November 11th, 2011

Oops! Share your stories of Rick Perry-style brain freeze

Let's face it. We've all had our flubs or gaffes or "stepped in it" before. But when you're running for president of the United States, it just seems a whole lot worse.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has been the butt of just a few jokes since his failed attempt Wednesday night to name three federal agencies he'd like to get rid of. His last word on the matter has been dubbed "the 'oops' heard round the world."

Sure, many a politician before him has frozen in front of the camera, from Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to former President George Bush, who stared into space in a fruitless effort to name his "biggest mistake." There's even a scientific explanation for it: a "retrieval failure" in a moment exacerbated by stress, according to The Washington Post.

Now in damage control overdrive, Perry has been trying to make people laugh with him as he smiles and jokes his way through interviews, culminating in an appearance Thursday on the Tonight Show with David Letterman.

His campaign even sought to do some fund-raising off the gaffe, encouraging supporters to send $5 for every government agency they "would like to forget."

How about you? What's been your most embarrassing pregnant pause? We promise not to tell!

Post by:
Filed under: Rick Perry
  1. hellish

rron paul always keeps his cool,he could outsmart obama anyday,and keep america from sinking further into financial depression, and bring america's prosberity back or perry,romney,even cain maybe could,anybody but obama he's destroying america.

November 12, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • hellish

cnn, sorry i get carried away,i just can't stand the so called commander-in -chief,he is selling america out.

November 12, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • oh ya

now let see were we going to bomb russia , china, or opps. gee does anybody know where those missiles are going. oops.

November 12, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
    • oh ya

ron paul is ralph nader in disguise but ron paul just can't were a suit quite right

November 12, 2011 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
    • oh ya

there is three people that could bring this country back, ron paul, mitt romney and opps who is that third one, oh ya the EPA.

November 12, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. hellish

can't say anything bad about perry he's prety much has it togeather,could be a good leader,but obama's got to go,he is bankrupting america,he cannot blame it all on bush,there was at least work up to 08,again obama's got to go

November 12, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. massachusetts

You know the good part about all those executions in Texas? ...............Fewer Texans.

November 12, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
    • hellish

oh yah,i heard fewer democrats,idiot

November 12, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. tif31

@hellish

You need to recheck your statistics on the jobs up until 2008. Bush caused one of the most massive unemployment swings in history.

November 12, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • hellish

it must of happened when he left office, and depends on what stats you are lookin at,sorry.

November 12, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Ancient Texan

The largest surge in unemployment occured in November of 2008, after Obama was elected and the Business community realized that they were in deep trouble from this BUSINESS- HAting president.

November 12, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. tif31

I can tell you're one happy person, because ignorance is bliss.

November 12, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. utcac_cacui

The dems are falling faster that Obamas mom at a black panther party.

November 12, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. miscreantsall

I woud not be surprised if he survived all this! He is what America wants…………….stupid straight talkin Texan type idiots!
    The guy has a temper too (just look in his eyes)………..perfect! Exactly what we need in a President.

November 12, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. bigwilliestyles

I bet ole 'Herb' Cain is thrilled at this latest turn of events. It gets his a** off the grill for a moment. All, I mean ALL of the Tea Party favorites have fallen flat on their faces, from Palin's destruction of McCain's run to 'Hurricane Herbs' lust problem. But then, what else would you expect from a group led by a DRUG ADDICT (yes you Rush).

November 12, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. layminister herman

@mschiana I guess you ate a dilusional sandwich with your glass of obama kool aid.I operate my own
    buisness and had a whole lot more work with bush than obama . Anybody but obama in 12

November 12, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. s kel

Mmmmmmmmm NO WE DO NOT!!! God help another cowboy boot wearing clown from tex-ass!

November 12, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kenny Davis

I was playing with my band at the second-largest venue on Long Island, around 1987 or so, opening the act for Charlie Daniel. We had been practicing in the Green Room, and went onstage to open the show, before about 10,000 people. It was my responsibility, after the drummer clicked his sticks together, to start the first song, on the guitar. Well, I forgot to plug my guitar back into the amp and the song didn't start – only the drummer was playing. The bassist was literally jumping up and down saying "plug in the guitar, plug in the guitar!". Ooops. I just laughed it off – no point in doing anything else.

November 12, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Kenny Davis

Oops – That's Charile Daniels.

November 12, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. raven

One of my friends husband died and I had been avoiding seeing her face-to face afterward because I knew we would both be emotional wrecks and I wanted to prep myself so I could be strong and she could lean on me . 2 days after he died I woke up in the middle of the night craving ice cream so I got up, got dressed,jumped in the car and drove to 7-11. As I was walking into the store, there she was,my close friend,getting ready to leave the store, walking toward me. I was going over all the inspirational,comforting things I would say to her when she finally walked through the door. My heart was pounding and my mind was racing when she finally opened the door. As she got closer I could see she was already crying so I steeled myself repeating over and over : Just say Im so sorry.. As she got closer, I opened my arms to embrace her and so quietly and sincerely said: Congratulations!!

November 12, 2011 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. *cosmicvox

@raven, OMG you poor thing!!!

November 12, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. FedUpPeriod

I remember the time I got all fired up and invaded a sovereign nation based on trumped up charges of massive stockpiles of chemical, biological and nuclear weapons ready to be fired in under an hours notice. Turns out, none of that was true.

Ooops!