Cardinals' La Russa retiring
October 31st, 2011

Cardinals' La Russa retiring

Tony La Russa, the manager of the St. Louis Cardinals, announced Monday he is retiring after 33 seasons as a manager in professional baseball. The Cardinals capped an improbable comeback last week by defeating the Texas Rangers to win the World Series.

"It's just time to do something else," he told reporters at Busch Stadium. "I know if I came back, I'd come back for the wrong reasons, and I couldn't do that."

La Russa, 67, ranks third in baseball history in managerial victories with 2,728, behind Connie Mack (3,731) and John McGraw (2,763). He is the only manager in Major League Baseball history to win multiple pennants in both leagues and the second to win a World Series title in each.

After 16 years as manager of the Cardinals, he broke the news to the team Sunday night in the weight room. "I was encouraged that some grown men cried," he said. "I kinda liked that because they made me cry a few times."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Missouri • Sports
  1. chrissy

well he had a good long run and its time for him to enjoy his golden years! and what better time then after the biggest win. cant say i blame him one bit.

October 31, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. banasy©

NOOOOOOOO!
    I love me some LaRussa.
    Chrissy's right; go out with a bang.
    He's had a fabulous run.

October 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. gung hoe

He wont be out long prob back with braves

October 31, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ethieb08

LaRussa was an awesome man of baseball but I am glad to see him go out on top and manage a team that made an improbable come back in game 6. If LaRussa will want to come back to baseball, I'm sure there would be a team willing to have them manage their team.

November 1, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. noemi

I would like to thank Mr. LaRussa for the great baseball I've seen since moving here.he well be missed cause he was loved here.Its been a great run good luck with what life well bring to u and your family .

November 1, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Uniblob

Boy, you could not write a better ending to a brilliant career. Best of luck to him.

November 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply