November 20th, 2011

California campus police on leave after pepper-spraying

The University of California at Davis placed two police officers on administrative leave after they pepper-sprayed non-violent protesters at point-blank range, the school announced Sunday.

Video of the Friday incident has led to calls for the resignation of UC-Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi, who made the announcement of the officers on leave in a written statement Sunday afternoon. Katehi said she shares the "outrage" of students and was "deeply saddened" by the use of the chemical irritant by campus police.

"As chancellor, I take full responsibility for the incident," she said. "However, I pledge to take the actions needed to ensure that this does not happen again."

The school said the 10 protesters arrested were given misdemeanor citations for unlawful assembly and failure to disperse. Eleven protesters were treated for the effects of pepper spray, which stings the eyes and induces coughing, gagging and shortness of breath.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • Occupy Wall Street
  1. JAMES DOW

FIRE THEM!
    My friends in Eastern Europe are Shocked at what they are seeing!
    How does this look to the rest of the World?
    They should be ashamed of themselves and relegated to the poverty they seem to despise by being fired and forever saddled with the shame of what they have done, the way they've treated their Peaceful fellow Human Beings is appalling!

November 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Thank you, JAMES. I couldn't agree more! These guys are employed and have no idea of what it's like to be poor and unemployed and not to be able to pay their bills!!!

November 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherri

I agree. I mean they were not being threatened in any way. The protesters were sitting down. Passively. Sitting, doing nothing to harm anyone. And you can clearly see the police walk up to them and spray them as closely in the face as they could. I think they have no business in that line of work. AND should be sued for assault. They are creeps. It's one think if they were being threatened, or assaulted, but no one was throwing rocks at them, shooting them, punching them. They just wanted to assault some college kids.

November 23, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mi Tierra

Is there anyone whose name you won't steal, George Patton troll? Jerry's been here what, 1 day?

November 20, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jesu

They pepper sprayed people sitting down. Stupid little men with a Napolean complex. Fire them!

November 20, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BOMBO

Sad, yes. But you've gotta admit, it was also pretty funny. The 'cop' and his WWE type gestures before unloading the canister had me laughing. And you laughed too, admit it. Also, did this guy really not consider that EVERTHING gets video-ed nowadays?

November 20, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George Patton

I think it is immoral when the right wing thugs in Washington are spraying peaceful protesters, but it is fine when the Russian, Chinese, and Cuban police do it.

November 20, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

I see that some mindless Tea Partier here is trying to be funny by usurping my name and posting the above to discredit me. Of course I never condone such action by anybody! I guess that these Tea Partiers don't like to be proven just how dumb they are!!!

November 21, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. **cosmicvox *

It's time to watch "The Road Warrior" again so I can remember how great Anarchy is.

November 21, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |