A South Sudan rebel group warned the United Nations and residents to leave a remote border state within three days or risk coming under fire as it launches an attack on the local government.
The South Sudan Liberation Army said Saturday it was headed to Warrap state after an earlier attack on Mayom town in neighboring Unity state.
Both states are in South Sudan, near the border with Sudan.
The goal is to "liberate" the state from the government in Juba, the group said in a statement.
"Within few days, the people of Warrap will be liberated from abject poverty, corruption and abuse of human rights," the militia said. "We would also advise the civilians to evacuate all towns and move to villages in order to be safe," it said.
The warning follows an attack in oil-rich Unity state that killed 39 people, a South Sudan government spokesman said Saturday.
Liberation army militias carried out the attacks against civilians, spokesman Yein Matthew said.FULL STORY
Palestinian Islamic Jihad announced an immediate cease-fire with Israel on Sunday following a sharp rise in violence in the past several days.
Islamic Jihad "will cooperate with the cease-fire, but maintains our right to resist the aggression," a spokesman for the military wing of the group told CNN, adding that calm "will depend upon the behavior of the occupation," a reference to Israel.
The deal was brokered by Egypt, said Abu Ahmed, as the Islamic Jihad representative refers to himself.
Israel did not immediately confirm there had been a deal, which Islamic Jihad announced hours after the Israeli Air Force struck several sites that it suspected were "terror centers" Sunday.
The air force said the Sunday attacks targeted three suspected rocket launching sites and one "terror tunnel" in northern Gaza; and two "terror activity" sites in southern Gaza, as the wave of back-and-forth attacks between the Israeli military and Palestinian militants continued.
No one was hurt in the attacks, security forces in Gaza said.
On Saturday, at least 10 people were killed in Gaza and southern Israel.FULL STORY
At least 10 people are dead in Gaza and southern Israel, in a wave of back-and-forth attacks between the Israeli military and Palestinian militants, according to medical and military officials.
The violence began when two Islamic Jihad commanders were among seven militants killed Saturday by Israeli strikes targeting a training camp in Rafah, Gaza, a spokesman for the militant group and medical sources reported.
The Israel Defense Forces said that more than 20 mortars and rockets were subsequently fired into their territory. A 55-year-old man was killed in the rocket attacks and 20 others were injured, according to Zaki Heler, an emergency services spokesman in Israel.FULL STORY
A US Airways flight attendant was found dead in his hotel room in Mexico City, company spokeswoman Tina Swail said Saturday.
Authorities are investigating the circumstances of Nick Aaronson's death, she said.
Preliminary reports do not indicate a safety breach at the hotel, according to a statement from the Association of Flight Attendants Council 66.FULL STORY
Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva will begin chemotherapy in the coming days to treat a malignant tumor in his larynx, a hospital official said Saturday.
Lula, 66, will be treated at Sao Paulo's Syrian-Lebanese Hospital, said hospital spokeswoman Mirtes Bogea. It is not clear what day the treatment will begin.
He was diagnosed Saturday morning after undergoing medical examinations, Bogea said.
"This is a localized tumor," noted Bogea, meaning that it has not spread elsewhere in the body. She added that the tumor has not metastasized, a characteristic of most cancerous cells.FULL STORY
A Miami police officer in a marked squad car has been charged with reckless driving, accused of zigzagging through Florida Turnpike traffic at more than 120 miles an hour so that he could be on time for his off-duty job, the Florida Highway Patrol said Saturday.
Officer Fausto Lopez, 35, of Miami was handcuffed at gunpoint earlier this month and charged with second-degree reckless driving, a misdemeanor, according to the highway patrol's offense report. Lopez was eventually released, authorities said.
In a pursuit videotaped on the trooper's in-car camera, Lopez led Florida highway patrol officer D.J. Watts on a seven-minute, almost 12-mile chase in pre-dawn darkness on Tuesday, October 11, the report said.FULL STORY
The United States Coast Guard said it recovered seven tons of cocaine from a narco sub, a self-propelled semi-submersible vessel that is used to transport illegal drugs. The drugs were brought to shore Monday in St. Petersburg, Florida, and will be handed over to the United States Attorneyâs Office for the Middle District of Florida where the case is being handled.
This is the third semi-submersible to be stopped by the Coast Guard in the Caribbean Sea and the second interdiction by the crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Mohawk.
âWeâve got two within about two weeks of each other,â said Coast Guard Cmdr. Mark J. Fedor, the Mohawk's commanding officer. âIt really makes you wonder how many of these things might be coming through.â
Comment of the Day:
"It's getting harder and harder to like President Obama. But the Republican candidates are way too scary to support. What's a Progressive to do?"–IBON4IT
Frustrated by what they see as President Barack Obama's failure to honor his environmental promises, former campaign donors are threatening to withdraw financial support if he fails to block the Keystone XL oil pipeline. CNN.com readers talked about their political choices, and argued over whether the economic benefits of the pipeline were worth the environmental risks.
longtooth said, "The choice is clear. You can support Obama, who at least admits the possibility of global warming and our role in it, or you can abandon him, and give the White House to Romney, Perry, Cain, or one of the others in the Flying Republican Circus."
757Matt said, "Given the current global economic issues and our continued dependence on foreign oil - unless the government is going to buy everyone a hybrid - it makes sense to sign this bill."
No9 said, "I am a Democrat, with solar panels on my roof, wind power for the rest of my electric, and a high mileage car. I support this pipeline. The product will be sold to someone. Why not us? Don't you want to buy from a friendly country? This is crazy, build it now."
mgcanmore, who identified as a geologist, said, "Protesting this pipeline is irrational. Transporting hydrocarbons has a small inherent risk regardless of how you do it: tankers, trucks, rail or pipeline. Here we have a huge source of North American oil - second only to Saudi Arabia - and these protesters want to shut it down."
But TruthToTell said, "It's not just the threat from the pipeline itself, the oil will be dirty oil from tar sands, the production and then the refining of which produce a double whammy to the environment. Clinton's State Department out-sourced its "review" of Keystone XL pipeline this year to a corporation that is a close business associate of Keystone. The results were predictable - 'the project is simply peachy.'"
[Updated at 4:27 p.m. ET] An autistic boy whose disappearance in a Virginia park five days ago prompted a search with thousands of volunteers was found alive Friday afternoon at a nearby quarry, authorities said.
Robert Wood Jr., 8, was found lying down but alert in a creek bed at a quarry near the 80-acre North Anna Battlefield Park, Hanover County Sheriff David Hines told reporters at a news conference.
The boy was flown by helicopter to a hospital, where he was reunited with his family. Hines said he didnât know Robertâs medical condition, but the boy appeared to be âin good shape.â
âWhenever a child goes missing, everyone wants to step up. And thatâs happened today,â Hines said.
Robert had wandered from his father at the parkÂ on Sunday. Robert, his father, Robert's younger brother and his fatherâs girlfriend were hiking at the park, which is in Doswell, Virginia, according to CNN affiliate WTVR.
The child was found less than a mile from where he was last seen, Hines said.
Robert is autistic and does not speak, which complicated the search, according to WTVR.
An American man detained in connection with the disappearance and presumed death of a Maryland woman in Aruba has been ordered to remain in police custody for another 30 days as authorities continue their investigation, Aruba's public prosecutor announced Friday in a press release.
An Aruban judge issued the order Friday for Gary Giordano, who was arrested on August 5 "on suspicion of involvement in the disappearance and death" of his traveling companion, Robyn Gardner, three days earlier, the prosecutor said.
Giordano, a 50-year-old Gaithersburg, Maryland, resident, has told investigators that he went snorkeling with Gardner on August 2 and that she failed to return to shore with him as they snorkeled at the southern end of the island.
Giordano's attorney had argued at a court hearing Friday that his client's "life is being destroyed" and that he should be released from custody.FULL STORY
Friday might be a day when huge strides are taken to end the NBAâs three-month lockout, with both the leagueâs commissioner and the director of the playersâ union indicating the sides are closer than ever to clinching a labor deal.
âI think weâll get there tomorrow,â NBA Commissioner David Stern said Thursday, after the sides negotiated for 22 hours over two days, including a 15-hour session Wednesday.
The sides are meeting Friday in New York. Sternâs outlook was in stark contrast to the mood among union and league officials last week, when disagreements over how to split revenue between owners and players suspended the negotiations and had the league â which already had canceled the seasonâs first two weeks â threatening to call off more games. If a deal is struck on or near Friday, games could begin in early December, according to SI.comâs Ian Thomasen.
âI think weâre within âŚ striking distance of getting a deal,â Billy Hunter, executive director of the National Basketball Players Association, told reporters after Thursdayâs negotiations.
Here are just some of the issues separating the sides and an explanation of why the sides may be close to a resolution:
- The league says it lost as much as $300 million last season, with most of its 30 teams in the red. Team owners want to address this by keeping more basketball-related income for themselves. Last year, the players took 57% of the pool, with the owners keeping the rest. For the new deal, the owners want a 50-50 split, but the players havenât offered anything less than 52.5% for themselves, CNN partners SI.com and NBA.com have reported. The gap equates to tens of millions of dollars.
Comment of the Morning:
"Do they still have to pull the sword out of the stone?"–4thwright
Girls born to the British throne can now be crowned before their younger brothers, according to changes approved by the Commonwealth of Nations summit in Australia. Future British monarchs will also be allowed to marry a Catholic, under the proposed changes. CNN.com readers explored what these changes meant and why the monarchy was still important to the Commonwealth.
Sgtgismo said, "Katie and Bill with equal billing." KellyinBoston replied, "Not quite. Kate can't be queen–She isn't an heir. She married into the family. If they have a daughter before they have a son, however, the daughter could assume the throne before the son (assuming the law is approved in all 16 countries for whom the monarchy is formal head of state)."
musings2 said, "An important move: given smaller families, all girls for William and Catherine would be a distinct possibility, and she certainly does not want to be having babies until there is a son. It would set a bad example for the zero population-growth forces. Camilla was apparently raised Catholic, so this would remove any impediment to her being Charles's queen consort."
A car bomb exploded in Aden on Friday, killing the commander of a Yemeni counterterrorism unit and seriously injuring two children, according to a Yemeni government official who is not authorized to speak to the media.
Major Gen. Ali Al-Hajji commanded a battalion of Central Security Forces troops, which includes counterterrorism units, the official said.
The bomb was planted in Al-Hajji's car and exploded while the vehicle was traveling near the 22 May Soccer Stadium, according to the official.
Two children standing near the car when it exploded, ages 5 and 14, were seriously injured by the blast and were taken to a hospital, the official said.FULL STORY
After seven months of an aerial bombing campaign that helped depose Moammar Gadhafi, NATO said Friday it was ending its mission in Libya next week.
The expected announcement from the alliance came a day after the United Nations Security Council rescinded its March mandate for military intervention.
"Today, we confirmed the decision taken by the North Atlantic Council a week ago," said NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen. "Our operation for Libya will end on October 31. Until then, together with our partners, we will continue to monitor the situation. And if needed, we will continue to respond to threats to civilians.FULL STORY
CNN.com Live is your home for gavel-to-gavel coverage of Dr. Conrad Murray's involuntary manslaughter trial.
Today's programming highlights...
10:00 am ET - Herman Cain's breakfast reception - GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain is spending the day in Alabama.Â He starts with a tea party breakfast reception in McClellan.
The International Criminal Court is having "informal conversations" about the surrender of Moammar Gadhafi's son, Saif al-Islam, who is wanted for crimes against humanity, the court's chief prosecutor said Friday.
Luis Moreno-Ocampo would not say with whom the court is having conversations. He also said the court does not know al-Islam's whereabouts.
If Saif al-Islam Gadhafi is brought before the court, Moreno-Ocampo said, he will "have all the rights and be protected," and will be allowed to present his defense.FULL STORY
Sons and daughters of British monarchs will have an equal right to the throne under changes to the United Kingdom's succession laws agreed to Friday, British Prime Minister David Cameron said.
Representatives of the Commonwealth of Nations approved the changes during a summit meeting, he said. Individual governments of the 16 Commonwealth countries which have the Queen as head of state also must agree to the changes for them to take effect.
The changes would mean a first-born girl has precedence over a younger brother. They also mean that a future British monarch would be allowed to marry a Catholic.
The changes would apply to any future children of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, who married this year.FULL STORY
Nayef bin Abdulaziz, Saudi Arabia's interior minister, has been named the new crown prince of that Middle Eastern nation.
The news, citing a royal decree signed by King Abdullah, was announced early Friday on state-run Saudi Television.
Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud, the king's half-brother, died Saturday in New York. His funeral was held three days later in Riyadh.
His death raised succession questions in the key oil-producing country at a time of turmoil in the Arab world.
As was the case with his predecessor, the move makes Nayef bin Abdulaziz the heir to the Saudi throne.FULL STORY