Probe: Pilot error caused crash that killed hockey team
People mourn victims of the crash during a memorial ceremony in Yaroslavl, Russia, on September 10.
November 2nd, 2011

Probe: Pilot error caused crash that killed hockey team

A plane crash that killed members of a Russian professional hockey club happened because a pilot applied brakes during takeoff, the state-run RIA-Novosti news agency reported Wednesday, citing investigators.

Forty-four people, including crew members and dozens of international and Russian players with the Yaroslavl Lokomotiv hockey club, died as a result of the September 7 crash outside Yaroslavl, Russia. A crew member is the sole survivor.

The club, which included several former National Hockey League players, was bound for Minsk, Belarus, where the team was to play the next day.

One of the pilots appears to have inadvertently pressed on a brake pedal while pulling on the control yoke during takeoff, said Alexey Morozov, chairman of Russia's Interstate Aviation Committee’s technical commission.

Because of the braking, the Yak-42 plane didn’t have enough speed at takeoff, Morozov said, according to RIA-Novosti.

The aircraft collided with the antenna of an airport beacon, fell to the ground and broke into several pieces and caught fire, the nation’s aviation ministry told CNN in September.

The plane was in good order, and “no failures in the operation of the airplane and the engines were found,” Morozov said, according to the state-run Itar-Tass news agency.

The IAC, which investigates aviation accidents in nations from the former Soviet Union, determined that a lack of pilot training was one of the factors that contributed to the wreck, RIA-Novosti reported.

The IAC’s report will be taken into account in a criminal investigation into who bears responsibility, Russian Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said Tuesday, according to the nongovernmental Moscow-based Interfax news agency.

Some of those on Lokomotiv Yaroslavl's roster had ties to the National Hockey League, which has teams in the United States and Canada. The former NHL players included Pavol Demitra, a former Minnesota Wild and Vancouver Canucks center from Slovakia, and Josef Vasicek, from the Czech Republic, who had played with the New York Islanders and Carolina Hurricanes. Another Lokomotiv player, Ruslan Salei from Belarus, had skated for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Colorado Avalanche and Detroit Red Wings.

Yaroslavl Lokomotiv head coach Brad McCrimmon, a Canadian who also died in the crash, also had played in the NHL and had been a Red Wings assistant coach.

One of the 44 who died, hockey player Alexander Galimov, survived for days but eventually died of severe burns, according to a hospital that treated him.

Post by:
Filed under: Hockey • NHL • Russia • Sports
  1. Hati

@Nancy: THE major cause? Really? Or A major cause?

November 3, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. CrAzY Phelp McDougal

@Banasy...those weren't copy/pastes from any posts you made here on CNN. They were words that you and your 'sista' used at one of your online "birthday parties". Your friends here don't care if you hide your pronograppy or promiscuous lifestyle! They've hidden their bibles better than you have! I'm just trying to warn you of the dangers of using such a unique s/n all over the web. Even a thief addicted to ritilim/prozac/seroquel could create a very accurate profile of you and find, say, your birthdate, and other vital stats you'd just as soon keep secret. And you don't give a ratz ass what I say, and couldn't even if you wanted to. Your dominant mental inclination that's been altered by drugs, foods, and playing around would never allow it. So stop acting like you do already.

November 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Copy/paste everything, Philip.
    Go ahead.
    I'm no more promiscuous than you are, hypocrite.
    All this does is show people how very obsessed with me since I spurned your advances and your "teachings".
    Since you are such the discloser of the truth, go ahead and copy/paste.
    I am also so glad that you've finally admitted that you are a thief that is addicted to Even a thief addicted to ritalin/prozac/seroquel. Now you're getting somewhere.
    If you think I *have* anything to keep secret, you're mistaken.
    Let it rain, Philip.

So, now you're going to say that everything I have said on FB (or the social sites) is somehow bad because I have used banasy© my entire blogging life?
    Or are you just going to finally admit that you used FB to make very strange conclusions when I actually was naïve to think you were my friend?

Print them, Philip.
    I have nothing to hide.
    Go ahead, Sparky.
    You'll know when you've gone too far with your conclusion leaping and your fabrications when *you* are in a Homeland Security Prison.

Go ahead.
    Please.

It was a fabulous online party.
    Lurking pos.
    And you're right about one thing.
    You have nothing of value to say, nor anything of value to offer people, except the wild imagination of, by your own u/n, a madman.
    Toodles!
    ;). 😀

November 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Oh, yeah, one more thing:
    Prove your assertions that "Your dominant mental inclination that’s been altered by drugs, foods, and playing around would never allow it"
    Prove I do/done any of this.
    Copy/paste my food use.
    Copy/paste my drug use.
    Copy/paste any "playing around".
    Prove it, please.
    Pretty please.
    You allegations are of a spurned wannabe who got shut down because you truly cannot hold a candle to my husband.
    So stop acting as is you can, and stop your petty, silly, delusional baby games.
    Don't even try to blame any of your lies that you're emotionally only 17, because we see that as what it is; an attempt to bully people without taking responsibility for your actions.
    Now, shut the hell up, you little odious hypocrite poser.

November 3, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. pmk1953

He must live in the place where the nuts hunt the skwirrls. Don't say anything about the spelling. I used to work with a huntin', feeshin' redneck who spelled that way. He was kinda delusional too.

November 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rose

Note that nobody gives a damn what rock you carwled out fromunda, only that you slither back under it.

November 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. raven

Philip,What the hell on wheels ?? Ive done every drug known to man, drank myself into oblivion, been abused, molested and touched my own naughty place. Ive been in therapy where my THERAPIST told me I was well-adjusted for the traumas Ive been thru. I got thru all those awful things because I WANTED to. You ADMIT youre stunted.. why ? Do you not WANT to mature? Some people thrive on conflict and picking scabs. I usually defer to those people because there is nothing i can say to dissuade them from focusing their misguided missiles of judgment on me. Havent talked to my family in years,specifically my mother for just that reason. And as for birthday parties,werent you the one talkin bout mulled wine and ski trips ??

November 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

@raven:
    Lmao!
    Oh, but it's *different* when he does it, isn't it?
    It's *justified*(?)
    *He's* not focusing on me, oh no.
    Whatta crocka!

November 3, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Uncle Ray

Its a shame ,Phillip used to be such a sweet youngthing ,now hes gittn loose in the caboose. Im talkin beer can size loose. Nothing can fix that.

November 3, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

There was a time when I would call out the person making nasty statements about Phillyboy, no more.

One deserve what he gets when continuous slander is his trademark/punishment for not being an obedient little girl...
    Have at it, ray baby!

November 3, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tif31

What a difference a day makes.

November 3, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |