October 31st, 2011

Quake hits northwestern China

A magnitude 6.0 earthquake rattled northwestern China on Tuesday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake struck at 8:21 a.m. (8:21 p.m. Monday ET), according to the USGS. It was centered in northern Xinjiang province at a depth of nearly 17 miles below the surface, the agency reported.

The epicenter was 96 km from the city of Yining and about 130 km from China's border with Kazakhstan, the USGS said. There was no immediate report of damage or injuries.

Post by:
Filed under: China • Earthquake
  1. chrissy

tuesday morning???

October 31, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cindi

Yes, Tuesday morning, Chrissy. It's later in China than it is here. Check the time zones.

October 31, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

well sorrry sheesh

October 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

what im really wondering is why this isnt bigger news that herman cain? china is a very populated country.

October 31, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. raven

Hi chrissy !how are you ??been workin a lot lately so cant come here as often as usual (at work now,in fact ) i hope youre well and ill get in touch with you when Ive got more time k ?promise .

October 31, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

hey raven good 2 cya girl even briefly. and im feelin much better ty. but u be careful i used to be a workaholic too and it takes a big toll on you.

October 31, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Hey, Hemorrhoidal-mike! I like airheads too! especially the blue bubblegum flavor! it dyes your tongue a real skyblue color...airheads! mmmm-mmmm good!

November 1, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. s kel

hey raven, chrissys right, thats one reason why my wife is sick now, shes constantly working or school, now ....shes sick her immune system got weak and finally her work sent her home much early today.

October 31, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

aww s kel i sure hope shes feelin better real soon. i do know a lil about bein wore down im finally starting to shake this cold ive had over a 6 weeks. i sure dont wish that on her.

October 31, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Raggedy Ann

Those darn Chinese, always making a raucous!
    I'm sure I grabbed your attention with that statement didn't I ?
    Well anyone who knows me, such as my 8 grandchildren will say "that's grandma for ya".
    I do hope those poor souls don't have to go through what Ja pan went through.
    Sending my prayers up now.
    🙂

October 31, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. justathought

Oops Cindi, I don't want to embarrass you, but I'm sure you meant it's earlier in China than here.

November 1, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. Gold Dragon (evolved dragonex)

Hello to all.
    These quakes are coming more frequent all over the world. Think mother nature is shaking things up. Yes chrissy China is highly populated. Hope no one is seriously hurt.

November 1, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. Imglad

How much US aid for China this time around?

November 1, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mmmmm

Oh what happen? I'm no longer blue? Has the witching hour of Halloween has taken it's toll? Lol.
    So China's another place for a great milkshake! I had a great
    milkshake Monday not Tuesday...a peppermint chocolate chips
    milkshake! Peach milkshakes are good too!

November 1, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. mike H

Airheads...all of you...

November 1, 2011 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Hey, Hemorrhoidal-mike! I like airheads especially the blue bubblegum flavor! it dyes your tongue a real skyblue color...airheads! mmmm-mmmm good!

November 1, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. Cindi

Didn't mean it as a putdown, Chrissy, just pointing it out.

justathought: no, I didn't mean that at all. It's later in China. They are hours ahead of the US.

November 1, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |