Overheard on CNN.com: Protest fatigue sets in for some
iReporter Jason Fialkov captured this image November 17 near Occupy Wall Street demonstrations in New York.
November 17th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Protest fatigue sets in for some

Editor's note: Readers have a lot to say about stories, and we're listening. Overheard on CNN.com is a regular feature that examines interesting comments and thought-provoking conversations posted by the community.

The Occupy movement swarmed cities Thursday as part of a "mass day" that saw protesters in New York making their first major show of strength since camps were cleared from Zuccotti Park. Large groups also gathered in Los Angeles and Portland, Oregon.

Cities face Occupy movement's 'mass day'

Several commenters said they were growing tired of the ongoing demonstrations, but others said they wanted to see the movement continue.

There was lots of back-and-forth debate that seemed to move through generations.

johnnyhouse said, "They have a right to protest, peacefully, but what are their demands and fixes for our problems? No one has said a thing except they are not going to take it anymore. Reminds me of my sons, many years ago, when they tried to run the family at times."

But 27irishgirl replied, "The idea is to change the narrative to make you think. Because once you do, you will be horrified that what used be the largest democracy in the world no longer exists."

iReporter Jason Fialkov passed protesters on his way to work Thursday, including a person dressed as Cookie Monster and holding an Occupy Sesame Street sign. He also spotted two men that were encouraging people to grab a sign and join a counterprotest, and shared photos on CNN iReport. Fialkov said he does agree with the ideas underpinning the Occupy movement, but said he thinks many of the demonstrators are "misguided."

"I spoke with some people who seemed genuinely knowledgeable about how our financial system is backwards, but too many chaos-lovers and attention seekers have joined the rallies," he said.

FreThinker13 said, "America has heard you loud and clear, OWS.  You would rather take my wealth by force, than work hard, innovate, and take the calculated risks necessary to capitalize and create your own wealth.  Do America a favor, let the workers in the financial industry go to work and the small business owners to make a profit."

But Samson1975 wrote, "How can anyone in their right mind continue defending a system that's so broken? It harms the people it's supposed to serve and destroys the world around it. Shame on you. Future historians will look back and commend those who were willing to fight the good fight and take the moral high ground. As step one we need to stop private finding of political parties and bring in a publicly funded model. Stop the bribes!"

Some commenters said Occupy protesters need to target their efforts. thenog said:

"I am 100 percent behind the Occupy movement. However, you need organization, a cohesive message and leadership to make it a real force. You need to remain peaceful or your support will erode. Let Michael Moore and others take your message to the people through the media and organize into peaceful marches/protests, I can't stress this enough. Passive resistance is your right but when it crosses into civil disobedience you cross the line into breaking the law."

Check out what readers are talking about, and let us know if you agree or disagree with what they're saying. Join the conversation below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or, sound off on video via CNN iReport.

If you've witnessed Occupy demonstrations in your area, contribute your photos and videos to the CNN iReport open story.

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

November 18, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. michaelfury

Better yet: "Get an Inside Job"

November 18, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. jake

Its gonna be cold wintertime soon. Let these spoiled brats protest in the sleet and snow. Maybe they will find out what the real 99 percent face. I work outside every day regardless of weather. Bet these spoiled brats have never done an honest days work in their lives.

November 18, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I just read jackinlondon's 3:57 AM post.
    It is forthright and true beyond the imagination of most workers.
    He works in an office.
    Basically, he works all of the time.
    I do too. I play the piano for a living. What could appear to be easier than that? Just sit and "tickle the ivories."
    You have no idea.
    Even when I'm resting, I'm working.
    BTW–even though I have to be in a union to work WITH other musicians, that union is unrelated to any work that I get or almost every penny that I earn.
    jackinlondon is a real worker.

November 18, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Bet you're wrong about that, jake.

November 18, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

I would love to know where the misconceptions came from that the good people protesting with OWS aren't "real workers".

November 18, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. Name*one too many

That's what they want is a job. Most of those kids went to school and can't find work.

November 18, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

A college degree is no guarantee of a job.
    The problem is often the field in which an unemployed person earned a degree.
    Many in my field (music) have degrees from Juilliard and Curtis, but they will never get the work they want, or even any work in music at all.
    Art is different, of course: one usually does it "because he has to."

November 18, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Captain-obvious

To the gentlemen holding the "Occupy a Desk" and "Get a Job" signs...
    Duh, why do you think people are protesting?!

/facepalm.

November 18, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. John Ashworth

I find that ignorance is bliss with wall street. They hold the signs "Get a Job". Well let me tell you this Wall street, It took me SIX months to get a job. I'm 25 years old, I haven't been to college, here's the kicker...,.I'm a Veteran, Instead of college i did two tours in Iraq, for you....so you could have $15,000 paychecks for sitting on your asses. How about the people who work hard and do right.... why should we suffer. It's your money, made by politics and today's leadership, so us struggling high class, now medium- low class people have to suffer by your hunger for money. WHY DID I FIGHT FOR AMERICA? WHY DO ANY OF US CARE ANYMORE? I WOULD NOW RATHER JUMP THE BORDER INTO MEXICO THAN BE HERE, PRESENT DAY. THIS AMERICA, IS HOW THEY MAKE VETERANS FEEL!!!!!!!!

November 18, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ John Ashworth:
    I agree: you should have gone to college instead of doing two tours in Iraq.
    Then, if you had done very well in college, studying in a field where there is a demand for good workers, you might be able to find a job.
    Have you considered studying nursing?

November 18, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@John Ashworth:

I am sorry that the US corporations are treating you so shabbily, considering they are the ones whose freedom you are really protecting.

In any case, I, for one, salute you for your service to your country, and I hope that you will find a job that pays you a livable wage.

November 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |