wow. thank you for sharing that. AS is a nasty,brutal group. i hope your in-laws stay safe.

October 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

I'm told that as long as they stay out of the hills, they'll be fine. (Sounds like a cheap horror film, doesn't it). But they've done other things, kidnappings from resorts, blowing up power stations, etc.

It occurs to me I never answered you on the Tool thing. Yes, that song is demented, but so are a lot of them. The worst is the "daylight, you woke up in your ditch..." story at the end of Undertow.

October 26, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. raven

Hey MS! hows e.l.t.? And like I said AS are a nasty group. They were known for kidnapping and brutalising their captives, sometimes murdering those who were weak. It seems theyve graduated to mass murder for its own sake. disgusting .

October 26, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

I cannot believe what people will stoop to in the name of religion.
    It mystifies me completley.
    I cannot believe that any sort of loving being would ever smile down upon this behavior.
    (And no, I do *not* want edification from somebody; it will not change my mind about brutality in the name of God.)

October 26, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. alecia

I hope no one was hurt. Bombs is dangerous.

October 26, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. raven

Yeah, they are pretty wierd .. Undertows great but Opiates still my favorite. you ever checked out the SLEEVE to it ??

October 26, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Indeed. Adam Jones is also a graphic artist, and I guess the driving force behind a lot of the visual and conceptual work. He and Maynard are a weird pair.

October 26, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. RUFFNUTT (kcmo resident and smoker of fine purple kush)

:"""He said the fatality, a civilian, was killed when he tinkered with the third improvised bomb """
    . what's this red wire do????

October 26, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |