October 31st, 2011

Quake hits northwestern China

A magnitude 6.0 earthquake rattled northwestern China on Tuesday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake struck at 8:21 a.m. (8:21 p.m. Monday ET), according to the USGS. It was centered in northern Xinjiang province at a depth of nearly 17 miles below the surface, the agency reported.

The epicenter was 96 km from the city of Yining and about 130 km from China's border with Kazakhstan, the USGS said. There was no immediate report of damage or injuries.

Post by:
Filed under: China • Earthquake
  1. ART

@ MiMi All are free to speak their mind! get a life!

November 1, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

A parent has every way of knowing if their BS leader is a molester or not by thoroughly knowing who the leader is.
    For instance. My son's father was his leader.
    My next-door neighbor was also a leader for his son's troop, many years later.
    If a parent isn't interested in knowing who their child goes off with, or is blindly trusting, shame on them.
    However, painting every male on the face of the earth as a potential molester is the same as painting every female on earth as the second BVM.
    Possible, but not likely.
    Make it your business to know, parents.
    That, and listen to your children.

November 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. U U

When someone posts news from newspapers and magazines quoting sources, if it’s not what you want to hear you get angry. (anger is expressed hurt)

So when u going to start giving sources? Anger is anger, bud, as in u p1ssed me off, not u hurt me. Jeez.

November 1, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    Good evening.
    We don't have to agree on everything.
    If one of my two sons, or my daughter, had been gay, I would have encouraged them to be themselves and to be careful. I would never have told them that what they were was wrong.
    They all happen to be straight, although they grew up surrounded by many gay friends of ours.
    I work in the arts, but perhaps that is not the reason that we have gay friends, since some of them are engineers and medical doctors. One older gay friend was a research scientist whose work in immunology is immortal.
    I wish that I could see your finding more joy in your life. I believe that this IS your life: not a rehearsal.
    You know that I cannot agree with any of your positions on morality if they are based on the Bible.

November 1, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    If it has been possible for me to recover from being severely battered physically and emotionally as a child, it is possible for you to do the same work, unless there is a physical reason that you cannot.
    To recover, one must accept the possibility of recovery, and the responsibility to himself.

November 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

wow i applaud u philip and mary! u FINALLY got your very own blog site! roflmao have a teariffic time talking to yourselves about everything BUT the topic! Kinda, oh heck not even kinda IT IS freakin two faced but chat away! TOOTLES! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

November 1, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Uncle Ray

Phillip I though I told you put on a clean dress we got company comin, and you look like a rag doll

November 1, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. pmk1953

Song by Napolean XIV: I'm happy I live in a split-level head. I think it applies.

November 1, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Phillip:
    You didn't respond to what I wrote.
    Please note that I was in no way sarcastic in my tone, and I merely expressed my point of view about the issues being discussed here.

November 1, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

@Joey...(these are serious newsblogs, not internet chatrooms. If I delay in responding, it is because I lead a very busy life. The nice thing about blogs is they stay-up for days, and so there is no hurry)

I was hoping that you would respond to this:

One hormone that these chemicals mimic is the female seyzx hormone estrogen. A study published
    in the medical journal Pediatrics suggests that an increased prevalence of early puberty among
    many girls could be linked to estrogen-containing hair products as well as environmental
    chemicals that mimic estrogen.

Exposing a male to certain chemicals at a critical time in his development can have adverse
    effects. "Experiments have shown," says a report in Discover magazine, "that PCBs applied at
    just the right time during development can change male turtles and alligators into females or
    'interseyzx' individuals."

We were having a discussion on orientations, and what part they might play in men whom stalk and raype boys exclusive of girls. Me? I do not believe that there is such a thing as a full recovery. We remain imperfect, no matter what. Even Albert Einstein only lived long enough to use but a small percentage of his brain's huge capacity, he grew old and died long before he could use it all. My point is, that struggling to fully recover beats taking mind-dulling pharmaceuticals hands down.

I notice that you mentioned you would never agree with the bible's view of immorality. Have you erased your dictionary's definistion as well?

November 1, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

These are blogs.
    Period.
    Not serious, not trivial, just blogs.
    Repeating something doesn't make it true.

November 1, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

JIF said morality, not immorality.
    Two completely different things.

November 1, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

Joey and Banasy© are two different *things* as well. Immorality is what happens when morality is lacking. (duh)

November 1, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Well, of course it is. It was just a question. If one quotes another, it pays to be as accurate as possible, don't you think, philip?

November 1, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

And Joey and banasy©
    Aren't *things*, dear, and I think JIF would agree.

November 1, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |