Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday
November 25th, 2011

Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday

Black Friday's not for everyone.  As crowds accumulate and shoppers get rowdy at retail stores nationwide, more and more Americans are declaring they're over the biggest shopping day of the year.

With pepper sprayings, a tasing and other Black Friday-related violence across the country, outrage is surfacing under the Twitter hashtag #F--BlackFriday. Amid critiques of consumerism run amok, some are calling on the American public to patronize local businesses instead.

"Hmm. Pepper spray? Gunshots? Parking lot robberies after midnight? hahaha #F--BlackFriday You suckers can have it," RoxinalRanger tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

The loudest groans appear to be coming from store employees, many of whom have been on their feet for hours with no end in sight.

"It's only been 9 hours? F– me. Here till 5 PM! Who starts work at midnight and gets off at 5pm," one worker tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

"I've never hated people or my job more than I do right now. I really hate everyone in this store. I really truly do," another tweeted.

"I already wanna strangle customers," another said.

For their part, shoppers also appeared to growing weary of the long lines and growing hostility.

"It has gotten to the point were I actually hate shopping.. #f-blackfriday #neveragain," @GabrielMaguina tweeted.

Others expressed frustration that they could not go shopping for ordinary items without braving crowds.

"Is there any store in the world I could go to and not need to wait 3 hours to buy a razor and eyeliner," Eye-V tweeted.

Others simply had other priorities: "I like sleep more than low low prices," @BenKuzmicz said.

Many CNN.com commenters vowed earlier this week to avoid Black Friday by shopping earlier, with some arguing that its popularity is emblematic of what’s wrong in the United States.

“Bargain hunting and using credit cards to pay for majority of purchases; US consumers (are) overburdened with debt and cannot stop just like the US government," larryking11 said, in one of the comments featured in Thursday's Overheard on CNN.com post.

"I am boycotting Black Friday and spending time with my friends and family instead of shopping. And to those retailers opening up on Thanksgiving night ... I will not be shopping at your stores at all this holiday. You are nothing more that a bunch of greedy grinches," Blackrhino said.

Some who associate Black Friday with overwhelming crowds and capitalism at its ugliest are saving their pennies and energy for Saturday.

Now in its second year, the American Express-sponsored "Small Business Saturday" is billed as "the day we celebrate the Shop Small movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S."

On the event's Facebook page, which has more than 2.5 million fans, users are sharing shopping plans and businesses are throwing out sale pitches.

"Love shopping small mom and pop shops – always get the best stuff and unusual stuff," one shopper said.

Another user, presumably a retail employee, pledged "to give everyone the kind of service they don't get online or in the 'big box' stores. Service is what makes small business better."

However, other commenters on the Facebook page expressed skepticism over American Express' involvement.

"I love that this is presented by American Express....because that doesn't scream hypocrisy...." one user said.

"Question: Is American Express reducing its transaction fees for small businesses this weekend (or forever?)? Most of my local retailers can't afford to take AmEx!" another said.

American Express is using the event to encourage shoppers to use their AmEx cards. Cardholders who register an eligible American Express Card and use it for a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26 will receive a one-time $25 statement credit, according to the Facebook page.

The push to patronize local business comes amid wider backlash against Black Friday. Earlier this week, organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement urged protesters to occupy major retailers on Friday. So far, there have been no reports of major protests.

At least one small business urged shoppers not to buy from them on Friday. TheOldTry, a Boston-based print shop specializing in homages to the South, urged shoppers to reconsider the reason for the season.

"I'd prefer you not buy anything from us nor anyone else tomorrow and you spend time with friends and family. #tistheseason # honesty," the store tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy • Holidays
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

When I was a gullible child, a newspaper in Meridian, Mississippi, ran an article about Hitler's having been found alive, arrested, and jailed in Meridian.
    So many CNN articles about shopping and Black Friday are equally as unworthy of attention as that one, which ended, "April Fool!"

November 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • nickids

I totally agree. I went to the stores today and the crowds were fine. It is obvious that the CNN polls do not represent what I seen today in the major stores.

November 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

So b/c nothing happened where you went, nothing happened? O.....k......

I think a woman pepper spraying people over an Xbox is newsworthy. It shows just how far we have sunk as a society, for one thing.

November 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

I'm making everybody's gifts this year. I've been saving up old pantyhose legs just for this reason. Everyone's getting tan potholders.
    Oops, the secret's out.

November 25, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@JIF:
    Today being the first "official" shopping day of the season, I have to wonder if we're going to be treated to these same inane stories for the rest of the month?

November 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • kornholling

Stories is right! All lies. Nobody has enough money to buy anything!!!

November 25, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

korn...what makes you think they were using real money?

November 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

I meant for the next month.

November 25, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat ( in a hat )

I read in the news yesterday that they expected 152,000,000 people to be out for these black friday deals. Damn. thats near half the population of the US. All these people just donated 90% of their holiday budget to overseas countries through the efforts of wal mart and others. Now out of the goodness of their hearts, they're going to grace our mom and pop stores with the rest. That is so big of them. Well all I can say is, Merry freakin' Christmas from the few that don't matter anymore.

November 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • kornholling

All BS. CNN blowing smoke up butts and trying to drum up business for stores that are rapidly failing in this broken society of ours. I would bet that this coming Christmas is the worst on record for sales. The US is dying at rapid pace now!!!

November 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

korn...yeah, they're just making it all up. It's not like it happens every single year or anything.
      Explain to me how they are "drumming up business" by running stories about people getting tasered, shot at, and maced?

November 25, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    What a great idea for Christmas gifts.
    I'm trying to figure out what I could make out of my old white gym socks.

November 25, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I know:
    Quilts.

November 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joe

black friday- isn't that a movie with ice cube?

November 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. inspiredhomecooking

Consumerism at its worst. So the very few big retail stores do well...and the small shops do? I've had my day of buying into it and now I know better. I'd much rather make gifts and enjoy the season rather than the frenzy and the trappings that go away too easy.

November 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. rikers

It's time to end the fiasco. There is always one or more bad apples who spoil it for the rest of the people who are civilized.

November 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brett Oconnor

Black Friday.........Buy The Best Electronics
    ........ http://www.buythebestelectronics.blogspot.com

November 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brett Oconnor

Black Friday............... http://www.buythebestelectronics.blogspot.com

November 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kornholling

I was in Walmart today and it was empty! Anyone could have ripped off the entire contents of the store and not even a cashier was to be seen!!!

November 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

Um. Right.

November 25, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

My beautiful and aristocratic grandmother, who crossed figure sevens, hooked ones, and easily spouted phrases in Elizabethan English grammar, would say at this time of the year, "money is the most popular gift."

November 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. barbara451

November 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. barbara451

we are currently 135% above the capacity of our planet to replace essential "services" like clean air, clean water, arable land, healthy fisheries, and stable climate. Our over consumption is eating into the very ecological systems that all the world's economies – and indeed, all life – depend on. If that is troublesome, consider the Global Footprint project that in 2050 we'll be 500% above capacity unless we change how we make, use and throw away stuff.

November 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will S

Not according to Buckminster Fuller.

November 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |