Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi will resign
November 8th, 2011

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi will resign

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has agreed to resign, the president's office said Tuesday.

Earlier in the day parliament passed a key budget vote, but he lost his parliamentary majority.

The budget passed by 308 votes, with all those present in the lower house voting for the measure, with one abstention.

However, more than half of the country's 630 lawmakers did not take part in the vote, a clear sign of unhappiness with the government - and an indication that Berlusconi no longer commands the backing of a majority in parliament.

Opposition lawmakers chose to abstain as they did not want to prevent the budget being approved, since it is necessary for the government to function, but equally did not want to lend Berlusconi any support.

Post by:
Filed under: Italy
  1. Jerry C RI

See ya, slick.

November 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Andreas Moser

Dear Italians, please don't elect Silvio Berlusconi for a 4th time.

November 8, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!!!!!!! As an Italian American, I feel disgraced that this man could be the leader of the country of my ancestors! I like Mussolini better!

November 8, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. George Patton

I could very well be wrong, but I'm hoping that the Italians will wise up and vote the Communists into office in place of the so-called Christian Democrats and Berlusconi's henchmen. They also need to take Italy out of the Eurozone while they're at it. And better yet, out of NATO itself!!!

November 8, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George Patton

I have a pillow on my bed with a picture of Mao Tse Tung sewn in. A portrait of Vladimir Lenin is painted on my ceiling. I masturb8 every night knowing I am between them.

November 8, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Hello, Mitt Romney. It wouldn't be you who posted the above under my name, would it? If not, I'd very much like to know which Tea Partier did it and which of these broads inspired him. Could it have been Sarah Palin, Michele Bachman or Christine O'Donnell?

November 8, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bill

Hey, hey, hey....it's Bunga-Bunga time. Glad to see him hangin' in; we need more like him!

November 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@Fake JIF:
    Are you that dim that you think JIF is actually Italian because his username is an Italian CAR?
    Really?

November 8, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

@George Patton 6:09:

ROTFLMAO!
    :D

November 8, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Thanks, banasy.
    I really laughed at that Italian-American bit!
    Parlo italiano, ma non sono italiano.
    I am 3/4 English and 1/4 French. My ancestors moved from Virginia to the Mississippi Territory, and a member of my family was its governor.

November 9, 2011 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I don't own an Isotta-Fraschini, but I wish I did.
    They don't make cars the way they used to: the concept of a car's sociological statement was lost when the chauffeur started sitting inside.

November 9, 2011 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I love Italy, and I want to retire there.
    My wife has started saying she wants to live in Paris.
    Maybe it's time to talk to a...oh, never mind. Paris is too expensive.

November 9, 2011 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |