November 14th, 2011

Italian prime minister nominee meets with political leaders

ROME (CNN) - The economist nominated to become Italy's new prime minister began talks with political leaders Monday to discuss forming a government, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.

Mario Monti's talks with political parties will continue Tuesday, ANSA said.

After the meetings, the 68-year-old economist is expected to present a team of ministers and a government plan, and ultimately will face approval by the Italian Parliament. His mandate is to lead Italy out of its market-shaking debt crisis and push through tough new austerity measures.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Business • Europe • European Union • Italy • World
  1. RUFFNUTT ( Somalian pirate & fisherman & kcmo resident )

hope he is good at saving money...

November 14, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. justathought

I believe it is going to take more than 'austerity', it is going to take 'money'!

November 14, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Having a PM who is an economisy is a good way to start, IMO.

November 14, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RUFFNUTT

Don't expect any improvements in the Italian economy any time soon. I expect that this 68-year-old Mario Monti will pull very much the same stupid mumbo-jumbo Berlusconi did. The problem is that Italy will remain in the Eurozone and continue to use the Euro to the detriment of Italy's national economy. Furthermore, I expect this Mario Monti to blindly carry out orders from the right-wing thugs in Washington!!!

November 14, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

don't expect...I expect...the problem is...furthermore, I expect...so insightful this morning RU...

November 15, 2011 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Gee RUFFNUTT, you took the words right out of my mouth as I was about to post same thing here!!! Thank you.

November 15, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |