White House shooting suspect to be charged with assassination attempt
Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez was arrested in Pennsylvania. Investigators allege he was involved in a shooting outside the White House last week.
November 17th, 2011

White House shooting suspect to be charged with assassination attempt

A man accused of firing shots near the White House last week will be charged with attempting to assassinate the president or a member of his staff, a federal prosecutor said Thursday.

Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez, 21, of Idaho, was arrested in western Pennsylvania on Wednesday. Investigators believe he was involved in a shooting Friday night that may be responsible for two bullets found on the White House exterior on Tuesday, according to the Secret Service.

One bullet hit a window and was stopped by bulletproof glass, and another was found on the White House exterior, the Secret Service said.

Ortega-Hernandez will be charged with attempted assassination, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jimmy Kitchen said at Ortega-Hernandez's first federal court hearing Thursday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • District of Columbia
  1. banasy©

@Ed:
    There aren't any laws against bad marksmanship, only *good* marksmanship...

November 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@Ed:
    Just like the statues of John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, and Sirhan Sirhan, those great patriots?
    I tend to think they were batsh1t crazy.
    Nothing noble in that at all.

November 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. s kel

Ed,when you get shot and killed ( I hope real real soon) will there be a statue for the hero that shot you?

November 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Andreas Moser

I thought President Obama was not even at home at the time.

November 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim R

Why is it from "nut jobs" to governments, it seems to be the way about bringing "peace" to the world always has something to do with killing? Especially killing the ones who don't think like "we do". Were Jesus and Ghandi on the wrong path?

November 18, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. pin

Really? Oboy that guy's gat dreams!

November 18, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Henry Massingale

Well, President Obama,
    Its looks like one of the Reapers,/ a byMassingale News Concept,
    A Reaper shoot at the White House, a what was it a heroin addict, back street or Oxy Heroin, makes no different, it does the same thing as it changes the human mind into a concept of life of people as no more as a bug to be stepped on. But the Secret Service worked fast on this but I just got to know, what happened to the White House Member who was seen stumbling around at the House and found dead in a garbage dumster ?
    My my my, what a small world you Government Officials got yourself into, welcome to the real world where what you created by your own hands came back to haunt you. But I am still up set because of your lack of insite costed the life of a child and others.
    I do welcome you all , you Honorable Members of Congress to the 2012 Elections and then 2014 Elections. There is a very good chance that almost all of you will be voted out of Office.
    I do assure you Operation Clean Sweep / byMassingale is covering the web to just start over with new people for Office, we are tired of being in the Company Of Death, we are tired of your addicts shooting up our loved ones, and so many crimes so hannous, that the memory of that crime against family memebers will be remembered for ever. Because of your Heroin.
    My name is Henry Massingale and I approve this message.

November 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Voice of Reason

You sound very intelligent. Your argument has a clear thesis, supportive points, and specific, tangible examples. I especially enjoyed "But I am still up set because of your lack of insite costed the life." Wonderful.

November 23, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. lee harvey oswald

too bad he wasnt sucsesfull. for such a nation of "haters" not many have been willing to "bear arms"

November 23, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ty

The president wasn't even there. This is more like destruction of property, vandalism, terrorism, or something else. But if the president wasn't even there at the time then I don't see it as an assassination attempt. He was trying to kill the devil, not the president anyway.

November 23, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |