5.7-magnitude earthquake rocks eastern Turkey
November 9th, 2011

5.7-magnitude earthquake rocks eastern Turkey

[Posted at 4:14 p.m. ET] A school has also collapsed following the earthquake in Turkey's Van province, according to Turkish state broadcaster, TRT.

Video from DHA showed residents and rescuers in a floodlit nighttime search effort combing through rubble of what appeared to have been a multistory building in Van.

One survivor was pulled from the rubble of a collapsed building, but there were no early indications of how many people might be unaccounted for in the aftermath of the quake.

iReport: Are you there? Send photos, videos

[Posted at 4:06 p.m. ET] At least 18 buildings, including two hotels, have collapsed in eastern Turkey after the 5.7-magnitude quake struck, Reuters is reporting, citing Turkish state TV.

Journalists are reporting that some buildings weakened by the 7.2-magnitude quake on October 23 in the same province are now seeing structural damage. The previous quake killed more than 600 people.

[Posted at 3:55 p.m. ET] A 5.7-magnitude earthquake struck eastern Turkey Wednesday night, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The epicenter was 16 kilometers (9 miles) south of the town of Van, the USGS said, and its depth was 4.8 kilometers (3 miles). The quake hit at 9:23 p.m. (2:23 p.m. ET), it said.

Reuters is reporter that a hotel and an office building have collapsed in Van, citing Turkish state TV.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Turkey
  1. dr.RUFFNUTT

I THINK.. something is inside the earths crust bounceing around and trting to get out....

November 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Infidel

You are a moron....obviously God is mad at muslims for being silly.

November 9, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • moderateben

You sir, are a genius. Poor little dude.

November 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TheTruth72

Read Matthew 24 in the Bible. Jesus bless you my friends.

November 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Infidel

The Bible is as full of silly mythology as the Koran. While we're at it lets put santa claus to rest also. Why can't we think for ourselves without needing a sky fairy with a beard controlling us through the stylus of a goat herder, then knocking up a "virgin" to die for our sins???Really?? if you weren't indoctrinated with this crap at birth you would think its as silly as the stories the Greeks and Romans used to convince themselves was the"TRUTH".

November 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • carlos mendez

Don't worry about him let him perish along with all muslims..I think he need to repent and come to his senses.. He is the one who is fooling and deceiving himself...

November 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth72

Hello Infidel. Well, I was raised in a catholic family. But never really understood any of it. Followed things of this world and God pulled me out of it a year ago. I read the Bible and it all makes sense. I no longer follow catholic teachings. I can see the signs of the days we are living in. If you cannot, I pray you will soon. Also, God did give us free will. I choose to follow and obey Him. There are many who choose not to. We are all in a sense thinking for ourselves.

November 9, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. In Denial

There's nothing weird going on. Thousands of earthquakes happen every day. Obviously the magnitudes and occurrences are normal. It's the media that nowadays covers more news. Nothing unusual, nothing to worry. Keep shopping.

November 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Emperor Vadik, CA

Damn, I'm flying to Turkey soon...

November 9, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • carlos mendez

All you have to do is cancel your flight. What's the problems?

November 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emperor Vadik, CA

No way man...

...have you seen those Turkish babes.....

...I'm from Cali, I can go thru a few earthquakes 😉

November 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. carlos mendez

I believe God is sending some warning sign to all muslims who refuse to accept Jesus as His Son. Muslims need to repent of their sin and silly idol they worship. All muslims will perish if they do not repent of their ridiculous idol and false prophet they called moooohammed..

November 9, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • In Denial

wow! what intelligent comments. "My god is better than your god" is so middle ages. i can't believe there are still people who can say such things with a straight face.

November 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth72

Well, I agree with Carlos, my daddy is bigger than your daddy. 🙂 Let's see your daddy light a block of wood on fire that is soaked in water. But, not just muslims need to repent. Everyone who lives in sin needs to repent. Everywhere is seeing earthquakes and disaster. You may chalk it up to earth changes, but do your research on it and you will find that these are supernatural. Also, we will see more craziness in the years to come that is unexplainable to us mere humans and can only be God's work.

November 9, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ufoteacher

November 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth72

You believe NASA? Who changed their calculations about that asteroid a day before the supposed fly by? Let me see your proof of all this. My proof is in my Bible.

November 9, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ufoteacher

God shmod, you shmuck! This is a direct effect of YU55 coming into earth's orbit. NASA has already confirmed this. This would coincide with the idea that something is bouncing around inside the earth. It's the earth's magnetic field being affected.

November 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Trevor A. Lane

Oh my God, Deathwing has risen again.

November 9, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. matt

Yep. Earthquakes happen. This planet is far from dead. If there is a day when one does not occur, we should worry.

November 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth72

Earthquakes happen? Ok, can't argue there. But check out the amount of earthquakes we've had and their magnitudes in just the past year compared to the last 100 years. Does it seem like it's ramping up for something? Possibly a glorious appearing from our saviour Lord Jesus Christ?

November 9, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bubba

its the end of the world as we know it....and i feel fine

November 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. government cheese

Where are all the fracking nuts at?

November 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. God

My plan has been set into motion to eliminate my worse creation yet, humans. Through a series of monumental earthquakes across the world, and the resulting floods, disease and starvation, I will finally rid the world of the filthy humans I created.

November 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth72

Hello there you tool of satan. If you have read the Bible, you would know that God loves His creation and that He sends these signs to warn people and get them to repent of their sin. Go read the story of Noah.

November 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joe Paterno

This is God's Way of telling you people to leave me alone!

November 9, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. danny

Everybody knows that any book that was written over 1,000 years ago is filled with facts and truths.

November 9, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth72

I know books written over 2000 years ago that are filled with facts and truth.

November 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sillyhead

Will this affect my Thanksgiving dinner? I don't want that, no, I don't.

November 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |