Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday
November 25th, 2011

Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday

Black Friday's not for everyone.  As crowds accumulate and shoppers get rowdy at retail stores nationwide, more and more Americans are declaring they're over the biggest shopping day of the year.

With pepper sprayings, a tasing and other Black Friday-related violence across the country, outrage is surfacing under the Twitter hashtag #F--BlackFriday. Amid critiques of consumerism run amok, some are calling on the American public to patronize local businesses instead.

"Hmm. Pepper spray? Gunshots? Parking lot robberies after midnight? hahaha #F--BlackFriday You suckers can have it," RoxinalRanger tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

The loudest groans appear to be coming from store employees, many of whom have been on their feet for hours with no end in sight.

"It's only been 9 hours? F– me. Here till 5 PM! Who starts work at midnight and gets off at 5pm," one worker tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

"I've never hated people or my job more than I do right now. I really hate everyone in this store. I really truly do," another tweeted.

"I already wanna strangle customers," another said.

For their part, shoppers also appeared to growing weary of the long lines and growing hostility.

"It has gotten to the point were I actually hate shopping.. #f-blackfriday #neveragain," @GabrielMaguina tweeted.

Others expressed frustration that they could not go shopping for ordinary items without braving crowds.

"Is there any store in the world I could go to and not need to wait 3 hours to buy a razor and eyeliner," Eye-V tweeted.

Others simply had other priorities: "I like sleep more than low low prices," @BenKuzmicz said.

Many CNN.com commenters vowed earlier this week to avoid Black Friday by shopping earlier, with some arguing that its popularity is emblematic of what’s wrong in the United States.

“Bargain hunting and using credit cards to pay for majority of purchases; US consumers (are) overburdened with debt and cannot stop just like the US government," larryking11 said, in one of the comments featured in Thursday's Overheard on CNN.com post.

"I am boycotting Black Friday and spending time with my friends and family instead of shopping. And to those retailers opening up on Thanksgiving night ... I will not be shopping at your stores at all this holiday. You are nothing more that a bunch of greedy grinches," Blackrhino said.

Some who associate Black Friday with overwhelming crowds and capitalism at its ugliest are saving their pennies and energy for Saturday.

Now in its second year, the American Express-sponsored "Small Business Saturday" is billed as "the day we celebrate the Shop Small movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S."

On the event's Facebook page, which has more than 2.5 million fans, users are sharing shopping plans and businesses are throwing out sale pitches.

"Love shopping small mom and pop shops – always get the best stuff and unusual stuff," one shopper said.

Another user, presumably a retail employee, pledged "to give everyone the kind of service they don't get online or in the 'big box' stores. Service is what makes small business better."

However, other commenters on the Facebook page expressed skepticism over American Express' involvement.

"I love that this is presented by American Express....because that doesn't scream hypocrisy...." one user said.

"Question: Is American Express reducing its transaction fees for small businesses this weekend (or forever?)? Most of my local retailers can't afford to take AmEx!" another said.

American Express is using the event to encourage shoppers to use their AmEx cards. Cardholders who register an eligible American Express Card and use it for a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26 will receive a one-time $25 statement credit, according to the Facebook page.

The push to patronize local business comes amid wider backlash against Black Friday. Earlier this week, organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement urged protesters to occupy major retailers on Friday. So far, there have been no reports of major protests.

At least one small business urged shoppers not to buy from them on Friday. TheOldTry, a Boston-based print shop specializing in homages to the South, urged shoppers to reconsider the reason for the season.

"I'd prefer you not buy anything from us nor anyone else tomorrow and you spend time with friends and family. #tistheseason # honesty," the store tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy • Holidays
  1. barbara451

this is the post that was supposed to be in the previous comment box.

we are currently 135% above the capacity of our planet to replace essential "services" like clean air, clean water, arable land, healthy fisheries, and stable climate. Our over consumption is eating into the very ecological systems that all the world's economies – and indeed, all life – depend on. If that is troublesome, consider the Global Footprint project that in 2050 we'll be 500% above capacity unless we change how we make, use and throw away stuff.

November 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • nickids

Any ideas on how we can fix this? I try to do my share of recycling but unless other countries help out, this is all lip service.

November 25, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mary

There is no way I would get up at the crack of dawn and fight for a few items..
    The way they set these sales up, where only a few can actually get the product.. Is dangerous.. Depending on who you are dealing with...And how aggressive they are.
    I think the whole thing is nothing but a disaster waiting to happen..
    One day I think the way they conduct these sales will be outlawed.. Its dangerous..

November 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Liz

Is all this really necessary? Camping out for days, to get "deals" on things we don't need. It's ridiculous, and every year we look like a country of money-hungry, materialistic fools. Morons.

November 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pcat

52% of Americans didn't pay federal income tax last year. I paid a boatload, yet I'm the one with a tiny tv and who can't afford to shop anywhere besides Goodwill on black Friday. Sigh...sometimes life doesn't seem fair.

November 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pcat

can't wait to pay off these damned student loans in a decade..

November 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JohnRJ08

The whole phenomenon of "Black Friday" is disgusting. These people should have stayed home with their kids and watched "Miracle on 34th Street". They're just climbing each other like ants on a picnic blanket, swarming to buy cheap junk made in China.

November 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. emptystores2011

I had to go to sam's club today. I went to get normal houeshold supplies....tp,ink cartridges, chocolate covered raisin's..etc..etc I went at 1p.m,. the store was hardly full ? that store is packed on saturdays.. but not today the employees were saying it hadnt been busy all day...looking at the rest of the chain stores it seemed they were fairing about the same . I dont feel its going to be the huge spending event they were hoping for...maybe we are learning?....

November 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

....WE CAN ONLY HOPE..

November 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

my problem with black friday is that most employees are not even able to ask for that day off, meaning that any retail workers who live away from their family will have to either head to the airport halfway through thanksgiving dinner, or skip seeing their family all together, just so the store they work at can have them come in and work in the middle of the night. meanwhile the executives are taking a 4-day weekend, or more.

November 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kael

A gift from the heart is better than a gift from the wallet, unless you have no heart. Dont forget that Jesus is the reason for the reason, not the biggest box under the christmas tree. What a shame.

November 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kris

spend it spend it dummies, feed all these greedy corps that pay min wage to workers. you are just all so smart

November 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

..ome January/Feb when the bills ome and theyre unemployed they will have earned their just desserts

November 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pcat

What a lot of people don't seem to get is these 'cheap' electronics are just being baselined in price for the next year. Wait a few months and that great sale price will be the sticker price on that new game console/tv etc.

November 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jordan

I am not going to buy into this Black Friday BS.If I do want to shop I will not be going to a Mall Store ever.Local Business is the way to go.Big Box stores do no good at all for the many small local businesses in the USA.I boycott all Mall Chain Stores.
    And I should also state that I have never gone to a Black Friday Sale and I never will !!! I have much better things to do with my life than feed more Corporate Greed and more buying of stuff.
    I need a job ! I am unemployed like millions of others.That is what we need in this country is more jobs and less Mall Stores.

November 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • nickids

I know how we can fix this problem. First get rid of the internet, computers and cell phones and maybe people will go to the stores like they did years ago and then we can hire more people. I forgot one thing, bring all oversea jobs back to America.

November 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Base

Too many materialistic people.... It's over populated with MATERIALISTIC PEOPLE... WAY TOO MANY.
    Others suffered. What's wrong with WESTERN MATERIALISTIC WORLD? It reduces numbers of intelligent people and increase more buying product people that go wasted.

November 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GeorgeGray

Why not Occupy Christmas? Falling sales tax receipts will remind an unresponsive gov't of the problems it neglects. Further, falling retail sales will "tank" the stock market, reminding the 1% of their neighbors.

November 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Disgusted

Visiting a Best Buy store to make sociological observations, yielded no surprises.

People lined up like cattle going to slaughter to check out inconsequential items that they saved a few bucks on and now were waiting for likely 30 minutes or more to check out. If this represents the apex of civilization, then we're in for a very rough ride on the way back down.

November 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pcat

The irony is these 'blockbuster sales' at places like Best Buy will be the going sticker price in a few months. Electronics are constantly dropping in price.

November 25, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Right now everybody needs to sit down and reread O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi."
    The things that I cherish most are gifts that my wife sacrificed for when we didn't have much money.

November 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • abdulla oblongata

Thank you, that's a great read!!!

November 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. d

..MAYBE PEOPLE ARE GETTING SICK OF THE RAMPANT MATERIALISM AND GLUTTONY...MAYBE THEYRE BEGINNING TO SEE THROUGH THE EFFORTS OF THE CORPORATE MANIPULATION, ,MAYBE THEYRE BEGINNING TO REALIZE THAT A FEW TRINKETS TODAY ISNT WORTH THE ANXIETY OF THE EXORBITANT CREDIT CARD BILLS COME JANUARY, FEBRUARY AND MARCH...WE CAN ONLY HOPE..

November 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |