Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards
Mississippi votes on a "personhood" initiative this year. Similar measures in other states have been soundly defeated.
November 4th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards

Comments of the Day:

"Why is it that everywhere I turn the religious people are trying to destroy civil rights in this country?"–shockerwhoa3

"GOP legislating morality again, I thought they were for small government?"–TheMFTruth

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he decided life does begin with conception, an issue Mississippi voters will vote on this Tuesday. Most CNN.com readers said the state amendment to define when life begins was regressive and poorly thought out.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question? Most of them are uninformed on the medical or scientific facts and are voting by their gut feelings: completely inappropriate to put such a question to the voters."

new2wi said, "This type of primitive thinking is not surprising; after all Mississippi public schools rank 50th in the nation."

discofever21 said, "This is a philosophical question as much as it is a question of science or religion. It needs continued debate so I applaud the measure on its merits at least. I personally go back and forth on the issue." CedarRapids replied, "I'm not sure making state constitutional amendments based on philosophical questions is a great idea."

rfulle12 said, "And so it begins. The attack on Roe v. Wade will be a big issue this coming election. The conservative right does not look too different than the mullahs in Iran. They want to control every aspect of our lives based on their view of religion. Scary stuff indeed!"

Capercorn said, "I'm a Roman Catholic. However, it only takes a trip to your nearest closet to be reminded that coat hangers exist. And everyone and their grandma agrees that those are bad. This is one of those many instances where something looks like it works on paper, but in practice, works horribly."

soporifix said, "It's easier dealing with stupid stuff like this than any actual problems. That's why Republicans love abortion."

MOrsini said, "We can assume that the state will take care of all the unwanted children then, meaning taxpayers will pay for each and every single one of them that is given up for adoption yet does not end up adopted ... talk about poorly thought-out propositions."

NuttinWrong said, "If people don't want kids, they don't have to have them. I'd rather hear about 2,000 abortions than 2,000 unwanted children."

MET100 said, "When men start having babies, as in being pregnant, it would be an appropriate discussion as to 'Choice.' Until then this is a woman's decision and the state has no right to interfere."

waldenu08 asked, "So does this mean that 1) child support begins at conception, and 2) corporations are NOT persons in Mississippi?"

toth88 asked, "When does America get to vote on whether Mississippi is a state?"

Put the elderly on ice?

At what point do we surrender to death, asks 83-year old sociologist and CNN.com columnist Amitai Etzioni. Regardless of age, "we should learn to accept death more readily' and "stop aggressive interventions when there is little hope," he writes. Many CNN.com readers said they wanted to be able to exit gracefully.

MindFire07 said, "I want to die on my own terms. I refuse to be forced into confinement in a bed with a useless, broken body until I finally expire.If I ever find out that I'm on Death's short list, then I'll ask him to put me on the VIP list. No need to spend resources on sustaining whatever's left of my time. Spend it on those who need it, those who need just a jump start to be productive."

LBColorado said, "For me, personally, I do not want my family to endure my pain. Therefore, if a machine is keeping me alive, unplug it. The percentages are not in my favor and I am OK to 'Let go and Let God.' "

Christie said, "Quality of life, not age, should be the # 1 criteria. What is the point in living if you are unable to enjoy the simplest things? We should all be able to say enough is enough and be allowed to go off into the sunset in peace."

AngryDeuce said, "I watched all four of my grandparents suffer and die as they were ravaged by terminal cancer. After going through that, I made a decision: I refuse to suffer needlessly. When there's no hope left for me, I plan to leave this world on my own terms, regardless of what the current legal status of euthanasia is."

But rickygf said, "There's no such thing as dying gracefully. I'm terminally ill and want every minute. I do have good health care, thanks to the VA."

COULROPHILE asked, "Can someone please explain to me why people in their 60s are getting organ transplants?" Guest said, "Try asking this again when you're 60 and lying in a hospital bed with only 6 months to live and you need a transplant. Once you experience that you will have your answer."

handshake said, " 'Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there' is an old saying."

seallover said, "I plan to live to 150 because I have a lot of work to do and intend to do it to benefit my fellow man. I don't care if I have to wear a Darth Vader suit to stay alive, I damn well better be compensated by my Medicare."

1. Philip

FACT: The youngest child to survive being birthed was 21 weeks 6 days old. So even if what you say is true [that life begins at 28 weeks as per the Supreme Court's opinion] that still leaves a lot of babyslaughter.

November 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    Thank you for the invitation.
    I've been to Colorado Springs, during the 1970s. It was beautiful then, and I think that's where I had a wonderful dinner with a lady concert manager and another performer in a revolving (?) restaurant on top of a hotel or motel.
    Lots of martinis with dinner, and then We got sloshed on Coor's beer, which was why I mentioned that brand to you a while back. Don't they make it there? I don't remember.
    I must/may have played there, but I can't remember a concert or a hall.
    The town is beautiful.
    It's my pumpkin time. I have to fly tomorrow.

November 5, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. abort joke

What's sick? A garbage dumpster full of dead babies. What's sicker? The ones on the bottom are still alive.

November 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. dr.RUFFNUTT

what do you call a cow that has had an abortion? de-calfinated

November 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Philip

He he...we've never had a "revolving" restaurant. Are you sure you weren't in Seattle at the Space Needle's revolving restaurant? HA HA! Yeah, Coor's beer is brewed in Colorado, but in Boulder, CO about 70 miles north. You may have been at our fabulous Sunbird Restaurant...the glass is curved for panoramic biewing. Maybe you were there and it was you doing the spinning? It sits on a hill above of Garden of the God's Rd. Ring a bell?

November 5, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. abort ha ha

How do you get a dead baby drowned by her own mother to float? Take your foot off of her head.

November 5, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. banasy©

@Pee:
    I'll give you an answer.
    I think god gave men free will, and the men of free will do a lot of things that God, and I, do not approve of.

When you asked you question, it wasn't clear to me, because you kept saying "your catholic God", which is not who *I* thing God is.
    I say that abortion have been around since humans began, and that it wasn't invented in the 60's, when women were finally getting tired of be oppressed by the silly rhetoric that men vomited.

Do I believe that life is sacred? Yes, I do.
    Am I going to tell anyone else what to believe, nay, *foist* my personal beliefs on them?
    No, I'm not.

Now, a direct question for *you*:

Would you go to and abortion clinic and talk just one person out of it, bring that woman home, provide all pre-and post natal care, and raise that child, *without* the mother?

You rent your extra room out to pedophiles (which you can tell just by looking in their eyes; this would be easier, since the woman is already at the clinic); why not do the same for just one child?

November 5, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. @Blabasy

You still avoided my question just like a child does. I said "legal abortions", not coathangered ones of years gone by. And I asked if you think it was [the true] God's spirit that moved men to make abortion legal. Anyway, I'm done going around in circles with you for this evening. Goodnight to you Mad um.

November 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. banasy©

@Flee when the going gets rough and stuff isn't going your way:

I didn't avoid anything; I just used you patented answer-mode.
    Maddening, isn't it?

"@Bsay… I asked you a siimple and direct question: If it is not God’s Spirit that moved men to make abortion leagal, what exactly did move them?"

I couldn't tell you; some of your reasonings are sound. Men are pigs, aren't they?

Is that lucid enough for you, Mad man?

Now answer mine.

Now, a direct question for *you*:

You are the champ at circular answers; it really p!sses you off when someone else does it, doesn't it?

It would also help if your questions were cohesive, without all the extraneous wordage that makes then hard to decipher.

I don't expect an answer from you; prove me wrong and answer.
    I say you won't.

Good night, BertandErnie.
    I'll be around.

November 5, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    Restaurant rings a bell in that I remember wondering whether it actually revolved or just appeared as if it should. Then we went about serious martini using, charming each other, and the setting up of money making.
    I go to enough places to get confused, but I know that Seattle is very different from Colorado Springs.
    What I remember about Seattle: that tower, the hotel but not its name, a beautiful opera house, and a striped sofa in the Green Room of the opera house.

November 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. PTSD War Vet prescribed drug therapy

My moststest favurt thang to do is breed white hoes, but it be like I gotta use summa ma military disabilty to chip-in fo da abortshionans. My second mostestest favrut thang is killing Iraqis and ah plans on reenlistens soon as ma PTSD is a cured.

November 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. banasy©

It's always fun and games until someone has a difference of opinion.
    The the cowards flee.

What a wuss.

November 5, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Why does anything thing–say, a spirit–have to move men to think or do something?
    Men think by themselves, even when their thinking is illogical.

November 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. PTSD War Vet prescribed drug therapy

For those of you too young to remember, back in the 60s and early 70s before abortions became legal, women who slept-around used coathangers to snag their unborn baby, and in rural areas disposed of the evidence in public waterways and reservoirs. Inner city "women" did the same, but disposed of the evidence in dumpsters mostly. Racism was still burning, and many "women" were so ashamed of themselves for having an 1/2 black baby in their womb, they coathangered based on the color of the unborn baby's skin. There were just as many abortions per capita then as there are now, perhaps even more since so many have been educated to use condoms to prevent the spread of HIV. Modern science has learned that if you make knobs on condoms, they pound the AIDS virus into submission just as modern technolgy French Ticklers make the virus laugh itself to death.

November 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jody

In this new day and age – color of skin is so unimportant. It does not matter color of skin, we are becoming such a blend – in hears to come we will all be polkadot. No one can be proud of their race and stay within that race OR they are called bigots. Anyway abortion is so popular today because women who have a large family and don't want another are wise to the fact that getting rid of a few cells before it becomes a baby is not only legal but acceptable by the more intelligent portion of the population. Religous fanatics will scream over an abortion but feel it is o.k. to have litters of babies being fertilized outside the body and implanted. As someone said here – if God wanted a woman to conceive in the normal way without that procedure being necessary. Can't have it both ways folks. You are messing with God's business either way.

November 6, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |