Overheard on CNN.com: Murray was a scapegoat
Dr. Conrad Murray listens in court.
November 7th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Murray was a scapegoat

Comments of the Day:

"Justice has been served. Assisting a self-destructive man in destroying himself is a crime."–TonyWestover

"American justice system sucks. Casey, who killed Caylee, goes free; and Jackson, who was walking dead when alive, died and Murray goes to jail.–PeterDesai

Verdict reached in Conrad Murray trial

Dr. Conrad Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson. The prosecution, in closing arguments on Thursday, argued Murray was responsible for Jackson's death because his reckless use of propofol to treat Jackson's insomnia in his home was criminally negligent.

Many CNN.com readers said Murray was a scapegoat, but others disagreed. Before the verdict was announced, Bremen said, "Whether he is innocent or not, I would almost bet this man is gonna be found guilty. When people like Michael Jackson die like that, someone is taking the blame, no matter what the case."

bjj said, "Jackson was a propofol addict for years, according to his plastic surgeon, and Murray was his doctor for two months? I find it hard to believe he was convicted. This is sad."

foxxyredd28 said, "I disagree with the verdict! Dr. Murray only did what MJ really wanted him do. However he did violate medical codes and deserves to lose his license, but I feel he should not have to go to jail. I love Michael Jackson, but truth is he was a drug addict and he was going to die from drugs regardless whether it was Dr. Murray or whoever!"

AndyDaniel said, "Definitely a tough call for me. Negligent, probably, but criminally so? That's tougher. Murray obviously did not want Jackson to die. Did Murray push the boundaries of safety because he didn't want to be fired by his world-famous client? Possibly."

But lajmh said, "As a professional in the medical field, Murray knew that this drug was only used in hospital. If Michael insisted - for whatever reason - then Murray should've had Michael admitted to hospital for the insomnia."

fred72202 said, "Dr. Murray acted unethically and should at least lose his medical license and probably do jail time. It is a sad tragedy. The drugs given were not appropriate, and the equipment and staff that should have been there when those drugs are in use were not there. Gross negligence."

pel11 said, "Guilty of abusing his medical license. What a disgrace to the medical profession."

Older Americans are 47 times richer than young

The American dream may have gone pear-shaped, if new numbers on median net income are any indication. The gap in median net worth between young and old has increased to 47 to 1, up from 10 to 1 in 1984, according to analysis by the Pew Research Center. Households headed by people 65 and older were compared to those headed by people 35 and younger.

CNN.com readers argued over who was at fault. driven1420 said, "If younger people would save money instead of spending on the latest iPad, iPhone or other device, they would have more money. Older Americans learned early on it was more important to save than spend."

dallaslib said, "A 'can do spirit' just doesn't cut it anymore. If the older generation insists on believing that they have something that we don't, please, PLEASE keep your mouth shut. We're busy trying to sort this mess you made."

iPhonefanboi said, "It's OK cause we the young people can work for at least 60 years as long as we don't get fired and no kids. Kids are too expensive for young couples. I am getting a vasectomy."

SLBoston said, "The American dream is still alive and well if you are smart about it. If you get a degree in most humanities courses or other worthless subjects, you're not going to have a job. If you have a degree in the medical field, virtually any science, engineering, accounting, etc, you will probably find a job fairly easily."

Fdf Fdfhfghg said, "Not enough jobs. Too many gone to China and automation. People at the top paying themselves too much. Economic bubble shrinking. Bad schooling and parenting/too many anti-intellectuals. Free trade and pure capitalism failed."

tellnolies said, "Higher education costs were far, far lower 25 years ago, and a smaller percentage of high school grads went on to college because a degree wasn't as necessary back then to land a decent paying job as it is now."

FreeWillzyx5 said, "The first half of the baby boomers and the tail end of the generation before them had it better than any other in American history in terms of economic conditions. The young people I see tend to work their asses off just to keep from drowning, because the baby boomers climbed the ladder and pulled it up behind them."

1. Aroundwego

The good doctor contributed to Mr. Jackson' s demise. $150,000.00 a month was good enough to bend the rules. Now he has to pay the piper.

November 7, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. zoe

Human Nature

November 8, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bec

It's a sad society that we live in when we are so focused on this trial, and less focused on the real news...

November 8, 2011 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
    • kathy

For some of us, this is news! someone died! and yes there are some of us who care.

November 8, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Bec, 4:07 AM:
    You're right.
    I see that you're up early. You must work, as I do.
    The entertainment of Michael Jackson is something accessible to almost everybody's understanding, and ramifications of news items are far less accessible to most persons.
    That's one reason for the tremendous focus on this trial.
    Another is identification with a big star.
    Another is tweaking by paid press agents. A lot of money will still be made by Mr. Jackson's heirs.

November 8, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. Solitaire

I worked forty years. My niece has worked two years and saved nothing. It makes sense to me that I have been able to acrue more that the young. Not only have I worked far more than she, I had time to rise in my field to increase my income. I also have developed wisdom and perspective on financial matters. Why should she have the same degree of wealth as I? That would really make no sense.

November 8, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Solitaire

oops,sorry, that post went to the wrong news article.

November 8, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lisal

the Jackson's just needed to have some one to blame because they are to blame .Had any of them the balls to confront Micheal who although he was indeed the King Of POP and a talent the likes of we will never see again, but let's face it the
    guy was a nut job!!!!!! A possible child molestor, drug addicted nut job!
    Poor Conrad, I believe he truly cared for Michael and does not deserve jail time.

November 8, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. fernace

When John Belushi died from a speed ball OD, the woman who delivered the drugs to him took the fall! This is a similar situation, the difference being prescription drugs & having a doctor administering them instead of a pusher! Jackson obviously thought he was safe by hiring Murray for that purpose!The bottomline is that the responsible party is, of course, the person doing the drugs! If Michael Jackson was Joe Blow he would just be dead now, no court, no conviction!

November 8, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  9. XTruckerWill

Murray might be the scape goat, but he was the attending physician and left Jackson as he expired- which is a medical no no. No, Murray is at fault, but at the same time, any doctor who prescribes drugs for persons based solely on money or fame- is also responsible. We can also blame Jackson- for it appears to be an addiction to drugs and plastic surgery.

November 8, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. estrella

I disagree with the verdict, I don't think Dr. Murray set out to kill Michael, agree yes that perhaps he was negligent in not pursuing more help for Michael, but as far as killing him, there is a big stretch there. Take Casey Anthony for example who killed her daughter and threw her in a swamp in a plastc bag sorrounded with snakes and trash and she is out there enjoying her freedom, is that fair? Also was it necessary to embarras Dr. Murray further in front of his children by putting handcuffs on him while he was still seated next to his attorneys? What did they think he was going to do grab someone by the neck and strangle him, escape? They could have at least waited until the man stood up for God sakes.I don't think it's the system so much, as to the kind of jurors we are picking out these days.

November 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Correy

As a pain patient, this verdict scares me. If i get addicted to something my doctor gives me, it's my fault. I know the risks.

And I quote Wanda Sykes, who said this in comedy, yet I find it true: Michael Jackson died of Michael Jackson.

Murray IS a scapegoat.