October 30th, 2011

Aid workers kidnapped in Somalia are alive and well

Two foreign aid workers kidnapped last week in Somalia are alive and well, a Danish aid group said Sunday.

Jessica Buchanan, 32, and Poul Hagen Thisted, 60, were abducted by gunmen Tuesday after visiting humanitarian projects in the northern Galkayo area, the Danish Refugee Council said.

"I have been told that contact was established today, and I am pleased to announce that both Poul and Jessica are doing well given the circumstances," said Ann Mary Olsen, head of the council's international department.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Somalia
  1. layminister herman

Thank god . These people leave their homes In a effort to help these people,and what thanks do they get to be kidnapped.The land and most of the people of somalia seems to be satans playground!!!

October 30, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mmmmm

probally tired of the bagged rice and wanted the aid workers to fix them a home cook meal.

October 30, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. THE ONE AND ONLY DRAKOREX1

WOW AMAZING ,FACT FILLED, UNBELIEVABLE DETAILS. THAT HAD ME ON THE EDGE OF MY CHAIR.I JUST CANT IMAGINE, WHAT A HEART WARMING STORY.I CANT WAIT TO TELL MY FRIENDS ,THANKS CNN!

October 31, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. my jj tweet

im going fishing !!!!

October 31, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. gung hoe

@my jj tweet where? when? And for what?

October 31, 2011 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

I am relieved that they are alive; they were, after all, just trying to help.

October 31, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

Lol,@ DRAKOREX, you forgot,"Scintillating commentary!"Hilarious, never theless! Glad they are alive & I'm pretty certain they are aware of the risks going into a situation like this! I have a friend in the Peace Corp who is helping on the continent of Africa, right now & wish her well! It's scary for the loved 1s of these brave souls, but when the Corp called, my friend was excited! It was her lifes dream! Her dream in life is to make an immediate, if minute, difference, that can, in the scheme of things, be the difference of life & death! I'm glad to know, in the midst of chaos & suffering, people who care are there! The article is a bit spare in details, but since it's Somalia I'm thinking al-Shabaab has them! Whatever, we have to bargain for their release!!

October 31, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. justathought

Are these hostages up for ransom yet? Otherwise, what is the purpose? This may seem heartless, but once a country submits to demands, it sets up a schem for all perpettrators.

October 31, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@justathought:

Hi.
    I have thought the same thing...unless it was for the supplies; but even then, why kidnap them?
    Why not just steal the supplies?
    Unless it's like Mmmmm says, and they just want a better meal...
    I haven't heard anything about a ransom.

October 31, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |