November 7th, 2011

Former heavyweight boxing champ Frazier dies

Former heavyweight boxing champion Joe Frazier died Monday, after he was diagnosed with liver cancer, his family said in a statement.

Frazier was 67.

He fought fellow boxing legend Muhammad Ali three times, including the famous "Thrilla in Manila" fight in 1975.

"He's a true gentleman," personal and business manager Leslie Wolff said Saturday when confirming Frazier's illness. "Along with Muhammad Ali, (he is) one of the two most recognizable athletes in the world."

Fans and well-wishers were encouraged to post their thoughts and prayers on a Facebook page at joefrazierscorner.com.

"Thank you for being such a class act," read a Facebook post written before the champ's death. "I grew up watching boxing with my dad and you were at the top of our list of exceptional fighters who were also great people."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Sports • U.S. • World
  1. banasy©

@Mirosal:
    Amen.
    That's a lovely testament to human *worth* remembering.

Of course, how long he had cancer is immaterial to his boxing career; it's doubtful that the length of his illness will be mentioned in history books, only that he died of it.
    It certainly doesn't take away from his achievements.

November 8, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mark L.

The Boxing World lost a TRUE CHAMPION and GENTLEMAN !! Smokin' Joe Frazier was one of the Greatest Legendary Fighters of ALL TIME and will Most Assuredly be Sorely Missed !! I would solely like to extend my utmost heartfelt and deepest condolences to the Family of Joe Frazier. Joe Frazier was someone I truly looked up to back in the day, when I was a child growing up in the late 1960's / early 1970's. I always admired Mr. Frazier for keeping his cool demeanor vs. listening to that "Big Mouth" Muhammad Ali rattle off about his pretty face.

Rest In Peace, Joe Frazier, Rest in Peace !!

November 8, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. Walking Zombies

How long he battled cancer is of vastly more importance than how long he boxed professionaly. How many TRULY suffer from cancer vs. how many TRUE fans of professional boxing? A man want's to be remambered for his human qualities at his funeral...not how many blue ribbons he won. Joe was a heck of a guy, especially AFTER his boxing carreer ended. To focus on that small part of his life is to ignore his biggest accomplishments as a human being...accomplishments that are rarely reported, and so rarely spoken of even at his cyber-funeral here.

To just stand-up at his funeral and say "Joe was a hella boxer" is a discredit to this man who became a very fine man, and paid his dues. I believe that Joe Frazier is truly remembered by God, not for how many men he knocked out, but for how many people he lovingly assisted and became personally involved with helping them to change for the better.

R.I.P. Joe Frazier. May God remember your life's work outside of the ring, and bring you back to life as is promised by his word.

November 8, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

The majority of boxing fans remember him for BOXING.
    Everything else he has done is icing on the cake.
    Minimizing his fans does a disservice to his memory, no matter *how* one chooses to remember him.

November 8, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. jklapper

RIP Sir,

November 8, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Well, we all know that God calls famous people to Him in threes. Why this is, we don't know. Maybe it is because the three of them have similar personalities and can comfort one another in the journey to the afterlife. Remember how within about a week of each other He called Princess Diana, Mother Theresa, and Brian Pillman?

So now we have Andy Rooney and Joe Frazier. Who's next? My money is on Tommy Chong.

November 8, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat ( in a hat )

R I P Smokin Joe

I'll never forget you showing us the bottoms of Alis shoes for the first time.

November 8, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. Black Beauty

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asyQAAdbpDk&w=640&h=360]

November 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Black Beauty

The above video included Ali, Frazier, Norton, Foreman and Holms in a Dinner after the making of (Champions Forever)
    The following video is (Chapions Forever) real good, I highly recommend it.
    Go Frazier

November 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Black Beauty

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZFsrrapOVU&w=640&h=360]

November 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Black Beauty

@ Walking Zombies
    WELL SAID, my brotha 🙂
    @ banasy, Minimizing his life outside of the ring does an even GREATER disservice, my dear.

November 8, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@Jazzz:
    I didn't minimize his life at all, and I would thank you and THAT guy from picking apart every post I make.
    If you two truly want to remain incognito, which I am certainly willing to facilitate, stop with your childish games.

November 8, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Maryland

Walking Zombies, quit acting like you didn't look up his entire bio just prior to posting so you could demolish anyone's opinion her with your "superior" knowledge! You and that little girlfriend should just leave other people alone! Who you think you're kidding I don't know! Rant and rave all you want, but just cut the hooey! We all know you and "black beauty" hate banasy, you're just fooling yourself if you don't see what we all do!

R.I.P. Mr. Frazier. No matter what, you were a hell of a fighter!

November 8, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Christopher Dycha

An ending to a golden era in boxing and piece of Americana forever gone. He's more than a man that stood up to the hype and legend of Ali. He was a USA Olympic champion that represented his country and his fighting style reminds me of what our country stands for: no matter how overwhelming the opposition, keep getting up. Be willing to take 5 hits as long as you get to make your shot. RIP. Christopher Dycha.

November 10, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |