Overheard on CNN.com: What's behind the 'oops' is worse
Two of the three agencies Texas Gov. Rick Perry wanted to eliminate were the Departments of Education and Commerce.
November 10th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: What's behind the 'oops' is worse

Comment of the Morning:

"How can an entire lineup of candidates start at point zero and continue to dig themselves into a hole? They need to call in the anomaly scientists on this one."–JustTruth1

An 'oops' that could mean 'over' for Perry

Responding to a question about working across the aisle with Democrats, Texas Gov. Rick Perry introduced his own agenda - cutting three federal agencies - and then blanked out on the third. Debate expert Todd Graham says his gaffe will do major damage to his presidential bid, reinforcing earlier bad impressions. Most CNN.com readers said the gaffe was less important than his policies.

thadea said "His policies, not his 'oops moment,' should have been his ruination." barbie1311 said, "I totally agree. I would never judge him based on that alone." TheRealist20 said, "Keeping this ignoramus out of the presidency is what really matters."

bardfast said, "Sorry Rick, but it’s not your 'oops' that has sunk you. You deny evolution. We deny your bid for the White House."

tmch4006 said, "I will vote for Obama, regardless of the GOP candidate that is selected. However, I do feel bad for Perry. I've had my moments where something I know very well slips beyond my ability to speak about. It simply means I've had a temporary brain fart. I always recover and hate the idea that people would think I'm dumb because of it. I doubt Perry is dumb ... ignorant, perhaps."

sunpacific said, "That the fifth candidate is goofy is not big news. The big news is that Republicans were actually rushing to anoint this goofball to the presidency before they even knew him. The biggest news is how scary the teapublican lack of judgment truly is."

jkota11 said, "This may be the most pathetic lineup of candidates in U.S. history." markmaximus said, "Huntsman, very smart and nuanced, speaks Mandarin Chinese! What is he doing with these clowns?"

captcorajus said, "One would think that the Republicans had a fairly easy election win considering how the economy is still tanking. A sour economy is frequently the death knell for an incumbent president, yet, this group of right-wing extremists - and dare I say, DUMB candidates - is agonizing to watch."

DzickDzock said, "He should have stuck with his thoughts on skipping the rest of the debates. At least then people would be left to guess what he's made of. Now, he's erased all doubt."

bstnfeeparty said, " 'I would ... I would do away with the education.' LMFAO, that is, I would laugh if it were not so painfully true, and sad." barbie1311 said, "In his defense, one has to remember that these guys live mostly in Jesus land, where it doesn't matter what you know, but what you believe."

newstradomus said, "OK, so Perry is pretty much finished, Cain isn't going to survive the primaries, and the tea party hates Romney; it's looking better for Ron Paul!" chrissl said, "Paul appeals to the same 10%, no matter what. Now and forever."

VinceK said, "From your lips to God's ears: 'I would love for Paul to be the nominee!
Love,
Democrats' "

1. Roger Ogilivy Thornhill

Haha! He's the Governor of Texas. Hee Hee. Oh boy! What a grand leader he must be!

November 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. ThePreacherTheTeacher

This guy was running Al Gore's campaign in TX? The republicans must have sent him as an agent of sabotage...Without his knowledge.

November 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. donnie

I can't watch anymore of these debates. The Republican party is imploding.

November 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Hank

It is sad that a smart reasonable man like Huntsman sits ignored while American's ogle over Perry (who once said Texas might secede from the Union, and denies evolution, and this other cast of people like Bachman, who obviously are not presidential material. When Obama wins a second term, the dumb GOP can look back and see they where dealing with people who can not win a general election

November 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jacy TX

Exactly Hank... they may appeal to their extreme base but they will never do so to the general electorate.. I don't think so anyway..

November 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. keith

Not ready for prime time.

November 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Pete H

I don't like Perry. I'm not for sending anyone to the White House who thinks the DREAM Act is a good idea. That being said; to those who sandbag this guy but won't sing in their church choir or even at Karaoke night after a few beers, let alone stand in front of millions; simply shut up. You don't have the credibility to criticize.

November 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. NB

Perry says he's a "talker not a doer." Sorry Perry, but for a good president those qualities go hand in hand.

November 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. marty

all I heard last night is: WE NEED LESS REGULATIONS, LESS TAXES TO THE RICH, AND LESS GOVERNMENT.....now correct me if I'm wrong but hasnt that been the same policy of the neocon movement since 1980? The same time period that we have seen millions of jobs vanish, and the middle class become more and more poor? isnt that the stated policy of the Bush administration that had complete or almost complete control of government for the 8 years preceding the worst financial disaster in the history of this country and the fastest rate of job loss to foreign countries in decades? all the while, those years so the erosion of government oversight of private corporations to unprecedented levels, and the appointment after appointment of industry insiders to the gutted regulatory agencies? and these bozos want to serve us the same recipe in the midst of the European disaster? if americans vote for any of these bozos even against their own interest , then they get exactly what they deserve!

November 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jacy TX

Exactly.. I don't understand how they get any support... it is as if the American public is under anesthesia or a complete comma... It is deeply dissapointing. I came to this country 20 years go and thought highly of the America people... what a dissapointment! I hope I can make a difference come next time for elections

November 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. judy

Is this the best the GOP has to offer?

November 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Kate Allen

I think it is a shame that the right fringe and a very small group of rich white men have taken over the republican party presidential candidate process. These candidates are the best they can put forward? Huntsman is the only one who appears to be considered a legitimate candidate yet he gets very little attention or press because he is not far enough to the right! Voters and the majority of the country are in the MIDDLE.

November 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Kenny

President Obama's participation in the Republican debates has demostrated that he can win in any enviornment. In fact he won last nights debate and didn't even have to appear in person. It appears TeapPublicans are among the President's best supporters. They are going on stage and begging him to take the election. My neighbor, who is a Life Long Republican told me this morning that he has always voted Republican and as much as he dislikes Obama, he is convienced that Obama is the best candidate running. He said that the thought of any of the Republican candidates winning the White House scares him to death and he especially scared of Michele Bachmann.

November 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. H.Mark

"President Perry, we're being attacked. We need the launch code for a retalitory strike." "Right, the launch code...lemme see...uh, wait...maybe 'prettyperry'...no, hold on, that's my Facebook login...uh, darn...(BOOM!)...oops.

November 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Michelle

Love it!

November 10, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jacy TX

EXCELLENT!!! BAHHAHAHAAA

November 10, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. s kel

Hummm maybe Rick Scarry is the product of Tea Party imbreeding that goes on a lot there.

November 10, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. liam

What a circus!!

November 10, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. bob

Another dumb Republican Texan, wasn't it enough having George Bush as President. You know if Republicans believed more in science and having a good education for everyone we wouldn't have so many dumb Republicans running for office. Of course this has been the top one percents game plan all along, keep the people dumb in order to have a steady supply of cheap labor. It's time Republican voters stop thinking about Political Party first and start thinking more about Country First if we're going to keep America strong and free.

November 10, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply